Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• =)

Re: Huge Fire at Universal Studios, CA

Wow! That's...really sad. As sad as I am about King Kong, the courthouse burning down is really pretty bad, too. Back to the Future and everything...

I'm glad they've got everything in the Video Vault backed up...

Well, at least they saved the clock and the top of the clockhouse.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    I would put my money on they would rebuild the King Kong attraction and the courthouse.
    I wouldn't put my money on them rebuilding Kong (and this is coming from someone who loves the Kong part of the tour).

For starters, he didn't last in Orlando and, to me, that doesn't bode well for Kong here. I just can't see them investing millions to recreate something that's been around for so long. IF Kong ever makes a return, I would bank on it being done a bit differently so that they can promote it like it as a new attraction instead of bringing back something that people already have seen a zillion times. It would be similar to a Nemo Subs project for them.

It's very sad news to read about both Kong and the courthouse square. They are two of the most special parts of the backlot to me. If the Psycho House goes too, it'd really be a heartbreaker to me....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    My father worked on King Kong all through its creation and he's also the voice of King Kong. Even if they rebuild it it won't be the same.
    Sorry to hear that Mr. Bone. I wonder how this thing started. I'm amazed that they can just cordon off the area and just go back to business as usual. This sounds like a tough loss for Universal. I wonder how much $$$ was wrapped up in King Kong and those sets. Was this stuff all insured?

Hmm...

• I love my family!

From watching the TV coverage It looks like the court house is still there. You can see the lawn in front and what looks to be the court house structure right behind it.

That would be some good news.

• My prices are INSANE!

Here's an image to give you an idea of the fire area.

The shaded area is the fire zone. The Clock Tower building is still standing.
    This area burned in 1990.

Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Its reported on yahoo news that the courthouse was damaged but not destroyed. The set from the back to the future burned down in the early 90s but was rebuild. This means that the back to the future set has been gone for quite some time. The courthouse, however, is original and has survived the fires of the past.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Quality not quantity

What is the tall long building right next to the video vault?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Still lost in Neverland

I just came home from my sisters in Lakewood and got off the Red Line Subway at the Universal Station and it was a mess up there. You can see dark plumes of smoke just billowing up behind the top portion of the Universal Theme Park. Lankershim is closed right in front of the main entrance, fire trucks are being stationed around that area, traffic is all backed up because of the street closure but not closing the freeway offramp or Ventura Blvd. I guess people just either don't listen to the news or pay any attention as the traffic is a nightmare right now. The buses had a devil of a time getting into the Universal Bus Station and a couple of them came in, unloaded the bus, drove around the station bus parking and came back to the load area and took off. People were still crossing the street into the main entrance tram area like nothing was wrong. The Park still has not been allowed to open by the Fire Marshall but they still plan to hold some award ceremony up there tonight. With that traffic down below I don't know how they expect anyone to get to the Amphitheater. What a terrible fire and it's really a mess around the area, so stay away.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Quality not quantity

Last edited by Moonliner; 06-01-2008 at 03:35 PM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Does anyone know if the Seinfeld Restaurant facade is still there? I believe it's on Brownstone St.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Does anyone know if the Seinfeld Restaurant facade is still there? I believe it's on Brownstone St.
    The brownstone street was part of the New York street section so it's probably gone.
    The Brownstone St backs up to the Courthouse Square area and was one of the area's that has burned twice that I know of.
    Once in 1990 and today.

At 2:45 P.M.an explosion was reported in the fire area cased by a pressurized cylinder, two people were injured bringing the total to 7 injured. Also the air quality is in question because of all the plastics in the video storage vault that are burning.

Sounds like the area is still a mess.
    Last edited by Crazy Larry; 06-01-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    The park opened about 1:00pm. The studio tour (aka the trams) are closed for today but are expected to reopen tomorrow.
    Are you sure? Latimes.com is reporting that they turned away about 500 people at 2:30 saying that the park is closed today.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,123067.story

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always told that the Seinfeld outdoor scenes were shot on the Paramount Backlot -- I remember them showing us them when I went to see a taping of the short-lived sitcom "Twenty Good Years".

• Circle of Ancients

Rumor has it that Universal may be interested in selling some of their property, their backlot property. This has led some Uni-insiders to believe this, like the fires of the past, may be more beneficial to the studios than not.

This is mere speculation on the part of those that have followed the history of the Studios for a while. I just thought I'd repeat it for you here. I have no idea if it is a legitimate claim or not. Just additional information (rumor) for you to speculate on.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast