• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool USH/SFMM-Good & Bad-A Miracle-The Horror!

I'm wet and something is on fire; must be at Universal. Let's start with the miracle; this is the type of ticket we used for entry on Thursday, June 19, 2008.

They were part of a trove of old tickets given to my wife's dad through work many year's back, including Knott's and DL ticket books (1 fully intact) and over a dozen DL 1 day passports from the days of $17.95. We used the DL one's mostly in 2003, and I really didn't consider trying with USH until I came across them again a few weeks back. After a few emails, they said just bring 'em to will call. These are 30 year old tickets, people! After allowing extra time for the certain "I need to check with my lead", we were at the head of the pack when they opened the gates 15 minutes early, and let us enter to a designated point.

No rope, though. Therefore, after a while people would come in, apparently thinking all these unrelated people of varying ages, races, nationalities and languages are just some mysterious group that all decided to stop right here. Until opening, we were entertained by watching them rush forward, only to be driven back. Then it was time for Les Simpson, Le Ride.

My most recent new rides were the subs and Crush's Coaster. In both cases, we were among the first on, but the wait was already 90 min. when we got off. No worries here, merely 5 min. for the repeat ride. Headed down to ride ROTM thrice, and then JP, walk-ons all. After Backdraft, I knew we were home free for the day. I even stopped for the survey guy, who ultimately offered me $20 to come into the AC indoors and take a survey about prepared food packaging and tasting a chicken and pasta dish that would be sold in delis, but since I signed a confidentiality agreement, I can't talk about it (oops!). He did admit just before we got on the elevator that it was 20 "Universal Dollars", and we could get cash for them if we pushed it at guest relations. I'd figured to buy a T shirt anyway, which was now free after the AAA discount essentially took off the tax. Pulled out the camera before we headed back up.

With the prediction of 104 degress, the boy suggested the tram before it got too hot. Earlier than I figured, but he had a point.

Fire clean-up continues.

More dino rampaging.

Wonder if there'll be a flood on that wet street?

Guess so.

Fast and Furious is new since my last visit.

Cars are new, too.

What's that Lassie? Trouble at the old BART station?

This airplane is very badly parked.

We were hungry, and wanted a relaxing lunch. I'd heard that the Hard Rock Gift Shop served food.

Prepared for diabetics and Kieth Richards in the john.

Now I have to get a Marx Bros film so the boy will know who this is. He was sharp, right there when I did Harpo's schtick of offering my leg for a handshake.

Waterworld proves that the attraction and inspiration are two different animals.

Wonder if the fire will spread to that scorched fuel tank?

Guess so.

The next day, Friday June 20, with MMtn set to open at 10:30, we arrived at 9:55, made that final right and were staring at a mass of cars filling every lane to every booth. I let the boy out, but to no avail; didn't get into a spot until 10:30. We waited an hour for X2. On it (and Tatsu) they would hold people before the station, letting a few go at a time, and stopping loose objects. A guy was even walking people to the load spots. It was really orderly, and supported by me fully. Don't know when they started (with the locker policy, perhaps?), but kudos 6 Flags.

After that, it was smooth sailing on Goliath, Batman, Riddler, Ninja and Tatsu (twice with FP). All were running 2 trains, and we never waited more than 4 cycles to board. At Goliath, a few showed up with FPs while we waited, so I told them not to bother, the line wasn't even to the stairs. Superman has a great AC in the queue, but with a backup to the building entrance, and only one side running, we just enjoyed the cool for a few then split. Viper's line wasn't even on the stairs, but we had to drive back to the Bay, and wanted to make it before dark. In the car by 2:30, and checked the outside temp.

ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN DEGREES!

The horror..............the horror!

Thanks for looking.

A bientot.
    Last edited by ralfrick; 06-21-2008 at 08:40 PM.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Re: USH/SFMM-Good & Bad-A Miracle-The Horror!

Nice report! Nice pictures of USH since the fire!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Great pictures and reporting.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: USH/SFMM-Good & Bad-A Miracle-The Horror!

Quote Originally Posted by WheresMickey View Post
    USH since the fire!
    What's frustrating is that although they stop and talk about it, it's at a place with a fence and security tent blocking the view. Going up the hill afterwards you're both close and above, but have to look quickly between the passing trees.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• C4C6C

That's cool about the tickets. I have a bunch of employee comp tickets from when i worked at USH and they are still good to this day. And they work at USF also even though they say Universal Studios Hollywood. Since they are employee tickets, they accept them there.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    I'm wet and something is on fire; must be at Universal.
    This is the best description of Universal Studios EVER.

And pretty accurate.