Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: French language, culture and other nuances

A coupla notes:

--ONut, you sold me. I'm going. To sit, in a restaurant with career waiters? I'm moving to France.

--Italy? A shot and pastry and then leave? That works too. Coffee is my lifeblood. Thanks SusieP.

--Adelade/Froggie-when you see the "Ugly Americans," (not exactly PC, I am aware, but for lack of a better term at this hour of the morning) should a person intervene? You know, step in and, well, maybe not interpret, but, at least, say something, um, I dunno.

I guess, for me, I journey, daily, to another culture. I work in a Deaf school, which has enough minor social mores and denotations that I actually have to sometimes remind myself I'm NOT talking to Deaf people. I think that helps when I encounter those not in a given culture.

Great discussion, btw, perfect for this forum!

Peace,
    Roo

MORE, MORE, MORE!
    Last edited by RooBear; 10-17-2007 at 06:13 AM.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Membre

Very interesting post Olympicnut.
    Regarding the language barrier, I'd recommend any foreign visitor to France to learn at least 4-5 words in french, to say Hello, please, thank you... well, the basics.

Asking something in your own language first can be seen as utterly rude. Just ask: "Bonjour, parlez vous anglais ?", and you'll have no problem.

Another hint : In a french restaurant, when you see free seats, never ever take place without asking the waiter first. And as Olympicnut said before, food is taken very seriously here. In our culture, food is at same level as any other fine art, like painting, sculture, dance, music...
    We have tons of Mc Donald restaurants though.
    Last edited by Olivier; 10-17-2007 at 06:02 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Very interesting post Olympicnut.
    Regarding the language barrier, I'd recommend any foreign visitor to France to learn at least 4-5 words in french, to say Hello, please, thank you... well, the basics.

Asking something in your own language first can be seen as utterly rude. Just ask: "Bonjour, parlez vous anglais ?", and you'll have no problem.

Another hint : In a french restaurant, when you see free seats, never ever take place without asking the waiter first. And as Olympicnut said before, food is taken very seriously here. In our culture, food is at same level as any other fine art, like painting, sculture, dance, music...
    We have tons of Mc Donald restaurants though.
    My family met over decent bread. My side is ethnic (as enumberated repeatedly on these boards, I'm sure) and my partner's side owned a bakery. But because of this (I like to think), food has been the reason why both sides of our family has gotten along. Even in the states, when my family travels, they have been known to drive miles out of the way for a decent meal (sometimes to the brink of homicide, "ah Ma, the front desk is going to close in an hour and it's a two hour drive from here--" for example). And when I hear these statements, I'm ready so ready to go. I believe the food makes the place.

And yes, I'm fully aware the food in Disney Parks is, well, 'iffy' stateside.

But is it in the DLRP? I wouldn't suspect so. But while we're here, I figured I'd ask.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Membre

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post

But is it in the DLRP? I wouldn't suspect so. But while we're here, I figured I'd ask.

Peace,
    Roo
    I'd say that :
    - Counter service restaurants quality is lower than at Mc Donnald's.
    - Buffets are OK.
    - Full service restaurants can be good (Walt's) to very good (California Grill). But you can find better and cheaper restaurants 30 km away in Paris.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    I don't know if this was strictly a DLParis thing or if it happens in other place in France, but when we ordered our lunch combo at the Pinocchio restaurant , it comes with dessert and no drink. So you get a burger, fries and a dessert (mine was a lemon tart). It was wacky! But it was cool.
    No, that isn't normal in Paris (not from my experience). I prefer McDonalds when I stop at DLP, or the Relay store for a few items. I am not too impressed with DLRP food.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Since 2005 they changed their Burgers Quality and their are quite good now .

i also go to Mc Donald's but not Disney Village when i go to Disneyland Paris because this one has no Fried Potatoes and this one is overated . That one at Val d'Europe is quite better and cheaper and you can also take a look at the Shopping Gallery or Shop at Auchan the French Grocery Store .

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I am not too impressed with DLRP food.
    Denise, try Walt's, the Silver Spur, the Steakhouse, the Yacht Club and especially California Grill. These are amongst some of Disney's best culinary offerings and in the case of California Grill, I would say is world class.

We do sometimes go to McDos, but not in DLP, but at Val d-Europe - normally if the resort is heaving.

Sadly DLP has dumbed down a number of their best offerings over the years. The Deli in the village used to be great, now it seems like a Euro sandwich shop anywhere on the continent but at 3 times the price.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Denise, try Walt's, the Silver Spur, the Steakhouse, the Yacht Club and especially California Grill. These are amongst some of Disney's best culinary offerings and in the case of California Grill, I would say is world class.

We do sometimes go to McDos, but not in DLP, but at Val d-Europe - normally if the resort is heaving.

Sadly DLP has dumbed down a number of their best offerings over the years. The Deli in the village used to be great, now it seems like a Euro sandwich shop anywhere on the continent but at 3 times the price.
    Dave -

I've done a number of restaurants (including Walts), I don't have too many complaints about sit-downs. It's the counter service that is expensive and iffy.

I have a restaurant in Paris that I like very much, near the hotel that I prefer to stay at.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Dave -

I've done a number of restaurants (including Walts), I don't have too many complaints about sit-downs. It's the counter service that is expensive and iffy.

I have a restaurant in Paris that I like very much, near the hotel that I prefer to stay at.
    Agreed. DLP has some of the best table service restaurants in the Disney canon. But they have the worst counter service restaurants. The only counter service I will use at DLP are El Fuente Del Oro, Cowboy Cookout or Casey's Corner. All of them in the studios are bad, and they have ruined the New York Deli. Also the service is sooooo slow, it takes nearly as long as a table service.

I feel Epcot, DAK and DL offer some great counter experiences, but overall, I try to only do table service in most Disney parks as the quality is astoundingly different.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Agreed. DLP has some of the best table service restaurants in the Disney canon. But they have the worst counter service restaurants. The only counter service I will use at DLP are El Fuente Del Oro, Cowboy Cookout or Casey's Corner. All of them in the studios are bad, and they have ruined the New York Deli. Also the service is sooooo slow, it takes nearly as long as a table service.

I feel Epcot, DAK and DL offer some great counter experiences, but overall, I try to only do table service in most Disney parks as the quality is astoundingly different.
    Hear hear. I know there's something inherently wrong about advising anyone to go to McDonald's, but if you want a burger at DLP, it's the only sane choice. The table service restaurants however are fine to excellent.

I've said it before, but... The French know their fine dining, but leave the burgers to the Americans.* Even at DLP.

*Which reminds me of a popular French fast food chain called "Quick"... Quick, a bucket!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12