Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Arrow Six Flags - Arlington, Texas

Does Six Flags equal more fun as the current commercials tout? Ummm, not in my opinion. While I did enjoy my time there since it was something different, I must admit that my experience there was rather bland - nothing that would have me coming back for more.

PART 1:

I ended up going on a Friday, so the crowds weren't that heavy and made the line times very manageable. The park opened up at 10:30 and I was able to go through the whole park by 3pm. Mind you I didn't ride everything. I wanted to try out Titan and Texas Giant, but I left them for the end. By that time I had a slight headache and the humidity was getting to me - so I skipped them.

I couldn't sleep the night before so I arrived an hour early and lined up to go through the parking booths. I was surprised to see that parking was $15!!! They didn't even have a parking structure!!! I had to park my car out in the hot Texas sun.

OMG!!! I'm finally here!!!!

Even the geese were waiting for the park to open. Why does it have to open so late???

What's up with the pseudo-DCA hours?? I also can't believe that I paid $15 for parking!! What was I thinking?

Taking a page from the DLR TR's, taking a pic of where I parked in case I forget. Or in case I'm so dazed from all the roller coasters that I can't see straight.

That's "La Vibora" with "Titan" in the background. They were testing the rides in the morning, and I was nicely surprised by "La Vibora" - which is a bobsled type roller coaster that rolls around freely on the track (except at certain points). I have to admit this ride was fun ... "Titan" on the other hand ... I'll tell you about that later.

At least the entrance was nicely themed, and I did enjoy the classical music selection they played as we were waiting for them to open the gates. It also seemed that most folks did what I did - bought their ticket online for $29.99.

A little history, which has nothing to do with what is beyond the entrance gates - except for the "themed" lands.

Really? Somehow I disagree that these are exclusively at Six Flags Over Texas ...

The crowds at rope drop were INSANE!!!! I have to admit that the first thing I did when they dropped the rope was go into the store on the left. I figured I had all day so what the heck - one thing I did like was the Justice League merchandise.

I love this guy!

How cute!

My favorite of the characters ... Wile E. Coyote!

Oh my!!! PINS!!!! Of course I bought a few, although I was sad there wasn't any pin trading going on ... .

One of the most exciting "lands". If by exciting you prefer two sorry shops ... at least that's all I really noticed.

Seems like everything was going to be open AFTER the weekend I was there, but at least the crowds were minimal. I do want to go back soon though to see Coobrila, which is a Cirque performance and looks like it would be worthwhile.

This ride here. This ride, right here - it will have you BEGGING for Rockin' Space Mountain. Seriously, it will. If you are ever here DO NOT GO ON THIS RIDE. It looks cool and exciting on the outside, but inside - nothing! This is just an enclosed roller coaster. There is no music or lights, not even go-go girls, just dark ... and the sound of the roller coaster roaring through the tracks. That's it.

Wait! What? Am I in Frontierland??

Or, maybe it's Knott's??

Part 2 will be coming tomorrow, but I have to admit at the start I picked some pretty bad rides to go on that I almost was tempted to leave ... but I fought the urge and actually did venture further to find some enjoyable spots and rides.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Six Flags - Arlington, Texas

Thanks for the TR Liz. I'm sorry you didn't seem to enjoy the park.

I love La Vibora as well, but did you know it's the Bobsleds that used to be at Magic Mtn? True story.

Looking forward to the rest.

Great pictures. It is cool to see pictures from the other Six Flags parks, considering I have only been to SFMM and SFDK.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Thanks for the TR Liz. I'm sorry you didn't seem to enjoy the park.

I love La Vibora as well, but did you know it's the Bobsleds that used to be at Magic Mtn? True story.

Looking forward to the rest.
    You know, I have to admit that for a thrill seeker this park would be a blast. Alas, I am no longer in that category when it comes to amusement parks. After being jolted around on some of those I started to realize that I couldn't handle some of those rides like I used to.

One thing I have to say is that the park was VERY clean. There wasn't trash anywhere - nor grafitti.

• Circle of Ancients

Great TR so far Liz.

Seriously, Titan looks pretty tame.

I love Pepe Le Pew too.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I want more reporting and pictures Liz, really I can't wait to see what else Texas 6 Flags has to offer.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    You know, I have to admit that for a thrill seeker this park would be a blast. Alas, I am no longer in that category when it comes to amusement parks. After being jolted around on some of those I started to realize that I couldn't handle some of those rides like I used to.

One thing I have to say is that the park was VERY clean. There wasn't trash anywhere - nor grafitti.
    Yeah, it was even clean when we were there 4 years ago, before Six Flags started improving it's parks.

Did you get a chance to ride the boat/log ride thing with the Looney Tunes characters? Do they still have the Spongebob 3D thing? That was pretty cool from what Belle said. I didn't see it, I was too busy riding coasters.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    Great TR so far Liz.

Seriously, Titan looks pretty tame.

I love Pepe Le Pew too.
    I almost blacked out on Titan.

Anyway, I really like Six Flags Over Texas. It is one of the better regional parks in America. It's no Disneyland, but what other park is?

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

It's not a bad park at all and there are quite a few things to do for all ages. Still, living less than 30 minutes away, we go once a year, at most. I have to admit that I've never actually thought it was that clean. I remember swarms of bees around overflowing garbage cans, because I'm allergic. The coasters are very fun, though, and I love that they have the kid area but they also have rides scattered throughout the park that little ones can enjoy. So, if you're waiting for someone to go on a coaster, you've got something else to do and they can go ride again if you want to go, too.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Thanks, Liz!

Looking at this tr really has me excited to take my brother and his wife and kids to DL today. They are from Texas but from Houston. I think there is still Astroworld near them but I didn't ask them if it's still there.

And thanks too, Clinks. I never knew the Sarajevo Bobsleds are now at this park. If I ever go I'll have to go on that ride!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Thanks, Liz!

Looking at this tr really has me excited to take my brother and his wife and kids to DL today. They are from Texas but from Houston. I think there is still Astroworld near them but I didn't ask them if it's still there.

And thanks too, Clinks. I never knew the Sarajevo Bobsleds are now at this park. If I ever go I'll have to go on that ride!
    Astrowold is kaput. It's been closed for (I think) 3 years now.

Yeah, it was on the "Ride-Relocation" program. SFMM's Shockwave was at the now defunct Astroworld as well.

• Senior Minion

Yeah, it was even clean when we were there 4 years ago, before Six Flags started improving it's parks.

Did you get a chance to ride the boat/log ride thing with the Looney Tunes characters? Do they still have the Spongebob 3D thing? That was pretty cool from what Belle said. I didn't see it, I was too busy riding coasters.
    Yes, they still have that ride there, and was one of the first few I rode. It was ok, but of course after Disneyland attractions it isn't the same. Yet, for being a Six Flags park it did have a cohesive storyline and was long enough to relax in. Although I didn't enjoy the hard bumping of the boat, nor how flimsy it seemed.

As for Sponge Bob, I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the park.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I recall it being near the Splash Boat ride (Tidal Wave). The Freefall Tower used to be in that area as well.

I'm interested to hear what you thought of Mr. Freeze, Judge Roy Scream and Shockwave. Those were my 3 favorites in the park.

• Senior Minion

Part 2:

This is what I consider a "dark ride", where you are on a boat and try to capture Yosemite Sam. I have to admit that it was one of the nicer themed rides in the park, yet the track wasn't very smooth and it would bump hard as it was making the slight turns. It was enjoyable nonetheless.

I enjoyed this exit sign from the Yosemite Sam ride - made me laugh!

I don't recall what "land" I was in at the time I took this picture, but I thought this was a nice building to take on the theme of the area.

I ended up going on the "Oil Derrick" which offered a great view of Six Flags and the surrounding area. This takes you up around 300 feet, so judging some of the rides from this height ... I decided at that point some rides in the park weren't for me at all.

From this shot you can see a lot of the Gotham area with "Superman Tower", "Batman", and "Mr. Freeze"

"Texas Giant" and "Titan" still look huge from this view, and believe me ... when you are standing by these roller coasters they DO NOT like tame whatsoever!

For those sports fans, here you can see (I believe) Rangers Stadium, and also the future Cowboys Stadium just beyond "Titan". So, as you can see this area will soon be very popular during the sports season.

This ride shoots you almost halfway up, then starts to climb all the way up to about 300 feet. From that point it drops you down mercilessly to the bottom, then shoots you towards the middle once again. Just looking at this ride in action made my heart skip a beat, and I felt I was better off as an observer then a rider.

I enjoyed the "Mine Train" after watching "Superman". It's somewhat like Big Thunder ridewise, and was pretty well themed.

Finally, I got to the area I wanted to see all day ... Gotham! I truly loved "Batman" and went twice, well actually the park wasn't that full so I was able to ride twice in a row without getting off.

The Batmobile!

"Mr. Freeze", although I don't have a picture I'll post video later from when I rode the train and passed by this coaster. I must say that this was rather scary looking so I skipped it. Oh, and I'm sure you see the neon shirt inside the entrance - those are the employee shirts ... that way they're easy to spot.

One of the older coasters in the park, and somewhat outside the park. It's got quite an interesting location.

The six flags that have flown over Texas.

This train takes you around the park and makes about three stops. Pretty fun ride, but I couldn't hear the announcer too clearly.

My photo op. Oddly enough the "characters" don't have any CM's along with them - nor anybody to take your picture. I had to wait a few minutes for someone to come by and take this picture for me. Robin made me cross my hands like that, probably because I was wearing my Disneyland Resort shirt ... LOL!

Aquaman! This was one of those water drop boat rides, I didn't ride since I've gone on similar rides in California ... but did enjoy the Aquaman theme.

Wile E. Coyote being naughty.

Everything IS bigger in Texas! This pretzel was bigger then my head, but there was no cheese available ... .

Part 3 to be coming up soon!

• Senior Minion

^ I recall it being near the Splash Boat ride (Tidal Wave). The Freefall Tower used to be in that area as well.

I'm interested to hear what you thought of Mr. Freeze, Judge Roy Scream and Shockwave. Those were my 3 favorites in the park.
    Mr. Freeze scared the hell out of me just by watching it, but it really looked like fun. It was the part that goes straight up that scared me though. Judge Roy Scream was a blast too, I went on that one a few times. When I went Shockwave was closed, but I wanted to go on it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast