Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Too far from Disney World

Price tag difference between WDW and DLR?

I've never been to DLR, only WDW, and I have a question on the price tags. I

n the last week I've received 2 pins from DLR and the price tags don't have actual prices on them, but have colors on the top of the price tag above the bar codde (I've received a yellow and red tag). The pins I've bought at WDW had actual prices on them. One pin was a gift and one I purchased on ebay. What do the colors mean? Are they just price categories?
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Price tag difference between WDW and DLR?

The colors are price categories, as you thought. I also think WDW has started doing this too, but I can't remember. I'll find out in a few weeks though!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• I live for Indy Rides

Yeah, Disneyland does color coding for their pins. I bought Kimmehface a lavender stauts pin (the most expensive pin) last time we were at DLR.

• Budding Pin Trader

About 30 min. away from Disneyland, California

Cool Re: Price tag difference between WDW and DLR?

That is just how DLR does prices. They usually have price-colour guides on the display, so people don't get confused (like I did the first time I bought a pin).
    LOL, yes, CourtneyDax bought me a lavender pin. It's an awesome pin. It was really expensive, but lavender pins are the coolest.
    "Wow, time flies when you're obsessively looking at pins."

My friend was at WDW a couple of weeks ago and I had her pick me up some pins. They all had the colour-coded prices on them so they must have changed over systems recently. When I was there last September, the pins still had actual prices.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

yes, they've switched over to the color-coded. I believe WDW will be doing the same if they haven't already.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I'm almost positive they were color coded the last time I was there in October, but not 100%.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Too far from Disney World

We were at WDW the 2nd week of September last year and they still had prices on them. Thanks so much for the answers everyone!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

I was just in WDW in May - they have switched to the color coding system. It's OK - I'm not sure what their point was in doing that - unless it's more for inventory control. I don't remember which pricepoint goes with which color - maybe that's the point. I wonder if the prices are higher at one park, as opposed to another. I emailed the Walt Disney Park merchandise order line about a specific pin a few months back (I saw it on one of those overpriced on-line park merchandise stores) and they were able to quote me the exact price.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yeah.. it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either... It seems like it'd be confusing to the consumer.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• mountains beyond mtns.

Of course it's more confusing to read a price listing on the back than it is to see a color code and then have to look at the guide to determine the price!

Good thing there is no "did you find this post helpful" feature in this section otherwise I would've gotten a 0 out of 44 for that one.

All I know is that ever since the change at DLR, there have been fewer and fewer 6.95 pins being released, seemingly, while more and more pin-on-pins, especially for open editions. Now it's not uncommon to see open editions cost just as much as LE's.

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Of course it's more confusing to read a price listing on the back than it is to see a color code and then have to look at the guide to determine the price!

Good thing there is no "did you find this post helpful" feature in this section otherwise I would've gotten a 0 out of 44 for that one.

All I know is that ever since the change at DLR, there have been fewer and fewer 6.95 pins being released, seemingly, while more and more pin-on-pins, especially for open editions. Now it's not uncommon to see open editions cost just as much as LE's.
    That is exactly what my friend said. When she was at WDW in May, she wanted to buy a $6.95 pin to trade with a CM in one of the stores. Unfortunately, these pins were far and few between. I think she actually ended up picking an $8.95 one just to speed up the process. I find that the prices of the pins in the parks to be a little expensive especially compared with the pins from the DSF IMO). DSF pins are usually large, well-detailed and LE of 300. You would never find an LE of 300 for $8.95 in the parks (like the UP pin release at DSF recently). At least I have not.

• Wilderness Explorer

I always assumed that they changed to the color pricing system to make changing prices (rasing prices) easier. This way they only have to change one placard rather than each individual pin. I also have noticed that pin prices seem to have gone up roughly 2 dollars since last December (2008). For example, it seems like what was previously a $8.95 pin is now a $10.95 pin.

Also...research has proven that when you can delay the customer from learning the actual price for a bit (allowing them to form an emotional bond with the item), they are more likely to buy it in spite of the sticker shock. (Didn't Kevin Yee discuss this during his most recent article?)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by pirate_tim View Post
    I always assumed that they changed to the color pricing system to make changing prices (rasing prices) easier. This way they only have to change one placard rather than each individual pin. I also have noticed that pin prices seem to have gone up roughly 2 dollars since last December (2008). For example, it seems like what was previously a $8.95 pin is now a $10.95 pin.

Also...research has proven that when you can delay the customer from learning the actual price for a bit (allowing them to form an emotional bond with the item), they are more likely to buy it in spite of the sticker shock. (Didn't Kevin Yee discuss this during his most recent article?)

Just what I was about to say. It's all about them increasing prices by just programming the colors to mean a certain thing and they wont' need to retag anything.

It also means that people might be fooled into not checking the price and buying it anyway.

The higher priced pins and packs and lanyards still have regular price tags though.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The higher priced pins and packs and lanyards still have regular price tags though.
    Interesting note, Coheteboy. It's funny that the higher priced items are labeled with numerical price while the lower priced items have the color coding. I'd think there'd be a greater sticker shock with high priced items. Then again, perhaps people will put up with an item being $2 more than they were expecting and still buy it, but will put back an item that is $10 more than they were expecting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast