Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: R.I.P. King Kong

I'm not a very big fan of Universal theme parks but I am a HUGE fan of their backlots and the actual studios. Thats why I'm so saddened by this news.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

I always looked forward to the Kong portion of the tour. It never failed to freak me out, especially if I was on the Kong side of the tram!
    I want my cake back!

My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

Keep in mind that these are the folks that said the courthouse was completely destroyed. Other articles say it is coming back, others say it's not so we're kinda in a pickle right now, aren't we?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Goofy

lets hope they build a new fresh king king ride.

• is too darn hot.

Time for a "Rebuild Kong" campaign? I knew they wouldn't rebuild him. There were rumors a couple years ago of putting a Spider-man exhibit in that soundstage.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by GapToothed View Post

You know, I'm kinda glad. Universal is a park with little room to change. I would hate for them to tear King Kong out in favor of something else, but if it burned to the ground, then I'm more willing to accept the loss and move onto the next big thing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

^ I agree, but I just hope there WILL be a next big thing, and they don't just leave it be.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I too, have a weird connection to the great Kong. My parents had an independent business in the early eighties that already was working in NoCal. My stepDad decided to investigate into Orange County and so, for one long weekend, we flew out.

My mother was bored at the hotel and was tired of going to Disneyland (!!!) and decided, at 5am, that we were going to go to Universal Studios.

So, to avoid early morning traffic (wait, you can avoid traffic in California?) we headed out.

Little did we know, this was the first day of Kong and we were going to be one of the first trams to experience it. Arriving so early, we got that first tram and, along with many, many press agents and photographers, I was, supposedly, one of the first to see King Kong's rampage.

It was fun.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Blog Entries

That's a huge shame if Kong doesn't come back. If they're going to replace it, I hope its something as engaging and immersive as Kong was and not more cars on sticks.

I'm very sad if Kong isn't coming though. I've been depressed about him being gone from Florida but always had that hope that I'd one day see my friend again in Hollywood. That may be gone now.

What a shame that they've already announced not to expect Kong back. I expected no less, as it's an older attraction, but if the animatronic from Orlando's ride still existed, it would be a cost savings to rebuild, but I guess not.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• FastPass n00b

I always loved how "real" it all was and how the fear it induced was definitely real. The news reporters and police made it really seem as if the situation was out of control. Then actually acknowledging the tram going through brought the realism even higher.

Also, they built up the suspense. You could never actually see Kong until a minute into the ride. All you saw was the destruction and chaos, which really brought you into the panic of it all before you actually saw him. Very effective!

Nothing can replace the feel of this soundstage and because it was relatively new (compared to how old the lot is), I'm sure Universal will not bring it back since they are even less nostalgia-oriented than Disney. It's really sad because we've already lost the Falling Bridge and Icy Tunnel (that Mummy stuff just doesn't fly with me), now we have to face losing King Kong as well.

The first time I went to Universal in 1989, it had a HUGE effect on me. It's probably because I was 10 and was old enough to realize what was happening, unlike my first trip to Disneyland where I was in a stroller. King Kong and Jaws, not to mention the falling bridge, all terrified me!

I saw USF when it first opened and was amazed at attractions like Kongfrontation and Jaws. Kong was better there, and I'm surprised they took it out, I felt it was better than a lot of things that Disney does. I felt Jaws in Florida was one of the best theme park rides ever, in Hollywood it's so lame. Kong also was not as good in Hollywood, though I'm very sad to see it go. I feel Uni has done some things, especially large scale AAs better than Disney. Do you remember the Fievel/American Tail show at USH some years ago? It had articulated heads and if I remember correctly, a huge cat hand that was very well done. My point is that spectacular attractions like Kong are being abandoned in favor of 'high tech' attractions, I think to the detriment of theme parks as a whole.

There are actually some connections. Bob Gurr designed the Kong Animatronic/ falling chopper as well as the original trams (which the design influenced the current ones)

http://legends.disney.go.com/legends...l?key=Bob+Gurr
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• My Own Oasis

Here's two articles written by Bob Gurr on LaughingPlace. The first is about the design of the attraction and of Kong himself. The second is about the falling helicopter effect.

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID108400.asp
    http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID108410.asp

I too was terrified of King Kong at Universal when I was a kid, but the experience is still a vivid memory of my childhood and it's sad it looks like I won't get a chance to relive that experience.

Does anybody know what happened to the Kong animatronic from the Florida attraction? If it is sitting somewhere in a warehouse maybe Kong may live again!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast