• FastPass n00b

Knott's Steakhouse still there?

I didn't actually realize Knott's had both a steakhouse and a chicken restaurant, for some reason my memories got meshed into one building (the chicken restaurant). I didn't even think to look for the steakhouse because I didn't know it was a completely separate building...all my memories of it were as a little kid.

Anyway, the first time I went to Knott's in a while was January and I was absolutely livid when I turned a corner in the California Marketplace only to find a fenced off area with a huge wooden structure. I could've tore the whole thing down right there if I didn't control myself. It was a huge shock because I was literally strolling down memory lane, only to be cut off abruptly. I've since come to terms with that loss and although it's still very painful, I'm not mad at Cedar Fair anymore...especially since it was the family that initiated the whole change in the first place.

I know that the Pan For Gold, devil/volcano and some other shops are gone, but what concerns me is that the Steakhouse was in this general area. I'm almost sure that it's gone too, but I'd just like some closure to hear for sure that it's gone. That place holds 15 years of memories for me, every minute of those memories is as a kid too. I can live with its destruction, but I can't live with the uncertainty of not even knowing if it still exists or not.

Also, does anyone have any pictures of this area or the steakhouse? It's been so long since I've experienced that area I can't seem to put my scattered memories into a cohesive whole.

People can say what they want about Cedar Fair, the Knott family itself did the most damage with Ghostrider IMO. It's a truly awesome ride, no doubt, but it altered the skyline, atmosphere and history of the park forever. It would be like Disney ripping out Mainstreet, U.S.A. to put in California Screamin'. Knott's was doomed well before Cedar Fair stepped in.

• Ok time for cocoa

Re: Knott's Steakhouse still there?

It is now Auntie Pastas. You need to be in the park to access it.

All of the wonderful, western theme, original, painting are gone, painted over in primary colors, shiny primary colors, lots of shiny primary colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• FastPass n00b

Thank you for this information! I am obviously disappointed that the western theming is gone, but it's nice to know the building still remains. Just being in that building again would bring back memories.

Do you know when this change was made from the western theme to the Auntie Pasta theme?

• Ok time for cocoa

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    Thank you for this information! I am obviously disappointed that the western theming is gone, but it's nice to know the building still remains. Just being in that building again would bring back memories.

Do you know when this change was made from the western theme to the Auntie Pasta theme?
    Not long after Ceder Fair took over. There may have been a middle stage, before Auntie's.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• Sock Puppet

According to the web site, Pan for Gold is still in operation.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Pan for Gold is still at Knott's, but it has been moved around a few times. The most famous location was where the end of the entrance tunnel for Ghostrider is now. It was near the exit of the park, and next to the Steakhouse (now Auntie Pasta's). It's current location is neat the Graveyard are on the North end, basically near the new Pony Express.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by perlster View Post
    According to the web site, Pan for Gold is still in operation.
    Not in the same location. The original, well-themed mining pit is now part of the Ghostrider queue. The new location is over near Boot Hill, but it doesn't look like a mine.

By the way, the locker building near Ghostrider was once the old candy store, where you could look in the side windows and watch them make nummy treats. If you remember that place and stare at the locker building for a few seconds, you get an "Oh, yeah! That was here!!" reaction, followed by a sudden craving for Boysenberry taffy.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Not in the same location. The original, well-themed mining pit is now part of the Ghostrider queue. The new location is over near Boot Hill, but it doesn't look like a mine.

By the way, the locker building near Ghostrider was once the old candy store, where you could look in the side windows and watch them make nummy treats. If you remember that place and stare at the locker building for a few seconds, you get an "Oh, yeah! That was here!!" reaction, followed by a sudden craving for Boysenberry taffy.
    I actually haven't ridden Ghostrider yet, it was closed when I last went. This is just amazing how much of the old park is underneath all that wood. I did see the Pan For Gold attraction (or what was left of it) near Boot Hill but it's the mining pit that I remember about the old attraction. You could actually look down into that pit from the free zone...it was always torture if you weren't going into the park that day.

I also remember the Candy Shop, I think this is where you could see the cakes getting made. It's good to know where these old places are in relation to the ride.

Thank you so much for mentioning them.