Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Universal Studios Hollywood: What Needs to be Done?

Alright, I made this thread to point out the low points and high points of Universal Studios Hollywood, what needs to be done and what can still hang on. This is somewhat of a review measuring what is great about the park and what should be changed, so please feel free to show your ideas about what should happen as well:

Upper Lot

Universal's House of Horrors: This space has been used for several mazes in the past such as Chicken Run, The Mummy Returns Chamber of Doom and the Van Helsing Fortress Dracula. Seeing as this is a limited space that can be only used for an attraction maze, it is a shoe-in, it is just as good, if not, better than the past mazes and this space will obviously change it's maze theme every 2 or 3 years, nothing more. Hopefully the mazes set fourth to come are based on Universal blockbusters.

WaterWorld Stunt Spectacular: This show is awesome, it gets a 10/10, it beats it's predecessors before it and is always entertaining to watch. The show is almost 13 years old and has no doubt become repetative but that's not to say that it is still a great show. The test of time has caught up with the show and the film is hardly memorable so in the long run, I'm hoping that the rumors about this location becoming a possible spot for a future Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man attraction are true.

Terminator 2:3D: This high-tech 3-D show is a landmark attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood and is one of the key attractions here. The show is pure excitement from beginning to end. I would love to see an updated version of this attraction maybe on the Terminator 4 film set to come out in 2009 since the huge interest for the Terminator franchise has been lifted with the new series as well as the future Christian Bale films. My only complaint would be that the attraction would not contain the terminator icon, Arnold Schwartzenagger.

Universal's Animal Actors: There not from famous films or supported by Animal Planet but the show always seems to be the same no matter what the theme is. I say, this attraction needs to go, I feel that it has oversatyed it's welcome and the bleacher seats don't make the show experience any better. I understand that there is a lack of kid-friendly shows at the park so if they must, change the show to focus on nicklodeon characters, Woody Woodpecker, Land before Time, etc. Also, change the bleacher seats as well as the tent rooftop and make it more of a theater-type show.

Fear Factor Live!: Universal's new merger with NBC has set the company in a good direction and one of their first offspring together to hit the park is Fear Factor Live!. Being that the show has been off the air for some time now doesn't mean that it isn't popular anymore. The show is still very popular and so is the attraction. The show itself is good, not great but still good, the thing I like most is that guests can audition to be in the show and take participation in it to make the show different each and every time since the actors in the show arent hired by Universal. The show deserves a few more years and hopefully will not overstay it's welcome in the time coming.

Shrek 4-D: A good show. Great for kids and adults the same, and very funny and entertaining. I believe that as long as the shrek franchise keeps going, this will still be here for a while. I don't believe it will be going anywhere anytime soon but when it does, it will most likely be changed into another 3-D show and not atheater show like before.

The Adventures of Curious George: Being that the attraction is EXACTLY the same as Nickelodeon Blast Zone except for a different color scheme is the cheap way to go but I guess on such short notice with the departure of Nickelodeon from the studios, it was the only way to go. This attraction plays a good role in the park for the kids seeing as theres not much to do, it is nice that kids can spend an hour or so just playing around.

The Simpsons Ride: Has not opened yet, but hopefully it will be better than Back to the Future. Now, no way am I saying that Back to the Future wasn't a good ride because it was awesome (not better than Star Tours). Im hoping that if they are going to replace it with the Simpsons, then it damn well better be a good ride and good replacement for Back to the Future.

Flinstones Viva Rock Vegas: This is just a pile of over the counter midway type games youll find at six flags or knott's, I feel that this does not fit the theme of a movie park and should be taken out. They do not mix in well and are not in the best location as well.

Coak Soak: Just like The Adventures of Curious George water playground, this too has the same idea. I feel that the park does not need two of these since it it is pretty much the same experience and would fit better as a small stage show or better yet, something theme to the Terminator since it is right by the theater.

Wild West Theater: This house The Wild, Wild, Wild West Stunt show for a large amount of years until some six or so years ago. It was a great show, plenty of action and comedy which used to be what Universal Studios was about. Seeing that Universal Hollywood doesn't have to many attractions to last a full day, this theater should be brought back. Not necessarily bringing the Wild West show back but a new action stunt show just so people can have a bit more to do in the park, besides, leaving this theater abandoned is a bad show on Universal's part buy just letting it go to waste.

Studio Tour: This 45 minute attraction is why many people come to the park, so they can see famous sets, props and if your lucky, stars. This tour takes you through the world of movies, some great and some not so great. Still, this tour is awesome with it's ride-type sets such as Eartquake and King Kong, it is almost like a ride itself instead of just being a tour. The only thing I would change is the Tokyo Drift scene, Ib find it to be very cheesy and quick, not great like the other elments of the tour. Also, I feel the Jaws scene can be a little bit more exciting like the shark exploding from the florida version.

The Blues Brothers: Never actually seen this show but can't see much else Universal can do with this small outdoor show. Not a big area and just straight down the entrance way, there is not much they can do to change it into something thing since the area can only fit such a small scale show.

Lower Lot

Jurassic Park The Ride: Absolutely thrilling, this is like the Pirates of the Caribbean of Universal Studios Hollywood. It is one of those attractions that you can see never being replaced for a long time to come. I belive that this version of Jurassic Park is the best out of the three worldwide. This is the main Universal attraction and a great one at that.

The Universal Experience: This replaced Lucy: A Tribute, hasn't opened yet but hope it is a great museum with many of the props from various Universal movie blockbusters we have come to know and love.

Gameworks Studio: Every theme park has an arcade and Universal Hollywood is no exception, being that it is a movie theme park, I think the arcade should be themed to an arcade from a movie, not by a trademark arcade.

Special Effects Stages: I find this show utterly boring and repetitive, it is one of those shows that you just do not want to watch agian becuase once youve seen it, there is no reason to come back. I believe World of Cinemagic was much better and this is just a step down in the wrong direction. I think they need to change the style of the show to be more high tech and exciting.

Backdraft: Backdraft is a great show, it is basically Florida's version of Twister, only with fire instead of wind. While it is still a great show, it has no doubt become outdated, not the effects necessarily but the movie. The film is 17 years old while the attraction is 16 years old. The pre-show with Scott Glen hasn't withstood the test of time very well. I say replace this attraction with a new blockbuster film but have the same idea by making it a show about special effects and pyrotechnics.

Revenge of the Mummy The Ride: The first roller coaster at Universal Hollywood is a good one but not great one. I say not great one because compared to the Florida version, it doesn't hold a candle really. But it is a good ride none the less and a nice replacement for the beloved E.T. Adventure attraction, even though the ride is fairly short compared to the E.T. ride. I blame the ride not being as great as the Florida version on the location, due to the limited space, the ride had to be shortened.

So, what do you guys think? What should be done?
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 04-16-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood: What Needs to be Done?

What needs to be done?

A LOT!

Last time I went to USH was when I was 13. I remember it being totally awesome. I especially loved the Jurassic Park ride.

I went back this past October while me and my friend were down in LA for a convention. Boy did it suck.

I mean yes the studio tour is great (now sadly whored out with access hollywood or some other nonsense) Jurassic Park is still amazing, the Mummy Ride was great because there was NO ONE in the park so I could ride it over and over at least 10 times. Since it was October the maze was set up for halloween and was pretty creepy. Especially leatherface in there with the chainsaw. Other than those 4 things we were bored to death. (We thought it would be more fun than Disneyland or Knotts for 2 23y/o guys SHAMEFULLY MISTAKEN)

Terminator was also closed due to SCRUBS filming at the time we were there and the simpson's was/is being built but the kiwk-e-mart was open.

I honestly had more fun walking along hollywood boulevard and watching the nightmare before christmas in 3d at the El Capitain (I can't remember how to spell it :P) Than my entire day at USH.

To fix it? More rides! Jurassic Park and The Mummy don't cut it when you have to pay admission and spend billions on food there. I really don't understand how we spent a good chunk of our day there. Oh I know re-riding the mummy cause there was no one there. Honestly that ride is great but way to short. Kind of glad no one was there so I could keep riding. Me and my friend perfected the picture timing so that we got our photo of us giving the thumbs up! (I should scan it in) And I'm sorry but when the park has to have "demo" seats for attractions to make sure your butt fits the seat before waiting in line and wasting everyones time that is just sad.

Oh the other thing I liked there though were the awesome churro sundaes. Those were so good.

The backdraft show is good, I didn't see any other show because they weren't on or closed. Same for half of the food in the park. No fear factor either.

Maybe we just went at a bad time but overall I was really disappointed and it kind of ruined some of my childhood memories of it being so cool.

I don't really know what they can add though since they don't have much space to expand. Maybe some kind of underground thrill coaster Or change backdraft to something more modern? (I mean its not bad but its getting dated, the video sequences) And don't have half of the stuff in your park not open!

• Circle of Ancients

What needs to be fixed:

Maze - Like you said, not much that can go here. Isn't this where the Marvel Mania restaurant used to be? That place was AWESOME (but was always empty).

T2:3D - I've seen this once, wasn't impressed. I'm not sure how popular it is now, but it's due for an upgrade I think.

Shrek - Shouldn't go anywhere. It's great. Could use a rehab though. The seats are making ALOT of noise lately. Maybe it's the increasing weight of americans.

Tram Tour - It's still great, but lose the access hollywood people. King Kong could use an update as can the mummy cave. You don't need 2 mummy attractions in the same park.

Animal Show - Seen it once, not impressed.

Waterworld - Great show, but I'd take Spiderman over this anyday.

Wild West Theatre - Needs to come back. Always my favorite show.

Fear Factor - Never seen it. Don't really care to. Needs to be replaced with something I think.

Simpsons - Can't wait.

Jurassic Park - Best ride in the park (for now) hands down.

Mummy - Not ANYWHERE as good as FL, but what can you do?

Special Effects Stages - I actually like this show.

Backdraft - Needs to go. I'd say replace it with the Twister show from FL, but that's not really relevant either anymore. Not sure what could go here.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Bring back the greatest ride ever seen on the hills of Universal City:
    the Victoria's Station railway car. This free ride was second only to Angels Flight in downtown Los Angeles.

"Buy a day, get a year free" is still one of the funniest lines around. At an annual promotions round-up in their "VIP Lounge" a few years back I'd once suggested to the USH western region rep that their next step would be the "we're picking you up at your home and bringing you here" campaign.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Rides against injustice

If only they wouldve been allowed to build "Islands of Adventure" here in CA. That wouldve been awesome. Instead the City Council and residents of the Hollywood Hills shot it down. I think Universal needs to add a few more rides to make the $64 admission worth it. Why not tear out "Backdraft" and build Spider-Man there? I dont think many people would object to that.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    If only they wouldve been allowed to build "Islands of Adventure" here in CA. That wouldve been awesome. Instead the City Council and residents of the Hollywood Hills shot it down. I think Universal needs to add a few more rides to make the $64 admission worth it. Why not tear out "Backdraft" and build Spider-Man there? I dont think many people would object to that.
    Actually, the studio stages are right behimd Backdraft, they would have no room to build it. Our best bet would be to replace WaterWorld for Spider-Man.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Circle of Ancients

The difference between Hollywood and Orlando is, Hollywood is a working studio. They make more $$ from the Studio than they would EVER make from the park. I'm surprised they haven't torn down the park to make more room for the studio to be honest.

Your not going to get any bit outside thrill rides, you don't to hear screaming from a roller coaster in an episode of CSI (which films right behind Backdraft and the Special Effects Stages) do you?

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    Actually, the studio stages are right behimd Backdraft, they would have no room to build it. Our best bet would be to replace WaterWorld for Spider-Man.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt sure how much real estate they had back there.
    Out of the NIGHT....

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The difference between Hollywood and Orlando is, Hollywood is a working studio. They make more $$ from the Studio than they would EVER make from the park. I'm surprised they haven't torn down the park to make more room for the studio to be honest.

Your not going to get any bit outside thrill rides, you don't to hear screaming from a roller coaster in an episode of CSI (which films right behind Backdraft and the Special Effects Stages) do you?
    That was one of the main arguments against building "Islands of Adventure" here in CA. The residents basically told Universal "Why dont you focus more on your movies than building another theme park"

Clinks, couldnt they just take those screams out in post production?
    Out of the NIGHT....

That was one of the main arguments against building "Islands of Adventure" here in CA. The residents basically told Universal "Why dont you focus more on your movies than building another theme park"

Um, Islands Of Adventures was always planned for Orlando.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Um, Islands Of Adventures was always planned for Orlando.
    There were rumors (a LONG time ago) of one coming to CA.

And they could have done it, just not that close to the Studios.

• Minion

USH desperately needs more rides and an IOA. I much rather have a second theme park, than a movie studio. We could all live without most of the crap Hollywood puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    There were rumors (a LONG time ago) of one coming to CA.

And they could have done it, just not that close to the Studios.
    I wish I could find info on this but I havent been able to. I know that it was very close to reaching reality because it was in the local news for a bit. I remember reading about it in the Daily News as well. The residents in the area around Universal didnt want them to build another theme park in their area. They were concered about the increase in traffic, pollution and other issues. They took their fight to the City Council and the City took the residents side. They ordered Universal to abandon their plans for a West Coast "Islands of Adventure" and scale back any future expansion plans. Universal settled with only expanding Citywalk which was part of the original plans.
    I often wonder that had Universal been allowed to build Islands of Adventure here if it wouldve affected what Disney ultimatley did with California Adventure.
    Out of the NIGHT....

• Minion

I wish I could find info on this but I havent been able to. I know that it was very close to reaching reality because it was in the local news for a bit. I remember reading about it in the Daily News as well. The residents in the area around Universal didnt want them to build another theme park in their area. They were concered about the increase in traffic, pollution and other issues. They took their fight to the City Council and the City took the residents side. They ordered Universal to abandon their plans for a West Coast "Islands of Adventure" and scale back any future expansion plans. Universal settled with only expanding Citywalk which was part of the original plans.
    I often wonder that had Universal been allowed to build Islands of Adventure here if it wouldve affected what Disney ultimatley did with California Adventure.
    DCA would likely be much, much better if USH had an IOA. I'm am scared to think what WDW would be, if it wasn't for the pressure of the competition from USF/IOA.

• Zoinks! Jinkies! Jeepers!

Man I'm hoping the The Simpsons ride is good.

After buying a Pass a few years ago for the Mummy Ride when it first opened I haven't been back. Which would be due to the badness that is The Mummy Ride.

Anyways here's hoping.
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast