Is the Blue Lagoon worth it?

I'm assuming the Blue Lagoon is similar to Disneyland's Blue Bayou in terms of being very pricey, but I have always loved dining in the attraction aspect. Is DP's Blue Lagoon worth the price?

• is satisfactual.

Re: Is the Blue Lagoon worth it?

I think so. I must admit I rarely muster up the will to go fine-dining because — as I'm admitting to far too much on these boards — I'm always by myself and have no patience at all, so I might not have that much to compare it to (including the Blue Bayou), but I thought it was excellent. The food, the presentation of the food, the atmosphere, all of it.

It has a very fishy/coconutty menu. Always good to know in advance.

It has somewhat of a mixed reputation, with some veterans claiming to have seen rats(?) and others claiming to have had bad experiences with snotty French staff, but I find that it depends almost entirely on how you treat them. As always, yelling at them in English gets you nowhere (although it might scare off the rats), but if you act like the well-behaved, worldly patron that lurks somewhere in all of us, they're more often than not quite wonderful. And tip-worthy.

Although there's no bargaining about waterside tables. So make sure to mention that when you make reservations and not when you arrive to eat!

Oh and I like the Br'er Rabbit theme we've got going on here.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 01-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks for the wonderful reply. This is very helpful and it seems like it would be well worth it. Neither my other half nor I are huge fans of fish, but we've yet to have fish in France--so maybe we'll be persuaded

I especially appreciate the tip on the waterside dining--I'd have never have thought to ask when making a reservation. Now to decide whether to go Tues, Wed, or Thurs and find the dining number

Any counter service places that are your favorite??

Oh--and I've done Disneyland Anaheim by myself--so I know the feeling

Oh #2--you gotta love B'rer Rabbit and Company! They've always been my favorite since I was a kid. I love your signature (and have wondered how you made it!).

Thanks again

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I think so. I must admit I rarely muster up the will to go fine-dining because as I'm admitting to far too much on these boards I'm always by myself and have no patience at all, so I might not have that much to compare it to (including the Blue Bayou), but I thought it was excellent. The food, the presentation of the food, the atmosphere, all of it.

It has a very fishy/coconutty menu. Always good to know in advance.

It has somewhat of a mixed reputation, with some veterans claiming to have seen rats(?) and others claiming to have had bad experiences with snotty French staff, but I find that it depends almost entirely on how you treat them. As always, yelling at them in English gets you nowhere (although it might scare off the rats), but if you act like the well-behaved, worldly patron that lurks somewhere in all of us, they're more often than not quite wonderful. And tip-worthy.

Although there's no bargaining about waterside tables. So make sure to mention that when you make reservations and not when you arrive to eat!

Oh and I like the Br'er Rabbit theme we've got going on here.

• Everthing is Satisfactual

I would say yes - definately if you have never been before.

As mentioned, the "exotic" menu does sound somewhat strange,
    a lot of coconut, mango and fishy items.
    These all sounded like bad combinations to me - but what I tried tasted very good.

I saw no problems with hygiene as all seemed well maintained when I was there in December. Also the staff were quick and efficient and served us with no problems. Maybe not as cheery as some staff - but not unhelpful at all.

Thew riverside dining is an experience, but it can be somewhat unnerving knowing people in the boats are all watching you - and a few people shouted "hello" or "bon appetit" at us.

But overall, I would say it is definately worth a try!

• Geoff London

If you are into seafood this is your restaurant. It's now regarded as the best in all of DLRP- even above Walt's. And, yes, I won't pretend they do have rats but it's doubtful you'll see even one. They have a rodent extermination company in to deal with them. The hygene is scrupulous.
    They even have rats at the Blue Bayou over at DL. Warmth, water and food scraps are an open invitation to ratty and friends. Don't think for a moment that most hotels and restaurants don't have them world wide.

If you don't want a table near the bayou water area then say so.

Here's the menu from 2008 -prices may have risen. 1 Euro = $1.32 or 0.90 at time of writing (1/16/09)

Buccaneers Menu - 28,00 €
    Choose one starter, choose one main dish, choose one dessert
    Sea Treasures Menu - 38,00 €
    Choose one starter, choose one main dish, choose one dessert
    Teenagers' Menu (12 - 16 years old) - 15,00 €
    Choose main dish, choose one dessert
    Children's Menu (3 - 11 years old) - 10,00
    Choose one main dish, one dessert, 1 soft drink or milk (25CL)
    Starters
    Crunchy crab with chives, passion fruit vinaigrette - 11,30 €
    Tahiti style prawn and pineapple cocktail - 9,20 €Antilles Caress - 12,00 €
    Cold lobster with spiced mayonaise and crunchy vegetables - 16,00 €Fried scallops with orange curry sauce and sweet potato puree - 11,40 €
    Half a pineapple with vegetables archers - 9,50 €Smoked ham with paw paw - 9,50 €
    Main Dishes
    Vegetable colombo with coconut milk - 14,90 €
    Tango Mango, Grilled swordfish - 21,50 €Veal Paillard grilled with spices - 24,50 €
    Flambeed ostrich steak - 23,50 €Roasted prawns with basil and mixed fried vegetables - 28,00 €
    Grilled fillet of beef - 26,00 €Colonial chicken curry with coconut petals - 16,20 €
    Tuna and swordfish fricasse with coriander and badian-flavoured rice - 19,30 €
    Lacquered duck fillet kebab - 22,00 €
    Desserts
    Creme brulee with gingerbread flavouring - 6,90 €
    Bora-Bora fresh fruit cocktail - 8,80 €The sugar coated expedition - 9,50 €
    Moist chocolate cake with mango coulis - 8,30 €
    Pineapple Discovery - 7,50 €
    Crumbly apricot and pistachio pie - 8,40 €
    Roast banana with vintage rum, vanilla ice cream and dried banana - 7,90 €
    Last edited by geoffa; 01-16-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

First the menu geoffa has posted is slightly outdated and changes have been made, but prices remain about the same. The new menu is a bit smaller and offers new options like a starter + Main Course in cooked and served in under 40 mins.

My problem with the Blue Lagoon is that service appears to be understaffed and it takes a while to be served. Also by the time you get your meal its often on the cold side, although my last visit the food was quite hot so improvements are being made. The actual quality and ingrediants used has also improved. I took the time to take a couple of pictures to give you an overall impression of the food found here...

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Personally, I have tried the Blue Lagoon several times and had badd food/service every single time (about 8 attempts over 17 years). We much prefer Walt's and the Silver Spur. The Blue Bayou is superior in every way. It's a shame.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Thanks for the detailed reviews, everyone! It looks wonderful--and having eaten in the U.S. parks, I know the realities of service in dealing with so many folks. I wonder how late their latest seating is? The park closes at 7, so I'd like to eat late and miss as little park time as possible.

Any favorite quick service restaurants???

Thanks much

Dan

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by BrerDan View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reviews, everyone! It looks wonderful--and having eaten in the U.S. parks, I know the realities of service in dealing with so many folks. I wonder how late their latest seating is? The park closes at 7, so I'd like to eat late and miss as little park time as possible.

Thanks much

Dan
    I really think you should rethink your strategy. It is best to enjoy the park near closing with shorter lines and also final seating service is very poor. Personally we find it best to eat at the table service for lunch when the lines are there longest and at counter service you can easily wait 30 min to get served. It is not America. Also, if you insist on eating at the awful Blue Lagoon (really Walt's is THE special restaurant of DLP, like Club 33 but open to all) it is much better to go at lunch with the contrast between day and "night".

As for counter service, DLP is not great in this department, but we opt for Fuente del Oro (tex mex) or Cowboy Cookout BBQ in Frontierland. Pizzaria Belle Notte is not bad for Italian in Fantasyland. And Casey's Corner for hot dogs. For me, the best restaurants are in the following order:

Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show - AMAZING show, best Disney has done world wide (food mediocre though)
    California Grill (DLH) - premiere restaurant
    Steakhouse (Village) - similar feel to Cal Grill in WDW or Steakhouse55 in DL
    Walt's (Main Street) - tribute to Walt and Imagineering
    Silver Spur (Frontierland)- great steaks in a cattleman's club with show kitchen
    King Ludwigs (Village) - great german food and beer/wine in a castle
    Annette's (Village) - 50's soda shop with junk food.
    Auberge de Cindrillon (Fantasyland) - Princess meal with wonderful French cuisine and wine
    Yacht Club (Newport Bay Club) - great fish, lobster and steaks

I cannot recommend the Blue Lagoon to anyone (they have a rat problem, several food poisoning cases and poor service). Looks nice, but never again.

My views are based on 51 trips to DLP, 300+ to DL and 6 weeks worth of WDW experience.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• is satisfactual.

Hmmmm, it looks like not everyone agrees with you, Dave.
    Blue Bayou: so bad for vegetarians

(Oh and thanks for the compliment, BrerDan! That post must've slipped past me.)

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by BrerDan View Post
    Is it too late? Have you already gone on your trip?

For quick service our favorites were Casey's (a must at any Disney park) and Toad Hall for Fish & Chips.

And I highly recommend Blue Lagoon. The first time we went the food was okay, the service terrible. But most recently both the service and food were excellent (the ostrich steak was incredible)! And of course, the atmosphere!