• Membre

Dreamlands at Centre Georges Pompidou

This is a slightly off-topic, but it may interest some Micechatters visiting Paris. From may 5, a new exhibition takes place at the Centre George Pompidou (modern and contemporary museum) called Dreamlands about how world expos and amusement parks inspired creation and developement of cities...

May, 5 2010 - August, 9 2010 (11h00 - 21h00)
    Centre Pompidou - Dreamlands - Art culture musée expositions cinémas conférences débats spectacles concerts

In creating its first theme parks in the early 1950 the Walt Disney Company developed the concept of 'imagineering': unlike the art of the engineer, for which form followed function, this new engineering of the imagination subordinated the architectural programme to a narrative, a story, a fiction. These same techniques have now been applied to the development of entire cities, from Las Vegas to Dubai and Shanghai. These developments testify to an increasing interpenetration of fiction and reality, leading to the contemporary invasion of 'storytelling' on the American model. All of us, everywhere, are now finding this a part of our everyday lives.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Re: Dreamlands at Centre Georges Pompidou

Merci Olivier. I may need to check this out when we are there at the end of the month, though I presume it will all be in French. I am the only one in the family that can read French and the kids get bored of hearing daddy do all the reading.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• mmh... doesn't work...

Re: Dreamlands at Centre Georges Pompidou

I've seen it and I seems to remember there's some explanation in english.

Beware though it's very much a modern art exhibition : there's a very small room about Disneyland (with a video and a few pics), but it's mainly paintings, sculptures and (mostly depressing) photographs around a very very loose theme.

I'm not sure it's very child-friendly. Unless they're into modern art