Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PINS: Worth It?

• RCMC BlackSmith

Question PINS: Worth It?

I think we are planning to go back to WDW in about a year or less. When we go back I was thinking of starting collecting and trading pins. Is it worth the money and is it fun? I think it would be I'm just not really sure. Thanks!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• My liver hurts!

Re: PINS: Worth It?

I started collecting pins last year. It's fun for me because I get to interact with CMs and I love collecting different pins. Although it does get expensive I just buy them whenever my budget allows.
    Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post
    Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

• Banned User

I started to collect last June and I think it's a blast. It's less expensive than some other stuff, though I suspect that I can never get my money back out of it, it's still a lot of fun for me.

• World Traveler

I believe it is. I get inexpensive pins on ebay and trade them for ones I like at the parks. I also sometimes purchase pins which remind me of the individial visits.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I believe it is. I get inexpensive pins on ebay and trade them for ones I like at the parks. I also sometimes purchase pins which remind me of the individial visits.
    Same here. I buy them cheap on Ebay to trade at the parks for ones that I want to collect, etc. And, I do have a lot that I've bought because I wanted to collect them. I mostly collect attractions pins. (Which are not that easy to come by at the park on lanyards of CMs.)

• Minion

Ebay is definitely the way to start out, if you plan to play the trading game. I have a lanyard's worth of attraction pins that I like, but I don't feel like I need to collect every limited edition that comes along.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

how much are pins anyways?
    i may start the trading someday

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    That would depend upon if you are bargain hunting on Ebay or shopping at the park. The park, I'd say the lowest I've seen is $6.95 or so and they go up from there. I've paid $15.00 for diorama pins which are really cool. There are sets you can buy for more, etc.

• Im the fun mommy :)

we have many pins but do not collect, I find them in thrift shops and or ebay and then trade them in the parks. Im not a collector, there to expensive for me. just get them for my kids to trade they enjoy that.
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

my kids are collecting pins too when we go to WDW they have met friends and its so much fun to watch..
    just do what you think...

I definitely think it is fun to collect and trade pins. I trade only with CM, mostly because I am too darn shy to go up to a stranger and trade with them, and also I don't normally have a stock of pins to trade so I only buy what I know I want.

It's a fun hobby, though. A friend of mine is a CM and helps me find some pins when I can't get down to Disney World, which is really coo, and I love to look at people's collections on line or look for that hard to find pin I want while on vacation.

So, yeah, it is worth it if you get enjoyment out of it. I hope you like it if you give it a try.

• Budding Pin Trader

About 30 min. away from Disneyland, California

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    It really does depend.
    If you get then off eBay, they are really cheap
    I'm not sure about WDW, but at DLR, if you buy them in park, it depends on what color the pin has (the prices are listed with colors).
    The pins vary from Green (the cheapest at only $6.95) to Lavender (The most expensive at about $23.95)
    "Wow, time flies when you're obsessively looking at pins."

• Shablagoo!

Be very careful about pins bought on ebay. There are lots of dealers who sell cheap "fake" pins. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

What are you looking to get out of it? For me, I'm not a serious hardcore collector/trader - I mainly collect and trade for pins I like, specifically those of Stitch and Maleficent (preferably in her dragon form when I can find it). It isn't a cheap hobby thats for sure, but if you're getting pins you like and enjoy trading with others for ones you want, then I would say its worth it =)

I agree - pin collecting can get expensive - but half of my extended family collects them. The fun part is that each of us has different interests in terms of what type of pin we collect. I like the attraction pins, particularly the ones they came out with a couple of years ago that are nostalgic of the opening of Disney World (old WDW logos for example) and the cast lanyard pins are great - the problem is that the pins that are acutally on the cast lanyards in the parks aren't that great. Once in a while, I see one that I'd really like to have, but a lot of them are the ones they had to accept for a trade. I have to get those on Ebay and then I don't want to trade them. If you manage to get your hands on some rare ones - make sure you buy the bolts for the back so they don't fall off as you're walking around and doing the rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast