Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: R.I.P. King Kong

Boo And courthouse square too
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Let's hope he is rebuilt, I mean, that tour would lose so much without Kong.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Over the course of around a 15 year period, I must have experienced the animatronic Kong stage experience a dozen times. Each time was as fun and fresh as the first. This probably had a lot to do with the fact that i was always bringing along a new friend or relative to enjoy it. Everybody on the tams were always totally emersed - and many of them startled, if not frightened.

Kudo's to your talented parents, BaseBone! They helped to create an attraction that has entertained millions of visitors from around the globe. You should contact the studio to see if the notes that your parents wrote were spared from the fire. I think that Kong will be rebuilt. If this is the case, you should ask to be on the set again - or even "nose in" and request to follow in your parents footsteps and help to rebuild Kong.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Goofy

oh no that is just sad, And I never got a chance to experience it and ride it.

• MC's Graveyard Crew

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    This mornings fire at Universal Studios destroyed a piece of my family's history and great piece of theme park design. My father worked on the King Kong portion of the Universal Studio Tour all through its inception and its construction. He was one of the sound designers of the attraction and also the voice of the titular giant ape. I was too young to remember, but apparently I visited the attraction several times when I was a child as it was being constructed, even going so far as to climb up Kong to look up his nose. My remarks? "There's nothing up there but speakers!" Down there among the hundreds of graffiti tags in the ride (most of them done by the creators of the attraction) is a slab of concrete with messages from my parents. Riding King Kong always made me happy because of my parents' contributions, but also because I always saw it as a wonderful example of a well-imagineered, well-constructed and engaging theme park attraction. I will miss it greatly.

What I'd like for this thread is for you to share your memories of King Kong. Is it special to you? Do you have any particularly exciting recollections? Ever get stuck in the soundstage? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
    Hey Bass,

Were you the one who posted video a while back of your father/design team working on the initial construction of the ride? I've been searching Youtube and a few other sites and haven't found much this evening.

Anyways, this is a true shame. My girlfriend and I had put off our visit to Universal last winter due to time constraints, and the power of the Mouse while we were in town. Kong used to scare the crap out of me when I was younger, but never got old as I've grown up. It will truly be missed.

Sean
    2300+ Theme Park Photos & More

• is too darn hot.

No, I don't have any video of my father working on the attraction. Sorry.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MC's Graveyard Crew

Hmmm the mystery continues then.......

I visit a wide variety of theme park sites, and I'm having a hard time figuring out where I saw this video first. As I recall, it pretty much showed Kong in its original testing hanger, before it was reassembled at Universal. (It could be that I'm thinking of the old Florida version, but I'm not sure.)

I'll keep up my search, and hopefully be able to post up the clip if I can ever find it again.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

-Sean
    2300+ Theme Park Photos & More

Blog Entries

This is so very sad, it was the last available place to ride Kong. To this day there's not a ride I miss at Universal in Orlando more than Kong. I really really wish they'd bring it back one day although I know they won't. I was always consoled however because I knew one day I'd get to see him again whenever I finally got to make my trip out west. Now that day may be gone.

Please rebuild it Universal, your park will never be the same without him.

A little blue bird told me that Bob Gurr Helped design the animatronic. Let me know if I should go bird hunting.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I wonder if they'll put a new King Kong back in or think of something entirely new. Or if they do go with King Kong if it'll be a Peter Jackson version.

Whatever the case, i hope it'll look better than it ever has.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Little Miss Sunshine

I did the Universal VIP tour in Hollywood last year. It was wonderful! That is so cool that your dad got to work on it. I am very sorry about the fire.

I have photos here in case anyone is interested:

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?...d=47&Itemid=76
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Minion

Here's a video of the great Kong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHa8OuaIxCY

He will be missed.

• Rides against injustice

So sad that a piece of theme park and so cal history is gone.
    I think they will eventually rebuild Kong but it wont be anytime soon. Hopefully they go all out and redo the show. The can even brand it "The Return of Kong!" or "Kong Lives!" or something.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Rides against injustice

This was one of my favorite parts. Where the helicopter reporter yells down at "the people in the tram" and the comes crashing down. Too cool <br>

RIP "Banana Breath"

• Hall Of Promise

Universal has some of the best visual effects in attractions, especially during their prime in the 90's. It was this attraction that got me out of loving normal theme parks and coasters (which I still do today) and into the more visual heavy attractions found at Universal and Disney. Before me becoming the Disney fan I am today I was actually a huge Universal fan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast