• Plastic Monkey

halloween horror nights and other random things

quick question about Halloween Horror Nights in Hollywood.

how is it set up? do you go round in a continous long line, small broken up groups or just with youre freinds?

im planning to go to California in the autum and would love to go, its just no fun having the **** scared out of you by yourself.

also, if anyone has any cool suggestions for things to do in southern california which are a bit off the beaten track, they are most welcome.
    We Play Rock and Roll

Re: halloween horror nights and other random things

It's not great...most mazes you line up for and then walk in through a line or groups...but some of its ruined because ppl get scared right before you or you hear a scream so you know what's coming...I hear Knott's Scary Farm is good though...

Last year Universal's event was way better than knotts. I ended up going 6 nights and everyone of them was great. When compared to knotts there's not as much but each of the mazes at Universal were better themed and far more intense than anything Knotts has ever had.. I was so shocked at how good last years event was considering their first attempt at bringing HHN back the year before was so awful.. I'd be happy if they threw up the same mazes as last year thats how good they were! needless to say I can not wait for Halloween season this year!

• Goofy

is it that time of year already? 6 months until halloween. yay.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i would highly recommend going to BOTH of the bigger events, Halloween Horror Nights at USH, and Halloween Haunt at Knott's. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but are all around awesome

the format at both places is generally the same....you have mazes that you walk thru (mostly as a continuous line) and there are "scare zones" as well. USH tends to be more acting oriented in their scare zones, while Knotts' scare zones are more in your face type scares.

For knotts i would definantly suggest going on a thursday or sunday night. the lines are not nearly as long as on friday or saturday nights, and the crowds tend to be less aggressive which in turn encourages the monsters to be more active. you can also make reservations to go to their VIP Pre-Scare dinner which gets you into the park about 30mins before the gen pop.

For HHN, i would go on a friday rather than a saturday, slightly less crowded. get there as early as possible to hit as much stuff in the lower lot while everyone else is crowding the upper lot.

for both:
    1. get there as early as possible
    2. go as early in the month as possible
    3. focus on the things that are there for Halloween only, like mazes, scare zones and special shows. this applies espicially to Haunt...Knott's rides will be there all year long, but Haunt stuff is only there in october, enjoy the Haunt before its gone.

any other questions feel free to ask...Haunt is a very big part of our year and we've been really glad to add HHN back into our annual october vacation to so cal along with several other small "hometown" haunts around So. Cal.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

Oh yeah, i dug this up as well. Wrote this last year as a bit of a guide to various Haunts around So Cal....if the powers that be will let me i'm planning on doing it again this year as well Sorry its a messy cut and paste, but i coudln't get the old link to work for some reason...most likely operator error

October has arrived and local Halloween events are starting to take shape at locations around the southland. From smaller haunts such as "The Haunted Cellar" at The Block at Orange or "Seaside Haunt" at the Ventura County Fairgrounds to larger events at Knotts Berry and Universal Studios Hollywood, there are a multitude of ghoulish delights to partake in this Halloween season. We've assembled a list of some of the frightful things to keep you up late at night throughout this Halloween season.

- - -

Knott's Halloween Haunt
    From its humble beginnings in 1973 Knotts Berry Farm has transformed every October into Knott's Scary Farm, the first theme park to embrace Halloween and the terror that comes with it.

Are you afraid of the Park? You should be given the 11 mazes and two re-themed rides Knotts has lined up for their terrified guests this year. Joining returning favorites such as 13 Axe Murder Manor, The Asylum and Feary Tales are 5 all new mazes/re-themed rides as Knotts tries to hold onto the title of Best Haunted Event as designated by the 2007 Golden Ticket Awards. Featured attractions at this year's haunt are:
    BEOWULF Labyrinth into Darkness
    The Lake (New for 2007)
    Darkness has a legacy. Every legend has a king. Every man has a demon. Paramount Pictures film, Beowulf, follows the epic poem, set in 5th century Denmark, of the great hero, Beowulf who defends King Hrothgar and his people in three great battles against the monsterous Grendal, Grendal’s vengeful mother, and a fire-breathing dragon.
    PYROMANIAX
    Timbermountain Log Ride (New for 2007)
    A fire bursts out on the mountain due to a tragic accident at the resident Moonshine Factory. It seems the locals have been using toxic waste to make their libation, and now the lethal fumes are turning everyone (including the Fire Fighters) into murderous mutants.
    THE DOLL FACTORY
    Wilderness Dance Hall (New for 2007)
    In an old, abandoned toy factory, the Marionette Murderer, a psychotic serial killer turns his beautiful victims into life-size porcelain dolls for his personal collection. Tour his twisted museum of death and disfigurement, and hope to escape his mechanical lair.
    KILLER CLOWN KOLLEGE
    Behind Xcelerator (New for 2007)
    Welcome Freshmen, to your initiation into Clown U and it’s fearsome Fraternity.
    BLACK WIDOW’S CAVERN
    Mine Ride (New for 2007)
    Enter the old, abandoned mine, now overrun by deadly spiders. Get caught in the web of the horrific arachnids as you travel on the old miner’s path of doom.
    Knotts offers several Halloween Haunt packages at the Knotts Berry Farm hotel, which include a variety of choices from an overnight stay and two tickets to Haunt - to packages that include something new for 2007, collectible Haunt Key cards. More info can be found at: http://www.knottshotel.com/haunt/index.htm

official Knott's Halloween Haunt website

- - -

Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights
    After disappearing from the local Haunt scene after its run in 2000, USH returned to their own brand of terror last year. This year the biggest news from Halloween Horror Night is the addition of three of the biggest names of modern horror: Jason, Freddy and Leatherface in their own themed mazes.

Universal makes big claims on their Horor Night web site USH HHN website: Quote:
    There's only one event big enough to scare everyone in Los Angeles: Universal Studios Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights, the most terrifying Halloween experience in Southern California.

If you dare, enter the worlds of Jason, Freddy and Leatherface as you encounter four all-new horrific mazes. And witness the horror as each character comes to life when you step off the Terror Tram,
    and onto Universal's Backlot.

This October at Halloween Horror Nights, prepare for the most intense fear of your life - only at Universal Studios Hollywood.
    Halloween Horror Nights will be terrifying guests October 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27, 28 and 31.

Universal Studios Hollywood - Halloween Horror Night website

- - -

Queen Mary's Shipwreck
    2007 marks the 13th annual Halloween Terror Fest at the Queen Mary in Long Beach. Shipwreck features a variety of activities including 7 mazes, live bands and two different dance party locations. Some say the Queen Mary is a haunted ship, which makes it the perfect place for a haunt:

Quote:
    Every October the Queen Mary in Long Beach transforms into "The Most Terrifying Place On Earth" for Shipwreck, the Queen Mary's Halloween Terror Fest. Each year Shipwreck unveils a new creation that delivers ultimate horror to the daring mortals that brave this terrifying event. Admission includes unlimited entry to all Mazes, Purgatory Park featuring Live Bands, the 3 level Dance Party in the Queen Mary's Exhibit Hall and a second Dance Party housed within the all new Dome of Doom! Plus, don't forget to visit the frightfully sexy Fright Mistress in her private lair. Everyone knows the Queen Mary is haunted and is no stranger to haunted happenings. Throughout the years, Queen Mary employees, guests and visiting psychics have reported unexplainable events and paranormal activity aboard the ship. Visitors to Shipwreck will have the opportunity to encounter these areas as they descend deep into the bowels of the ship and navigate the closed corridors and dark hallways of this massive haunted vessel!
    http://www.queenmaryshipwreck.com/

- - -

Six Flags Magic Mountain's Fright Fest
    Magic Mountain's annual Fright Fest returns for more scares in 2007.

Quote:
    It's family by day and fright by night at our annual Halloween Fright Fest. Bring the little ones in the daytime for trick-or-treating, bobbing for apples and kid-friendly fun. Because, when the sun goes down, well, let's just say it's not for the faint of heart.

Six Flags morphs into a town of ghosts and ghouls. Roller coasters become monstrosities in motion. And scares await you at every turn.

Fright Fest is on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, October 6-31; plus Monday-Wednesday October 29-31.

Six Flags website
    - - -

The Haunted Cellar

Even SoCal malls get into the action. The Block at Orange (near Disneyland) has completely redone its entry into the haunt world with an all new maze this year.

Located in suite 112. (Across from the Vans skate park.)

The Haunted Cellar's website, http://www.thehauntedcellar.com/, includes not only information on how you can apply to be a monster, but also the legend of the Cellar itself as well as a gallery of some of their talent including MiceChat's own Kritter!

- - -

Medieval Times Haunted Castle

Already known for their jousting dinner shows Medieval Times on Beach Blvd. in Buena Park adds a few scares to your evening's entertainment for the Halloween season. Included with the cost of your dinner show ticket is a trip through their Haunted Castle haunt. See their website for a detailed back story and the official Medieval Times website for contact information.

- - -

Seaside Haunt

Ventura County's Seaside Haunt, located at the Ventura County Fairgrounds, boasts a very interactive website including a video presentation of their attraction's legend. Visit http://www.seasidehaunt.com/kill.html for more informations on this haunted house.

- - -

Spooky House
    Relocated to Chatsworth, Spooky House returns for 2007 year boasting two attractions, Darkwater Asylum and Spooky House. Visit http://spookyhouse.com/index18.htm for more information on what you can expect starting September 28th.

- - -

Fearplex
    Opening October 12, 2007 at the Fairplex in Pomona is Magler's Haunted Asylum. Fearplex include children's matinee shows on October 21, 22, 27 and 28 from noon until 4p.m. For more information visit their website at http://fearplex.com/

- - -

The list of Halloween activities and locations is always changing. We've added just a few of the ones that we've found on our own. If you have additional haunts and/or information that you'd like to add to the list, please submit a message below!
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Elly is adorkable.

• Plastic Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Oh yeah, i dug this up as well. Wrote this last year as a bit of a guide to various Haunts around So Cal....if the powers that be will let me i'm planning on doing it again this year as well Sorry its a messy cut and paste, but i coudln't get the old link to work for some reason...most likely operator error
    wow! this information is brilliant, just what i needed.
    was not planning on going to knotts purley on a timescale issue, but i may look into it if you think its worthwile.

out of interest do you know anything about this place?http://www.halloweentownstore.com
    i linked to it from rob zombies site years ago, i have no idea what the connection is (if owns it, used to, liked it etc)

details are sketchy on the trip at the moment, but will either be the last or second to last week of october (and a bit!) depending on work shedules of me and other people. its really rough planning at the moment will however include disneyland, metal skool and penn and teller.
    Last edited by J9000; 04-20-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: my crappy grammar
    We Play Rock and Roll

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

never heard of halloween town store before, but it sounds like it would be fun to go to if i were up in the Burbank area.

I would definantly recommend Knott's Haunt for one night, but if you're going late in the month you'll REALLY wanna stick to going on a thursday or sunday night...perhaps even wednesday, the last couple weekends of the month will see sell out nights on friday and saturday and trust me, they're VERY crowded which really dampens the spirit of the event.

If you're going to see Penn and Teller in vegas..you're in a for a treat!! My hsuband and i saw them a couple years ago and it was AWESOME!

like i said, if i can help out with any other info, just let me know
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Elly is adorkable.

• Zoinks! Jinkies! Jeepers!

Awww spooky stuff, is it Haunt yet Elly?

Anyways I would say hit Knotts Haunt for sure. Universal is worth checking out too.

If you have any questions send me a PM.

Halloween Town is awesome to check out, tons of stuff.
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

• Plastic Monkey

sorry to drag this thread from the deep, just another quick question.

what is there to do actually on halloween itself around LA?
    Ive heard about the West hollywood street party, which dosent really interest me, but i was wondering if there was anything else that you cannot do prior to the 31st?

The reason im asking as considering halloween is a friday, a nevada bank holiday and tapped to a weekend, it may be worth going to California the week previous (15-25 instead of 22-1) in terms of crowds. (i know about the Utah schools thing, but i am starting in Las Vegas, then San Deigo and wont get to LA till Monday)
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Zoinks! Jinkies! Jeepers!

Well since Halloween is on a Friday there will tons of clubs, raves, horror movie screenings, street parties (West Hollywood and Hollywood), haunted tours.

When it gets closer more stuff will pop up like hungry zombies...
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

• Goofy

oh how I would love to go to west hollywood for halloween. they sure know how to party on halloween.

• Plastic Monkey

sorted! Ive booked the time off 21-1
    the decider - luchavavoom! one of those real "im going to THAT!" kind of event.
    thanks everyone for your help,

any more suggestions of weird and off center places to visit (halloween related or not) are still most welcome.
    cheers
    John
    We Play Rock and Roll

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

hehehe. I didn't catch the "Micechat's very own Kritter" in The Haunted Cellar portion... made me all bloobedy.

Hopefully I will be working at Knott's Scary Farm this season, so you all can come visit me!