• A Weather Eye Open

Recommendations for short student stay?

I am going to be in London for 3 weeks for a theatre class this coming January (2010).

Some friends and I are thinking of taking a short trip to DLP! Looking at the Eurostar timetables, I don't think a day trip would be right at all; we'd need to stay the night. We'd take the train from London in the morning, spend the rest of the day in the resort, spend the night somewhere, spend the next morning and daytime in the resort, and then take the train back to London in the mid/late evening.
    Perhaps, if my fellow students so desire, we'd make it two nights and 3 days in the resort, as we have a full weekend free without classes to spend outside of London, but as energetic young students (with tons of Disneyland California experience), I think we could do all we wanted in 2 days, and of course we're all on a major budget for this trip.

I'm looking for a nearby cheapy hotel or hostel, or a B&B type place that we could spend the night. None of use are familiar with Paris at all (though I'm quite god with maps and will study up), so it'd be best if the place we stayed was just a 1 or 3 trainstops within the resort.

I suppose we should look for a place with single beds instead of double beds. It's usually cheaper to get a room that sleeps 4 instead of 2 rooms that sleep 2, I suppose. We's e happy to do the whole "shared bathroom" thing (as opposed to en suite) if it meant a cheaper price!
    We also don't have a real headcount on who wants to go with us; we'll probably only get people in on the little trip for sure once we have all the details hammered out on how much it will cost, where we'll stay, what times we leave, etc. So it could be anywhere from 2 to 8 of us I expect!

Does anyone have any recomendations for me, in terms of planning this trip? The primary thing to do will be to ensure lodging first; the last thing I want is to have train tickets, Disneyland tickets, and no safe place to sleep!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Re: Recommendations for short student stay?

Have a look at the Tulip Hotel , or at Val d'Europe, which is one short train stop form DLP at the Adagio Aparthotel, or the Hotel Elysee. The Elysee may look pricier, but if you book via the DLP website you will get park entry, breakfast and early park entry. It is the only non-disney hotel to offer early entry. The rooms sleep 4 on a double bed and 2 single sofa beds. They have adjoeing rooms that slepp up to 6.

We have booked the Elysee in January. More details will be in my trip report.

Most french accommodation that I have found has two doubles for 4 people, which may be awkward for you.

For the best prices, reset your cookies and log in to the official DLP site as a UK resident. You will need to give a UK address when you book, but you can give your student address in the UK. The vouchers are emailed, not posted. You will have to pay up front.

If you call the booking line, ask for the UK prices. I think phone bookings allow you to place a deposit and pay the balance later.

Check out Trip Advisor for Marnee le Vallee (dlp) and Serris (Val d'Europe for other options.
    Visited DLR 1976,1978,1991,2001,2007, 2011; WDW 1976,1985: DLRP 2010

With regard to train tickets -the Eurostar prices are cheaper the further out you book. You may want booking transport an early priority. Again, it may be cheaper to book via the UK site. Eurostar also offers cheap DLP accomodation.

You can book Eurostar as part of a DLP package via DLP, but it seems to be cheaper to book the train tickets separately.

• A Weather Eye Open

Thanks! I've clearly got to get on these arrangements NOW before prices go up!

I checked out the hotels you mentioned, and the Adagio Aparthotel seemed to be the cheapest! I was surprised, since they come with kitchenettes and for 2 people you get a 2 room suite. We don't actually need the kitchen stuff (would've been nice to have that in dang LONDON where we'll be for 3 full weeks, instead of eating out every day, ack!) or even two rooms, but if it's the cheapest we can find, why not? (For 4 people, I saw a listing for 99E, a fairly good deal it seems, and we're only going one night.)

However, if possible, we'd like to keep it really bare bones. If anyone knows of good hostels that connect by train to Disneyland, please recommend soon!
    Last edited by StrikeYerColors; 11-30-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Fun Fun Fun. Do what I did when I was your age. Tell your loved ones you have a place worked out to stay and go off. Then get to the tourist info booth and tell them you want help getting a room, something CHEAP and metro close. Have fun!!!!

DLP is about an hour from central Paris by RER -so maybe Eurostar to Paris, and stay in a backpacker's hostel in Paris. The RER uses the same DLP station as the Eurostar.

When checking out hotel prices, also check out park admission prices. Our hotel package gave us park tickets virtually for free.

For hostels, try Youth Hostel Association - or Marne-la-Vallee Hotels: Read Marne-la-Vallee Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Don't stay in Marne la Valee, stay in Paris! Even an old dive hotel in the city is more exciting if you're not sunbathing by the pool as a guest at the Sequoia Lodge.

• is satisfactual.

CaliforniaAdventurer's suggestion of staying in Paris is obviously the better one, but I do have a tip that's cheap and comfortable. There's a shared complex in Bussy-St-Georges (on the RER line from Paris to Disneyland, but very close to the latter), housing a Premiere Classe (dirt-cheap but you get your own closet-sized bathroom) and a Campanile (a little more expensive but you get a proper hotel room with all the fixings). I've yet to find that much comfort for a similar price anywhere in the Ile-de-France. The Paris equivalent would involve bunk beds and gruel, the Disney equivalent is of course non-existent. Just a suggestion.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Paris is the sixth land at Disneyland Paris. It's a big playground, one big New Orleans Square full of French people alternating between baking bread and smoking cigarettes on the sidewalk. OK, maybe my view is a little idealized, but it's such an amazing place.

• is satisfactual.

Paris is amazing indeed, but you don't have to spend the night within the city borders. Just because you're being adventurous doesn't mean the continental breakfast has to be an adventure.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

As soon as the nearest bakery opens, you invade and get the baguettes while they're still warm. Put a little butter, preserves or honey on it, drink with cafe or tea... Yum. Breakfast a la francaise.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Fun Fun Fun. Do what I did when I was your age. Tell your loved ones you have a place worked out to stay and go off. Then get to the tourist info booth and tell them you want help getting a room, something CHEAP and metro close. Have fun!!!!
    Well said!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

We found a room with two beds - stairs were for down and elevator went up only - but we had a room with it's own wc (bathroom).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Can't wait for the trip report!