Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Less Than Happy Trip To Knott's Berry Farm

While visiting the park last Thursday May 15, I must admit I was very very disappointed in the park staffing and its operation. First off, I am a Cedar Fair pass holder and have been for years. Recently in addition to myself, my family opted for a Cedar Fair pass over Disney because I have a toddler niece and the lines at Disney were to much to deal with. With that said we also know to avoid Knott's on weekends or busy periods. When I attend the park alone and want to ride the "grown up" rides I also leave work early on a non peak weekday or arrive first thing on the weekends. Overall I am very aware of the peak periods at the park.

With that said, the last two times I have been to Knott's on a off season 10am-6pm operating weekday I have been utterly disappointed in the parks performance. Arriving at 11am, as far as I saw EVERY coaster in the park was only running one train(including one tower on Supreme Scream). The trains were not fully loaded and the dispatch times between trains were HORRIBLE. Many employees seemed lethargic with an attitude. Overall the park was not crowded attendance wise but every major attraction/rollercoaster in the park had at least a 30 minute wait time due to the rides low hourly capacity. On a 8 hour business day I find this unacceptable. Once again I was without my family and a single rider, something that Knott's does not use to fill in empty seats on any attraction.

Another major concern of mine in the park that day was on the Sierra Sidewinder children between 42"-48" policy of riding with a responsible adult. On this Thursday the park was operating one train(as on all rides) and I waited in line 30 minutes to board the next train. The adult in the boarding lane next to me had at least 3 children that were between 42" and 48". The staff had him ride with one child the cycle before mine while leaving his other very young dependants unattended, confused, and crying. After that cycle I was asked by your ride operators and the staff trainer that was at the ride Robin(without a name tag on) to ride with one of these children that I had never met before. Now as a middle aged single male I felt very uncomfortable and awkward with this request for obvious reasons and on top of that I told them I did not want to be physically responsible for a 5 year old child that I have never met. The staff told me I was not responsible for them or anything that happens to them on the ride. So I asked why I had to ride with them. Policy. So for me not wanting to ride with someone else's young child between under 48" I had to wait another two cycles while one of the employees rode with the children that were not even in my lane extending my wait significantly. I should have never been asked to "watch" a strangers child on a ride.

On a side note I also have a platinum pass for the Six Flags chain. The last two time I have visited Magic Mountain on a off peak weekday they have had all rides very well staffed and most, if not all major attractions/coasters were in two car operation and the dispatch times were very efficient even allowing guests to re-ride.

I realize a park or ride can have a bad day but this seems to be much more than just one bad day. Just like any other publicly traded corporation you have a bottom line, and responsibility to your stockholders and consumers. For me to take time out of my day and voice this is something I feel very strongly about and something that can be rectified.

• no flash photography...

Re: A Less Than Happy Trip To Knott's Berry Farm

I've never had a good experience at knotts.

• C4C6C

Brad, I had the same problems when I went in April. Sidewinder had only 1 train working (during Easter break) and the waits were 10-15 minutes between trains. I got out of line after this.

Silverbullet (the coaster at the entrance) was running only one train as well with 8 minutes dispatches between trains.

These are two rides I have never been on and still haven't.

The staff was horrible. Knott's really needs to update their cash register system as well at the restaurants. We went to the restaurant in Fiesta Village. The one register they were using broke and no one, including the manager, had the common sense to open another one. They told everyone they would have to wait.

I will give credit where credit is due. The ride attendants on Jaguar were excellent. When it came to a height issue with a guest, they told him very politely that he could not ride. WHen the mother said he had ridden it two times already, they kept their cool and said they weren't willing to lose their jobs over it and if they had a problem to see a manager. The lady kept insisting until the entire crowd in line began yelling at her. She grabbed her child and left.

My last gripe was with a ticket Knott's would not refund. I bought an extra child ticket thinking family members who were meeting us were bringing all their chidlren. When they showed up with one less, I tried to refund the ticket at Guest Relations only to be told I couldn't. They told me I should have done it earlier in the day when I knew the other child was not coming. Even after going over their head, Knott's still would not budge. I wound up selling it to someone in line for $5 under the ticket value just to get rid of it. Knott's told me that I could apply it to a future purchase, but the ticket had an expiration date. They said not to worry that they would still accept it. How could I believe that?

Either way, I will not be returning for a long time. I get in free every year with the police special at Christmas time (not the holidays), but I haven't gone in years for reasons such as this. This last visit confirms I will not return for a long time.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Outside of Halloween Haunt, I go to Knott's maybe once a year, if that, and it's only because it's a tradition. As much as I love the Farm, it's just not the same since the family sold the park.

I wish I could say more but, being a Haunt monster, I'd probably be in conflict with my NDA.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Circle of Ancients

Sadly, this seems to be the norm, rather than the exception at Knott's anymore. Which is why we haven't been in about 3 years.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

This one of the reasons why we have gone from Knott's AP holders to only going once a year to the Haunt. The other being they've ruined the charm of the park.
    Mike

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't been to Knott's since 1985 and it doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

The only thing I go to Knotts for is their chicken.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Queen of Sarcasm

I just renewed my AP after not having it for a year. Consider me in the minority but I like going to the park just for the food. Get me some ribs at the Firemen's BBQ, ice cold boysenberry punch, a corn on the cob with a funnel cake for dessert and I'm a happy camper.

• Goofy

pirate chick I agree with you. knott's is ok. I went there two weeks ago on a friday and it was hot. not much of a crowd at all. The food is good there. especially johnny rockets expensive but good hamburgers. I rode all the rides 2- 3 times. I was dissapointed that they closed the park at 6pm on friday.

Im probably going to buy and knott's ap for the halloween haunt.

• Drunken Disneyland Master

Knott's just goes down, down, down.

With the decline of Ghost Town, and possibly, the more decline of GhostTown, I do not see a reason to take my wife and son there anymore.

Besides the fried chicken (which I think declined also), I love the coasters. Sorry to hear about the minimum train run day on your stay.

I also was a big fan of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs (or, for your older Micechaters: Bear-y Tales), the Funhouse, Soap Box Racers, whatever they called their 'Autopia' (which is located at Old Tucson, here in Arizona by the way, they still even have the old Ads for their burger restaurant right there at Knott's.... let me rant...), GranSlammer, Tumbler, the Haunted Shack (haha! It wasn't quite a Mansion, but they had the SHACK, great stuff), Roaring 20's! Loved Knott's!

Great rides still there: Calco Mine Train (do NEVER get rid of this), Timber Mountain Log Ride (do not get rid of this), Supreme Scream (the best one of this type I ever rode [note: never rode the one atop of Stratosphere]), Montezuma’s Revenge (rode this ride many of time on my trips to TQ), hey, I like the Jaguar (can’t fit in it though), Bigfoot Rapids, and, the most underrated attraction at the park, IMO, Mystery Lodge. I liked the way the Radisson ran the hotel there also. I’m eager to check that out again; when me and my wife grow a pair and attend Scary Farm (never went).

Cedar, needs to think about Knott's originality, they can only win with roller coasters for so long to compete with MagicMountain, ew, no offense.

Stick to the Fried Chicken, Boysenberries and the Ghost Town my ‘Second Uncle Walt’ loved so well.

Signed:
    Big Drunk Dave at Disneyland (and other places as well!)

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I just renewed my AP after not having it for a year. Consider me in the minority but I like going to the park just for the food. Get me some ribs at the Firemen's BBQ, ice cold boysenberry punch, a corn on the cob with a funnel cake for dessert and I'm a happy camper.
    But most of that stuff you can get outside the park, with the exception of the Firemen's BBQ. And there are plenty of BBQ places outside of Knott's that are MUCH better.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

I've been a premium Disneyland AP for a few years, now, and I love Disneyland a ton.

However, some of my fondest memories as a child are from Knott's. Going there with my dad when Kingdom of The Dinosaurs first opened is still set in my mind as one of the greatest trips to a theme park. It's sad to see the park somewhat declining in peoples eyes. I'd hate to see a great placed tarnished like that.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Circle of Ancients

^ I probably have just as many fond childhood memories of Knott's that I do of Disneyland. Seriously. It was a great place to spend a day and even just 10 years ago, I could spend a full day at Knott's and not be board.

But now, even though they "Supposedly" have more to do, I'm done in 4 or 5 hours.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

I agree. It just seems that there's not much to do at Knott's as there used to be. Maybe it's just me but it does seem that way.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast