First Time to Hurricane Harbor - Icky!

I'm not exactly a waterpark afficianado; I've only been to Blizzard Beach so I'm probably somewhat spoiled by the Disney efficiency and cleanliness.

• First thing, I don't understand why they wait so long between waterslide loads. Yes, I understand wanting to make sure the bottom of the slide is clear, but it seemed they were way too cautious about it.
    • The park was clean at the beginning of the day, but by the end there was trash everywhere. I didn't see any 'sweepers' or janitors through out the day, and don't get me started on the disgusting change/bathrooms.
    • The food was *very* expensive, even compared to Disney prices.
    • On the body slides they had rules about no basketball shorts, cotton shorts, and rivets that people didn't realize and they told them at the TOP of the line. It didn't affect me, but people were very upset! And rightfully so.
    • There were some slides that were closed, yet people were waiting anyway. There was NO communication from the lifeguards. The closed slide was fully staffed (lifeguard at top and bottom) and there was an open slide without staffing at the bottom. The lifeguard wouldn't let us go down since the there was no one at the bottom - not because the slide was closed?

Overall, it was kind of a disappointing day because of the long wait times and crowds. I might go back on a weekday to better judge the slides since a long wait kind of muddles your review of the actual slide.

If you do go on a weekend, get there at opening and ride all the slides. The waits were shortest for the first few hours. When we left at sixish they were just beginning to dwindle down, but not by much.

• Senior Minion

Re: First Time to Hurricane Harbor - Icky!

Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl View Post
    • On the body slides they had rules about no basketball shorts, cotton shorts, and rivets that people didn't realize and they told them at the TOP of the line. It didn't affect me, but people were very upset! And rightfully so.

I noticed that too at KI's Boomerang Bay. There are small metal rivets on mens trunks (side and back pockets sometimes) and they scrape the slide, so they aren't allowed. But they don't have any signs posted or anything, not until you wait an hour in line and the lifeguard checks your shorts to say if you can go on or not. If they are just on the side pockets, then you can roll up your shorts before going down, but if they are on the back pocket, forget it.
    Why are people not told about this beforehand???
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Circle of Ancients

I agree that they should let people know about the rivets, but I do believe there is signage at the entrance of the park about this. It's common knowledge at most waterparks that you can't have any kind of metal things that could wreck the slide.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree that they should let people know about the rivets, but I do believe there is signage at the entrance of the park about this. It's common knowledge at most waterparks that you can't have any kind of metal things that could wreck the slide.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
    I looked at our park and didn't see a thing - i'm sure many people complained about it, I heard quite a few angry people coming back down the stairs after not being able to go on.
    I didn't even know of this rule until now.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban