Thread: Versailles

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Versailles

All I can say is, go!

If you happen to make Paris a vacation, make sure you take a day and go to Versailles. It's about 20 or so miles west of the city, so it's about the same distance as DLP (which is east). The train ride out there is 30-40 minutes through quaint French towns. Suburbs of Paris, if you will.

Once at the train station, it's a good 10-15 minute walk to the gates of Versailles. Buy tour tickets, an enjoy.

I love history, so to be there was just awesome for me. The way the royals lived back then astounds me. But what impressed me most were the gardens. And I was there in November when nothing was blooming! I can't imagine them all flowered up!

The grounds of the palace are H-U-G-E. Lots of walking, but it's really fun to just go explore on your own. Make sure you end up at the "away house" (for lack of a better term). It's where the royals lived most of the time, as the palace was more for show.

There's a nice cafe in the palace that had really good food too. Then again, this is France.

If I ever make it back to Paris at a different time of year (i.e. springtime) I'm definitely going back to check out the gardens.

Anyway, if you have a bonus day, may I suggest Versailles? For the history of it, the sheer size of it, and for the beauty of it, it's totally worth it.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Re: Versailles

I have never been but I always wanted to go. Now I want to go even more
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Done and Gone

We went in the winter and while the gardens weren't blooming, the snow falling was very beautiful. I booked the tour as a last minute thing, but it was one of my trips highlights. Just walking up to the entrance is amazing to behold.

Yeah, especially those little cobble stones leading up to the entrance that'll crack your ankles if you're not careful <laugh>
    !Vamos Rafa!

"I Wish for Infinity Hamburgers"-Homer Simpson

• Little Miss Sunshine

I did the Fat Tires bike tour of Versailles - it was really beautiful!!! I have pictures on this page:

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?...d=38&Itemid=68

The only downside of the tour is that we may have only spent 2 1/2 hours at the palace itself. But we bought picnic items at a market, rode through the town, and had a picnic on the opposite bank. I would definitely do it again.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

I went to Paris when I was 15 and spent a day in Versailles. The chateau itself was alright, but the gardens were amazing. The complex fountain system was really awsome. I agree this place is a must see if you visit Paris. Just take the train and go, it's well worth it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I love Versailles!

I made the mistake of wearing sandals when I went a few summers ago (no one in my family warned me for what I was in for). All I can say is, if you go, make sure you wear sneakers!

The place is absolutely beautiful and the gardens are breathtaking. It's rather impossible to see everything in one day; I'd suggest visiting the place a few times within the time you stay in France. I only got to go once, but you can bet that the next time I go to Paris I'm going to see all of Versailles!

While on the topic of France, I've desperately wanted to visit Monet's garden...anyone been there?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

With further talk about Paris and DLRP, I'm beginning to wonder if we should do some kind of tour to France and then see how many MiceChatters we can get to go.

I'm just sayin'. I know it would be good to have friends who have been there before and enjoy some group rates.

Peace out! Au revior!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    While on the topic of France, I've desperately wanted to visit Monet's garden...anyone been there?
    I did the bike tour to Monets Garden also (we took a train to right outside Giverny, had a picnic along the Seine, and then rode through the countryside to the house/gardens).

It is like being in a painting, really!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I did the bike tour to Monets Garden also (we took a train to right outside Giverny, had a picnic along the Seine, and then rode through the countryside to the house/gardens).

It is like being in a painting, really!
    You are so selling me on this.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    You are so selling me on this.

Peace,
    Roo
    We have some pics on this page and the following page:

http://www.neesie.org/main.php?g2_itemId=16&g2_page=8
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I'm honestly thinking we need to make a presentation to Dusty et al about getting a partner site that sponsors tours (maybe we already have one? I'll look here really soon) and see if we can get a group of MiceChatters to go as group.

My partner and I saw your pictures of Versailles and, interestingly enough, it was your pictures of the picnic, not the palace, that had "FRANCE" written all over it. I mean, chocolate merangue and wine on a gilded meadow? C'est si bonne!!!!

We've long planned on going to France and we're tentatively looking at 2010, for my 40th.

Did I say that out loud?

Thanks. The newest post, however, is a log-in, and I'm off to train right now (on the cycles, no less!) but when I come back and I'll take a gander.

And thanks for sharing. France should pay you something for doing your bit for tourism.

Merci beaucoup, mademoiselle, merci beaucoup!

Peace,
    Le Roo

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    My partner and I saw your pictures of Versailles and, interestingly enough, it was your pictures of the picnic, not the palace, that had "FRANCE" written all over it. I mean, chocolate merangue and wine on a gilded meadow? C'est si bonne!!!!

We've long planned on going to France and we're tentatively looking at 2010, for my 40th.
    The picnic was wonderful. And I think a picnic under the Eiffel Tower as the sun goes down is better than being on the Eiffel Tower (though that is really nice as well!)

I probably wouldn't do a group tour, I like to make my own plans - but I do like day tours. Like when we go to London, it's fun to take a tour out to Stonehenge, or Portsmouth. And in Paris, with Fat Tires. It allows a bit of time with tourists, but not the whole trip. Plus, most of the trip, I'm at my own pace. I would like also to get to the Loire Valley and South of France, more of the Britanny area...it's just a great country. I'm pretty familiar with Paris now.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

This thread is really making me want to go back to Paris! I last went on a big European vacation in summer '06. We did Paris and DLP, but I'm sorry to say that we didn't get to Versailles. I'm definitely not going to miss it on my next trip. And the bike tours sound GREAT!! Thanks for sharing all the info everyone!
    --Jonathan

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    This thread is really making me want to go back to Paris! I last went on a big European vacation in summer '06. We did Paris and DLP, but I'm sorry to say that we didn't get to Versailles. I'm definitely not going to miss it on my next trip. And the bike tours sound GREAT!! Thanks for sharing all the info everyone!
    I always want to go back to Paris.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.