Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

LA Times: Simpsons ride more than a BTTF clone

LA Times: Simpsons ride more than a BTTF clone

Is the Simpsons ride at Universal Studios Hollywood nothing more than Back to the Future: the Ride 2.0?
    Yes and no. Mostly no.

Set to open May 17, the new Simpsons ride uses the old Back to the Future show building and the same motion simulator concept.

But almost everything else is new.

Obviously the “Simpsons” television show (with a Krustyland theme park concept) replaces the “Back to the Future” movie (and the time travel theme). But Universal Studios spent $40 million installing new ride vehicles, scissor lifts, motion platforms, digital movie projectors and a pair of 90-foot-tall domed screens.

Simpsons ride creators even added a hommage to “Back to the Future” with a brief appearance by an animated Doc Brown, the mad inventor from the movie.

After winding through an intensely themed pre-show carnival midway queue, riders wait in groups of eight in funhouse holding rooms before boarding the Simpsons ride. (See my earlier hard-hat tour post with Simpsons ride creative director Christian Lauren.) Your host, Krusty the Clown, is just about to unveil the “Upsy-downsy, spins-aroundsy, teen-operated ride thrilltacular,” a dark ride that the proprietor of Krustyland knows little or nothing about.

A door emblazoned with “Prepare to be Thrilled” opens and a wild-eyed 3-D Krusty the Clown head peers out from the back of the red with gold- and blue-trimmed ride vehicle festooned with white stars.

Riders climb aboard the Krustymobile via a gull wing-style door — a nod to Doc Brown’s DeLorean time machine. The ride vehicle glows with garish LED lights in the blacklight-lit room.

But rather than head through the swinging dark ride doors before you, an unseen scissor lift below the vehicle raises you 10 feet in the air. The motion-based platform tilts the vehicle forward, backward, up, down and side-to-side as you carom recklessly through all of Krustyland and eventually Springfield.

The chaotic scenes play out on the seamless domed screen before you in high-resolution imagery provided by four Sony digital projectors at 60 frames per second. Throughout the ride, hidden special effects spray air, water and other surprises in your face.

Capable of cycling through nearly 2,000 visitors per hour, the attraction actually features two giant domed screens, each with a dozen ride vehicles on tiered levels — three on the lower level, five on the middle level and four on the top level.
    http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1649
    Last edited by Ringu; 04-07-2008 at 02:28 PM.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Re: LA Times: Simpsons ride more than a BTTF clone

IAs a simpsonDiehard fan I can't wait.
    Dave

• Minion

Sounds great and far more exciting than Toy Story Mania!. When will Disney realize that people want more excitment from theme parks than merely seeing familiar characters? The Simpsons Ride uses familiar charcters, but puts them on an adventure, much more thrilling than 'playing midway games.'

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Sounds great and far more exciting than Toy Story Mania!. When will Disney realize that people want more excitment from theme parks than merely seeing familiar characters? The Simpsons Ride uses familiar charcters, but puts them on an adventure, much more thrilling than 'playing midway games.'
    So the Simpsons on Star Tours is MUCH more exciting? I vote for let's ride them both first before we claim one is much more exciting than the other.

• Circle of Ancients

Why are we comparing 2 things that haven't even opened yet?

I'm looking forward to both The Simpsons and TSM personally.

I can't wait. And I love that they have increased capacity to 8 per vehicle rather than the 6 per vehicle that BTTF had.

EDIT: Aashee beat me to it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    So the Simpsons on Star Tours is MUCH more exciting? I vote for let's ride them both first before we claim one is much more exciting than the other.
    It's not just the technology, it is also the story.

Say both rides have the same technology, would you rather go to Krustyland or play midway games?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    It's not just the technology, it is also the story.

Say both rides have the same technology, would you rather go to Krustyland or play midway games?
    Disney doesn't own the rights to the Simpsons so it's pretty moot. However we could also ask, would you rather watch Toy Story or the Simpsons. It'd probably be pretty close.

Blog Entries

Oh come on, I'm as big of a Universal defender as there is but its not like this is an original story at all. Its basically a retread of their old Hanna Barbarra ride just using the simpsons instead of the jetsons.

I say we wait till their both open to make up our minds. I think they both have some very cool hype about them and I want to see if the hype lives up before making a decision.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Disney doesn't own the rights to the Simpsons so it's pretty moot. However we could also ask, would you rather watch Toy Story or the Simpsons. It'd probably be pretty close.
    Hope we are not talking about The Simpsons Movie LOL becuase I would choose Toy Story over that any day. By the way, anybody have picture progress of how the ride building exterior is doing, last time i saw it, it looked like they needed TONS to get done when compared to the Florida version which happens to be opening later.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    By the way, anybody have picture progress of how the ride building exterior is doing, last time i saw it, it looked like they needed TONS to get done when compared to the Florida version which happens to be opening later.
    Taken Saturday ...

Funny, some kids actually thought it was a real coaster. I mean ... REALLY!!!

I actually thought they were doing the exterior as the Springfield power plant, which would have worked great with the two "towers" of the building.

TR coming later ... or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Oh come on, I'm as big of a Universal defender as there is but its not like this is an original story at all. Its basically a retread of their old Hanna Barbarra ride just using the simpsons instead of the jetsons.

I say we wait till their both open to make up our minds. I think they both have some very cool hype about them and I want to see if the hype lives up before making a decision.
    Sideshow Bod doesn't kidnapp Bart like Elroy. lol.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Blog Entries

Hope we are not talking about The Simpsons Movie LOL becuase I would choose Toy Story over that any day. By the way, anybody have picture progress of how the ride building exterior is doing, last time i saw it, it looked like they needed TONS to get done when compared to the Florida version which happens to be opening later.
    The Florida version is supposedly opening before Hollywoods, but just barely.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I love that they have increased capacity to 8 per vehicle rather than the 6 per vehicle that BTTF had.
    I'm pretty sure it's always been 8 per vehicle...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Wait, to compare and complain about attractions that haven't even opened yet? This is for to laugh. And simply NOT the MiceChat way of doing things

Please, continue to debate about unopened attractions. About which one is better, before anyone has ever ridden it. Because doing so may lead to chronic crow eating, and really, that's such a fun sport to watch.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I know that I personally am very excited about this attraction opening! I am very excited about this queue and the 'face to face' interaction...

Also with Toy Story mania, I am excited about the interaction in the ride!

I think that once we ride these rides, we will appreciate them each for the 2 completly different attractions that they are, and that we will reride each of the for different reasons.

But I do think it is kind of fun that Simpsons and Toy Story Mania are opening on both coasts around the same time!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast