Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• For You!

Need trip help to Boulder, Colorado

My mixed doubles tennis team just won our State tournament. Now we get to go to Boulder, Colorado to compete in Sectionals (July 18-20).

I've never been there, and have only driven through the Denver area. Any advice on hotels, restaurants, and fun things to do there would be helpful!

We'll probably be playing tennis in the daytime, but our late afternoons and evenings will be free!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

Re: Need trip help to Boulder, Colorado

Jen, thats awsome!! I have not been thru there in years. I am no help, but wanted to say Congrats to you !!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Awesome for you! Welcome to Colorado, friend, and welcome to Boulder! Probably one of our more beautiful cities in this terrific state.

First off, go ahead and fly into Denver and, well, you'll probably want to rent a car. The eastern plains are wide and it encourages sprall big time. Denver and Boulder stretch from side to side.

Once situated, get your map prepped and head out on I-70 to the Boulder turnpike. IMHO, it's pretty much a direct shot and a forty five minute drive, depending on traffic.

Since it is, by very defintion, a college-town, there are many hotels available. I've never had to stay there myself, living in both Aurora and Colorado Springs, but it is an observation. Try some websites like Hotel.com or trip advisor to compare locations to stay.

Do know where the actual competition will take place, address-wise? CU is HUGE! It has several gazillion buildings, so saying "it's at CU," won't help much. THe more specific information, the better we can echo-locate a hotel for you.

You'll be an hour from Estes Park. If you have time drive up there.

You'll want to hit up Pearl Street Mall, a closed, cobblestone throughfare that's great to visit. You might want to hit up the CU bookstore as well.

Boulder is hippie heaven, just so you know. Which is very, very surprising, due to the fact the real estate is so very expensive. But they are very, very, very open minded and health conscious. In fact, you can go to jail for smoking in some public areas....but if you are smoking pot/weed, it's partically legal.

Celestial Seasonings is located in Boulder and has a free tour and samples of hot and iced teas. Mucho fun!

You can see Mork and Mindy's house (we can get you directions later) too! How geeky is that!

Dang, I run here, I'll write more later!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• For You!

Thanks Roo! We just found out today that we're going (actually about an hour ago). We'll get a tournament packet probably tomorrow. I can get airfare out of Salt Lake City to Denver for about $59.00 each way. Not too shabby. We may stay with some friends that live somewhere near Denver, but the rest of my team will probably be staying at hotels.

When I get more info, I'll let you know - but it sounds like a great to town to spend a weekend in!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Thanks Roo! We just found out today that we're going (actually about an hour ago). We'll get a tournament packet probably tomorrow. I can get airfare out of Salt Lake City to Denver for about $59.00 each way. Not too shabby. We may stay with some friends that live somewhere near Denver, but the rest of my team will probably be staying at hotels.

When I get more info, I'll let you know - but it sounds like a great to town to spend a weekend in!
    Boulder is way fun. Good deal on the tickets, snag im! I'm thinking a minimeet is in order!?!??!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• For You!

That'd be great!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Dangnabit, the hubbie reminded me that I'll be at my 20th class reunion that weekend! Aw, stinkiepoopieheadbuttfacesnotnose!

Oh well. Still, I'll see what I can help ya with prior. We MiceChatters watch out for one another!

Peace,
    Roo

• For You!

Bummer Roo! But, I'm sure you'll have fun at your reunion!

• For You!

Here is the info we have so far

The dates are July 17-20. Check-in on the 17th and play 18-20. They have reserved rooms at Millennium Harvest House, 1345 28th Street, Boulder, CO, 80302. 1-800-545-6285 or 1-303-998-3850. The USTA Intermountain Section has contracted with the hotel and received a special group rate for players. A standard room is $119.00 + tax/night. You need to mention USTA/Intermountain Tennis or Group Code USTA2 to get the group room rate. Reservation cut-off date/deadline is Sunday, June 29, 2008. The tournament will be played in two locations in Boulder, CO. Millennium Harvest House Harvest House Sporting Association, 1345 28th Street, Boulder, CO 80302, 1-303-998-3850 and University of Colorado Courts-South Courts.

Any thoughts on hotels Roo? I have found a travel agent special at the Boulder Marriott, but I'm wondering if it will be a pain to get back and forth. I have no idea where anything is.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Oh I have heard GREAT things about the Millennium Harvest House! I haven't had a reason to stay there either, aving lived nearby and with the family still living out there. That might be the hotel we cut through after the Bolder Boulder. I'd think it'd be easier to stay w/the group.

Roo had some great ideas... We take guests to Estes Park, Pearl St and the Celestial Seasonings tour. Since you're athletic, I'd also suggest hiking up to the Flatirons, if that won't take too much out of you! Remember the air is thinner out there and some people have breathing issues. (I never have but I'm not that athletic). And, of course, Denver has a million things.

Boulder's a unique, fun and great city. You'll have blast! And gl on your tournament!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• For You!

I'm pretty high up here in idaho - not too worried about thin air, but if I get worn out hiking, my team will kill me!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Okay, on with my research whilst I wait for the repair man:

Review of the hotel provided, Millenium Harvest House have been favorable. Apparently, they just renovated this past fall. Prices offered are comparable. That information is from tripadvisor.com.

Location would probably be favorable, since events are being held there. A google search reveals that there are several hotels on 28th street...including a Best Western, Boulder Outlook, and a Quality Inn. Those might also be options. So it sounds like there are several that could also fit and won't be a long drive. But, again, with the competition, in part, being held at the recommended hotel, you are getting a bit more for your money and not spending the cash on gasoline.

As for restaurants, I'm at a loss. With the University there, you can expect to find chain restaurants (a blight if ever there was one) and lotsa, lotsa coffeehouses. Ask the college kids for cheap eats and see where they send you. With all the college kids having no cash, you can't go wrong. There used to be a Falafel King right on Pearl Street and that was always fun. Remember too, we may have pizza, but dough is a bit rough in the mountains; seafood is a bear to freeze and fly in. So stick to the local possiblities. Mexican food is terrific in Colorado, or usually so. And with all the cattle, carnivores are in heaven. Again, Boulder tends to be very "hippie" orientated (inspired by the University, I'm sure, with radical thinking) so vegetarians will also be content.

I recommend exercise as soon as you can when you arrive so your lungs can acclaimate to the altitude. True, you are up in the mountains as it is in Idaho, but people still tend to get really sick here in the hills. And, of course, drinking lots of water.

One thing fun that we do before going to Estes is renting and watching The Shining and then going to the Stanley hotel. It's a long movie, and the television version is a bit better---and it was filmed at the Stanley Hotel itself. Better even? Read the book.

I hope that helps!

Let us know what you decide!

And most of all, let's not forget why you are there. To have fun and kick some serious butt.

Do so and then call us in the morning!

Peace out,
    Roo

• For You!

Well, we're going to stay at the Marriott in Boulder - It's about $40.00 cheaper than the Millenium Harvest House and only looks to be a block away.

I got my flights and rental car - this is going to be an expensive little trip!

• For You!

Okay, slight change of plans - we're now driving. Rental cars were ridiculously priced - about $50.00 for a compact???!!!

So, we crunched the numbers and would save about $400.00 if we drove. Since we don't have restrictive jobs or anything, we are making a road trip out of it.

So, what kind of weather can I expect? I heard that it's going to be really hot. I guess I always pictured Boulder to be up in the mountains.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Hey Jen,

Boulder is in what is called "the Foothills and Frontrange" area of Colorado. I use to live in Longmont which is about ten miles from Boulder.
    What do you mean by really hot? I think the hottest i ever saw it get there was maybe 95, but it is usually a dry heat. The thing about Boulder and the Front Range in the summer is the chance for thunderstorms all the time. It would be nice and sunny during the day, and then about 5, the thunderheads would roll in.
    Oh, and if you like pizza, don't forget to seek out the local Beau Jeaus pizza. It is a must for me every time i make a trip out there to see my family.

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast