Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• is too darn hot.

R.I.P. King Kong

This mornings fire at Universal Studios destroyed a piece of my family's history and great piece of theme park design. My father worked on the King Kong portion of the Universal Studio Tour all through its inception and its construction. He was one of the sound designers of the attraction and also the voice of the titular giant ape. I was too young to remember, but apparently I visited the attraction several times when I was a child as it was being constructed, even going so far as to climb up Kong to look up his nose. My remarks? "There's nothing up there but speakers!" Down there among the hundreds of graffiti tags in the ride (most of them done by the creators of the attraction) is a slab of concrete with messages from my parents. Riding King Kong always made me happy because of my parents' contributions, but also because I always saw it as a wonderful example of a well-imagineered, well-constructed and engaging theme park attraction. I will miss it greatly.

What I'd like for this thread is for you to share your memories of King Kong. Is it special to you? Do you have any particularly exciting recollections? Ever get stuck in the soundstage? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Minion

Re: R.I.P. King Kong

I really liked the King Kong part of the tour, because I loved Kongfrontation at USF. My first trip to California was long after Kongfrontation had closed in USF, so it was a treat to be able to see something that resembled Kongfrontation. Sadly now, both Kongs are gone.

• Addicted to MC since '08

I have so many memories of King Kong when I was little. I used to think that when he rocked the bridge ont he studio your, I would fall off. Good Bye Good Memories. *Tear*

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember his banana breath.

• Progressive Disneylander

My first visit to Universal Studios was when I was 20 years ago and King Kong was easily the thing I loved most about it. I've always loved the movie monsters and to have him right in your face like that was such a WOW-ing moment.

I've been to both Universals and the last time I was in Orlando was the first time I realize that Kong is no longer there. It was mixed emotions for me because I really enjoyed The Mummy ride, but I of course, missed the attraction that it replaced.

Now, there is no King Kong in America and probably never will be again. Much like the movie, Kong's fate is always tragic. *sigh*

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I got to experience Kong in 1989. I remember him scaring the bejebus out of me but then I was like, "Hey! His breath smells like bananas!" I got a couple pics I'll try to scan in later today. My dad got a great close-up of his teeth.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    This mornings fire at Universal Studios destroyed a piece of my family's history and great piece of theme park design. My father worked on the King Kong portion of the Universal Studio Tour all through its inception and its construction. He was one of the sound designers of the attraction and also the voice of the titular giant ape. I was too young to remember, but apparently I visited the attraction several times when I was a child as it was being constructed, even going so far as to climb up Kong to look up his nose. My remarks? "There's nothing up there but speakers!" Down there among the hundreds of graffiti tags in the ride (most of them done by the creators of the attraction) is a slab of concrete with messages from my parents. Riding King Kong always made me happy because of my parents' contributions, but also because I always saw it as a wonderful example of a well-imagineered, well-constructed and engaging theme park attraction. I will miss it greatly.

What I'd like for this thread is for you to share your memories of King Kong. Is it special to you? Do you have any particularly exciting recollections? Ever get stuck in the soundstage? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Wow. that's terrible. I hope they can somehow leave the concrete slab there. I'm sorry for your loss.

12/18 TC DAY

• Sock Puppet

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

How did the fire start?

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Minion

he was very special, and a BIG part of the tour.

we used to have this talent show here called Young Talent Time, and one year they went to Universal studios. One of the singers sang a song on the bridge with king kong behind her. I was sure there must be a copy of that online but I can't find it anywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtBBNLxq4E

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    How did the fire start?
    I think they're still trying to figure that out.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Ahhh. Hopefully no one was around when it happened.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Circle of Ancients

Kong was probably the best part of the tour. The mere size of him made a quick impression on everybody. Universal will certainly be far less of a place should they decide not to bring him back.

• Circle of Ancients

We were just mentioning last week that we all felt Kong was due for an upgrade. Not sure if they will rebuild Kong or not though.

• is too darn hot.

They probably won't.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast