• Minion

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom / California's Great America

The Drmr tribe is hitting the road this summer with trips to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and California's Great America. Any tips? We'll have a 15 year old, an 11 year old and the 7 year old triplets.

Besides the parks, we'll also take in an A's game. Any suggestions for other activities would be appreciated.

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom / California's Great America

My daughters like Discovery Kingdom...here's my big tip: Don't by "Dippin dots" for everyone while talking on your cell phone, you won't notice the price and then have a heart attack! (I actually promised them dippin dots because they had been amazingly good all day, but if I were paying attention I could have gotten two larges instead of five smalls and saved a bundle!)

Anyway, check the Discovery Kingdom website for "Sharks in the Dark", we took our girl scout troops down there a couple years ago for it and it was awesome!!! For $75 bucks a person (if that is still the price) you can discect a squid, play other games, dinner, breakfast, and you get to sleep in the shark aquarium and it includes your entrance to the park the next day. For another $10 bucks (per person) you can meet with the dolphin trainer in the morning, feed the sea lions, see the penquins, etc. all before the park opens (that was a big time saver in the morning). This was a great program, we (the leaders) had brought games to play at night to keep the kids busy during down time but there wasn't any, and the food selection was good for kids and adults. We got to eat in one of the parks restaurants that has individual aquariums all around the room, so while the kids ate fast and were done, the adults could enjoy a leisurely meal and while the kids explored all the aquariums (it was closed to the public while we were in there).

$75 per person might be alot for a family your size, but it does include your park entrance and since you are sleeping there, you don't need a hotel room that night (but you would need sleeping bags, etc.)
    Last edited by daffodilklown; 05-26-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add info

• Grumpy old man

Don't stay in the hotels in Vallejo, they are pretty scuzzy, even the Holiday Inn across the street from Discovery Kingdom. Depending on the time of summer, if it's anywhere between July 3rd and July 13th you can check out the Solano County Fair in Vallejo as well, the fairgrounds are right across the street from SFK.

Sightseeing in San Francisco could be fun. There is a ferry from Vallejo to Pier 39 in SF which could be neat for all. Though it's $10 each way, so is a bit pricey (at least in my opinion).

I have a few recommendations for food in Vallejo, but they are all pretty much hole in the wall places.

Coming from a Bay Area resident, I would try to work in a trip to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. It is much better than either park, IMO.

I second not staying in Vallejo, period. Not the safest city in the Bay Area by any means.

• Circle of Ancients

We stayed at a Days Inn in Vallejo when we went up there 3 or so years ago. It wasn't TOO bad. Unfortunately, there aren't really any other hotels that are close to the park than the ones in Vallejo.

As far as other attractions, I'd definately try and go to Gilroy Gardens. Especially for the ages you have, it's a great fun park. You can usually get discount tickets at Great America since they are both Cedar Fair parks.

Just north of Vallejo there is also the Jelly Belly factory, it's in Fairfield. It's really fun.
    http://jellybelly.com/msib21/Templat...=NoModifyGuest

And a third vote for Santa Cruz. Even for a few hours, it's fun and really a nice drive from Santa Clara.

• Banned User

Gilroy Gardens is a really nice little park, I suggest you try a day there at all costs. CGA isn't as good of a park as SFDK, but get there early so you can hit Top Gun or whatever they call it early, it get's a large crowd early. Your kids will want to see all the characters, so stay until after 5 and get a good spot early for Meet The Nicktoons. Also, bring swimsuits, because your kids will want to go into the waterpark and the watermaze. Also, you 7 year olds likely will want to see the Dora show, so check that out early too. It's in the back of the park, so plan accordingly. Try to get to FireFall early as well, as it's new and looks pretty fun.

Discovery Kingdom's layout is pretty hectic, the last time I was there I didn't even make it to the area where their wooden rollercoaster is. Hint: Get a map. I was too full of myself to acquire one. You also want to bring swimsuits or a change of clothes here, as the kids area has a pretty crazy water play area. Also, get to the new Tony Hawk's Big Spin at opening, since it's brand new.

Have a good trip!

• Circle of Ancients

^ 7 year olds are a bit old for Dora I think. That's more of a pre-school thing I believe.

• Fairies and Mermaids!

Having worked (or have relatives work) at both parks, I'm partial to Great America myself. SFDK is fun, if only for the roller coasters your teen will like. Great America has a few more family friendly rides, IMO. As mentioned by Sir Clinksalot, up in my neck of the woods is the Jelly Belly factory (a little boring, but a bit of a must for the little ones, and the tour is free!) and if you get a chance away from the little ones (fat chance) the Budweiser brewery is also in Fairfield. Do go to the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk though, and Go A's.

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

• Minion

Thanks for the input everyone! My trip report is at http://micechat.com/forums/newreply....te=1&p=2959991