Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Proud US Navy Wife

Pin collecting.. Where to begin?

Ok so I know theres a thread about the scary stands of people with millions of pins.. but I wanted to start a family tradition with my son and fiance. I know there are starter sets.. but are they worth it? Also, how do you approach a CM for trading? (I tend to be people shy and my son is only going to be 2 months.. He cant talk yet but I really want to start his collection with his first visit.. So if he is with us.. Would it seem odd?)

• mountains beyond mtns.

Re: Pin collecting.. Where to begin?

First off, let me direct you to this thread - Pin Trading and Buying Chit Chat!

Now to answer some of your questions - The starter sets are worth it, IMO. More so the boxes of 6-7 pins that sell for 29.95 than the booster sets that sell for 22.95 now.

Basically you want to buy pins that you and your son enjoy while at the same time building up a collection of pins that you don't mind trading away. It's very easy to approach a CM, just tell them something like "hi, may I take a look at your pins?". Generally you don't want to ask them if it looks like they're hurrying somewhere. They might be late getting somewhere and so you don't want to inconvenience them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Brand pretty much hit the nail on the head. Just buy what you like, and especially with the starter sets, some come with more than one of the same pin, so if you like the pin, you can trade and still keep one for yourself.

Also, pin trading is something that shouldn't be stressful. Just ask politely if you could look at their pins, and try not to ask someone who looks busy and in the middle of a task. I think if you talk to CMs about the reasoning with your son, they will be more than understanding. I think it's a great tradition to do!

Hope you have fun, and welcome to the insanity!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

If a CM is wearing a lanyard, they are expecting people to ask to see their pins
    I always say, "Excuse me, can I see your pins?" and they'll hold out their lanyard (or pin square) out for you to look at.

If you see one you want to trade, point to it and ask if you can trade. The CM will most likely take the pin off and put it in their palm for you to take, at the same time you put your pin in their palm. Sometimes they just hand it to you and you exchange that way.

If you don't see you want, just say "Thank you" and walk away.

Once you start doing it, you'll find out how much fun it is and you nervousness will disappear whenever you spy a lanyard
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• future rockstar/imagineer

i think its a great idea to start your son with pin trading now! it will be something that he will always be able to enjoy! and i do recommend getting a starter set because it will be cheaper and you can always trade the pins that it comes with to get some that you really want. and it also might be fun to buy some pins of his first attractions and stuff like that!

• Banned User

I am brand new to it as well and I started with a friend giving me a few traders, and, us going to DL in June.....and trading with CM's for just what caught my eye. I haven't bought any sets yet, but, just whatever catches my eye. I have a favorite characters (mostly from Pinocchio) that I collect, so, I look for those. I also love attraction pins, so, I gravitate toward those too.

Mostly, for me, the excitement of what I can get for my inexpensive pins that I bought on Ebay .... in trade when I go to DL in Nov/Dec is the most fun yet! (And, I've also bought keepers on Ebay as well as the ones to trade!)

• mountains beyond mtns.

This would apply to I Heart Disneyland and anyone else, Dizpins.com might be a site that you may be interested in joining. I've actually done more trades through there than anywhere else.

Kittiekyo, since there literally are sooooooooooooo many pins to choose from, most collectors tend to pick just a "theme" or two that they stick to. From what I've seen, Stitch, Haunted Mansion, Jessica Rabbit, Tinkerbell, Pirates tend to be among the more popular themes. I've picked up Stitch and HM pins solely for the purpose of trading and was able to get great pins that I liked in exchange.

As for me, I collect Wall-E and to a lesser extent Cars and Star Wars along with random attraction pins.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    This would apply to I Heart Disneyland and anyone else, Dizpins.com might be a site that you may be interested in joining. I've actually done more trades through there than anywhere else.

As for me, I collect Wall-E and to a lesser extent Cars and Star Wars along with random attraction pins.
    Great to know!! Thanks so much. I have specifics that I want too and would be willing to trade some that I've collected to get those.

• Proud US Navy Wife

For my son, I wanted to start him with the basic Mickey Mouse and his first attractions...for me.. I am a huge TNBC and Tink fan. But.. My man can't pick anything he wants.. hes a bit.. nervous about wearing pins.. He thinks he will be turned into a geek.. Any way I can try and convince him he already is a geek? :P

• mountains beyond mtns.

Wearing pins???? While I don't speak for all pin collectors, my pins are stored in a binder, never worn.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wearing pins???? While I don't speak for all pin collectors, my pins are stored in a binder, never worn.

what! that's like never opening your toys!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    what! that's like never opening your toys!
    lol! I actually open the vast majority of my toys. I'm even contemplating opening up Movie Masters Joker and the Chase Stickers Lightning McQueen.

Know what? I don't even own a pin lanyard!!! So therefore I cannot wear them.

• E T1CK3T

I'm with you there. I frame mine in shadowboxes. I don't own a lanyard either. My little brother does, but he never wears it. He has a binder, too.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I don't win my pins either! I'd be too scared to lose one, and I'm afraid it'd be heavy! And look too obsessive! LOL
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Too far from Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by Kittiekyo View Post
    For my son, I wanted to start him with the basic Mickey Mouse and his first attractions...for me.. I am a huge TNBC and Tink fan. But.. My man can't pick anything he wants.. hes a bit.. nervous about wearing pins.. He thinks he will be turned into a geek.. Any way I can try and convince him he already is a geek? :P
    You can do what my boyfriend and I do: We got identical blue lanyard starter sets and kept the best Donald pin of the two and traded the rest for Donald pins (I collect Donald and the Disney Ducks). He trades for what I need for my collection. He doesn't mind wearing the lanyard (but he knows hes a geek ). Then if your man doesn't want to collect, he can help you collect for you and your little one.

My boyfriend is the one that got me started in this pin trading stuff actually. He has almost as much fun as I do with it. I blame him for this insanity cause in a year I've collected about 250 pins! We bought trades on ebay for cheap (I've had really good luck with the $1.80/$1.84 a pin lots).

I keep my Ducks on a cork board and wear one a day at work on my lanyard for there. I figure if I'm going to have all these things hanging around I might as well get some use out of them! That probably breaks all good pin collectors rules though. I'm sure I'm going to have to get a pin book soon as I'm running out of room on my two corkboards.

All the CM's are really nice so don't feel nervous about asking to see a pin. Just remember: they can't tell you no!
    Last edited by FantasticDuck; 09-26-2008 at 06:36 PM.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast