Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• FastPass n00b

A requiem for Star Trek: The Experience

Guys, I thought I could get it out of my head, but I've been thinking about it all week and the closure of Star Trek: The Experience is just a lot more painful than I first thought. I know many of us are probably not Star Trek fans so you probably don't understand, but it's on the same level as losing the SkyWay or PeopleMover. The attraction did slide downhill, not because of deterioration but because it was never updated, so I'll try to explain how I felt about it back in 2000.

First of all, for those who have never seen it, you have to know Star Trek in order to even understand the place. The more you know (and love) Star Trek, the more you would take from it. It's in a corner of the hotel, down a very long hallway and across from a bunch of slot machines. But it's so immersive that even this incoherent theming is no problem. Quark's Bar is exactly as it sounds, it looks *exactly* like they took it right off Deep Space 9 and stuck in into Las Vegas. Considering it was a TV show set in the distant future being translated into a day-to-day restaurant with pratical considerations this is a very impressive feat. The menus items were named after the shows from the original series all the way up to Deep Space 9. For instance they had "Liquid Latinum" and "Class M Pizza"...again, references that only a Star Trek fan could appreciate. And the characters that come out and interact with the patrons are excellent actors in makeup taken right off the show. Each character has its own unique personality that fits with the species and the never break character for anything. It's incredibly impressive.

The restaurant was free but if you paid an admission you could see a "museum" of sorts, and for even more you could experience the very impressive rides. The museum contained actual props from the original show, movies and all sorts of other series. It had a huge timeline showing all the events of the Star Trek universe and it had huge models of the Enterprise hanging overhead. I only rode the Klingon Encounter and never saw the Borg thing, but to avoid major spoilers, I'll just say that the ride is one of the most impressive and immersive I've ever seen. It's on the same level as Terminator 2: 3D, and mabe even beyond that!

There is a gift shop filled to the brim with everything Star Trek. They had the Next Generation episodes playing in there at all times and you could hear the theme song in many places of the Experience. It was truly as if you were living in the world of the Star Trek universe. You just don't know how weird a "living dream" is until you experience one. Many people mistakingly refer to it casually but for a major lifelong Star Trek fan, the first time you walk into The Experience, it literally is like walking through your dreams in real life. It's a feeling you could never describe in words, other than absolutely pure bliss every second you are standing there. But like I mentioned, if you don't care about Star Trek or have a passive and casual stance towards it, this place wouldn't do a thing for you. It's *heavily* geared towards the relatively hardcore fanbase.

I was born into Star Trek films in 1979. I grew up with movies like Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home (the one with the whales) and saw Undiscovered Country on the big screen. I had always watched the original series and loved it from day one. I have to admit I was pissed when the Next Generation first came out "ruining" the original, but after a while I warmed up to it and it became my favorite series. Star Trek has some fans on the lunatic fringe who dress up in full makeup, know all the specs to every ship and go to every convention on the planet, but I consider myself as big a fan as any sane person could be. It's been deeply ingrained into my life and there's not many things that matter to me on TV or in the movies as much as Star Trek.

When I was watching a movie rental in 1998 I saw an ad in the previews for this "Star Trek ride" (this was before the days of DVD and Netflix). I thought it sounded cool but didn't give it a second thought and never really planned on going there. But in 2000 I celebrated my 21st birthday and went to Vegas. On the way we stopped and someone was handing out coupons to that Star Trek thing I remembered seeing a few years back. I decided on "why not" and went, thinking it would be a fun thing to pass the time in between drinking binges. Little did I know how absolutely stunned I would be a few hours later! My jaw just about hit the floor and I've been a fan of Star Trek: The Experience ever since. It's been a time in my life I'll never forget and that place will always share a soft spot in my heart.

Anyway, I couldn't let The Experience go out without saying something about it. It's had a profound experience on my recent trips to Las Vegas and it deserves to be recognized one last time. Just like the Next Generation ended, all good things must come to an end. I remember many painful endings Star Trek has taken us through in the past 20 years like seeing Tasha Yar and James T. Kirk die, the Next Generation come to a close and the abomination of Nemesis, but this is real life and it's the hardest ending to be able to take yet.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 07-04-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Sad Re: A requiem for Star Trek: The Experience

I agree with you! it is a real shame.

For me, any trip to vegas is incomplete without visiting Star Trek: The Experience.

I start watching ST:TNG I never liked TOS very much...

Saludos

• The line's too long...

Re: A requiem for Star Trek: The Experience

I'll be going to Vegas for the first time in a few weeks to see the Experience before it closes. I doubt they'll ever be anything like it again for ST fans.

• Newbie.

I've never been to the Vegas Star Trek Experience, but does anyone remember the Star Trek Adventure at Universal Studios back in 1988? Some audience members would be selected, put in costume, and then they would film a scene. You could buy a copy of it afterwards... I thought it was pretty cool back then, but I was a lot younger. I was never selected, so I don't have a copy.

Update: I have found videos on Youtube. The internet is indeed amazing. Actually I'm kinda glad there isn't any video evidence of me "acting" in one of these videos.....whew! lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWIpmJO9GN4
    Last edited by EpTxGuy; 07-04-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Because I can.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

That was a beautiful post, Athlonacon. I grew up with the original ST and have done the Experience twice -- and I will fully admit to seriously choking up each time we were "beamed aboard". I nearly missed the rest of the tour because of that! Too bad it can't be moved to some other park - Kings Island in Ohio is (was?) owned by Paramount and used to have many ST characters walking around -
    okerry

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

I didn't even know it was closing. Is it already closed? I've actually never done the experience; is there still time before it shuts down?
    --Jonathan

I do really agree that losing The Experience is a sad day, indeed. Though I heard a rumor that its possible CBS is looking to make another one somewhere else.

Now its sad were losing the Experience... but I want you, and any other fans, to check the following website (http://crypticstudios.com/) in approximately 18 days. I think a very interesting link may just appear for fans of Trek.

(Notice the countdown on that website? Just count with me... 18 days left).

• Former DLR Cast Member

It will be missed.

I always enjoyed getting to experience Star Trek in the flesh. I used to go to ST:TE quite often during it's early years. I enjoyed partaking in a Talaxian Turkey Wrap or a Class-M Pizza for my birthday, not to mention the fun in interacting with Klingons and Ferengi. I was awe struck the first time I was transported onto the U.S.S. Enterprise-D, and brought onto the bridge. I remember grinning like a fool the first time you do the fly-by on the Enterprise and the Star Trek fan fair plays.

Years later, just before the Borg Invasion 4-D opened up, I landed a job at the Experience. I have spent the past 4 + years helping guests have an out of this world experience. I am going to miss talking Trek with people, making them laugh, and helping them form positive memories. It was great working in a Theme Park (even though it was tiny in overall size) whose visitors were excited to see something they love come to life.

It's been a bit heartbreaking lately to have to explain to people that we are closing. Some of the big fans really seem lost, like a child who was just told Santa Claus isn't real. The convention this year is going to have many sad guests.

To quote the title to the last episode of The Next Generation...

"All Good Things..."
    Last edited by ImagineerAtHeart; 08-04-2008 at 01:32 AM.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere"

I got to check out STTE on my recent trip to Vegas in July. I wanted to visit the attraction on past trips but never wanted to shell out the cash to do so. With them announcing their closing I decided that it was now or never!

I really liked it! The projector quality in the Klingon Enouncter is showing it's age, but as overall attractions that and Borg 4D are pretty cool. The actors we had were really into it, which helps a lot.

I wanted to photo document as much of it as I could (they are strict abuot no photos inside the rides or theaters) seeing as it won't be around much longer. Part One and Part Two of my photo reports are up with the full details of the visit.

It's sad that it's closing but after my recent visit I can say that I'm not sure that STTE 'fits' with current Vegas. It's funny, though, becuase at the time the attraction opened I think Vegas was one of the only places something like that would work. Now it's so different, it almost seems out of place.

I hope CBS comes through with a new home, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

• R.I.P. Mandy

May I say that I am ticked off (and saddened) that they've already emptied and tarped half the retail area. Come on! Can we at least keep up the illusion until they close? [grumbles]don't want star trek to close[/grumbles]
    Introducing- The Geek Tutorial! The new informational webseries on computers and the geekiness of life.

Screw eHarmony- I met my soulmate at Star Trek: The Experience.

Random funny exchange from Star Trek: The Experience:

BF: "If you take any photos on the attraction, we will shoot you with a phaser."
    Guest: "On stun?"
    BF: "Maybe....."
    Me: "I wouldn't trust him."

Quote Originally Posted by SallySkellington View Post
    May I say that I am ticked off (and saddened) that they've already emptied and tarped half the retail area. Come on! Can we at least keep up the illusion until they close? [grumbles]don't want star trek to close[/grumbles]
    Yeah, I can understand what your feeling. My wife and I were there back in early Feb. We did everything including the behind the scenes tour. Few people can comprehend how much is involved with that attraction. I imagine they are trying to get as much of a lead in the dismantling process as possible. Hilton didn't give them a lot of time to vacate, all things considered.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I liked it too, that a bunch of Trekkies/Trekkers could find employment doing something they loved--being in the program. Those performers made the show--it was awesome!

And the queue, with it's transporters, was also worth riding at least three times.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• R.I.P. Mandy

It just hit me today, really hit me, that it's going to be gone in less than two weeks. Gone. Two weeks. I almost started crying in my cubicle.

Introducing- The Geek Tutorial! The new informational webseries on computers and the geekiness of life.

BF: "If you take any photos on the attraction, we will shoot you with a phaser."

• Minion

I'm going to be there on Labor Day Weekend (the weekend it closes). I saw it back in 2005 and thought it was amazing. The way the "experiences" immerse you in the Star Trek world is like what Disney used to do with attractions like Indy and the Haunted Mansion. Borg Assault 4D and Klingon Encounter weren't merely rides, they (like the greatest Disney rides) were truly experiences. Before the actual ride part of Borg Invasion you have already come face to face with the Borg. It's so awesome that in one part of the pre-ride experience :
    Spoiler
    a Borg comes out of the ceiling and grabs a crew member
    . Before you even board the actual simulator on Kilingon Encounter, you have already walked on the bridge of the Enterprise and have been
    Spoiler
    on an elevator that shakes when hit by Klingon missles.

If you haven't seen Star Trek: The Experience, please do. If Disney built it, Walt would have been very, very, very proud.
    Last edited by GhostHost2; 08-23-2008 at 12:13 PM.

• R.I.P. Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Borg Assault Invasion 4D
    Sorry, I just go there all the time and am picky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast