View Poll Results: Should Disney discontinue Pin Trading for good??

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, most definitely and pin traders should get a life.

10 15.38%
  • No, simply because pin trading is some people's life and Disney's rice and beans.

37 56.92%
  • I don't care either way. Does not hurt me if it did or not.

18 27.69%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Pull the plug on Pin Trading??

My biggest issue is the big azz hat at the Studios park... it's just a glorified pin store!

• Life Long Disney Fan

It certainly is.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    Good thing OLC got rid of pin trading in Tokyo! Gosh Tokyo rocks and WDW sucks

Is that what you wanted us to say? Cause it sure seems like it.

I've seen a little girl too shy to ask a CM about her pins at DAK and the CM took the initiative and showed the little girl her pins and they traded. She went away smiling and it was pretty awesome to experience that. So, boiling pin trading down to money and pin crazed adults doesn't seem logicial. I've seen dozens upon dozens of kids wearing pin necklace things my last trip- way more kids than adults too- and I went all over WDW resort my last trip.
    I thought the pins came back to TDL.

• Nerd

I've traded a couple of pins, not much really because I don't have time, but everyone who trades (no CM's) has always been really nice and given me what I thought was more than I was bargaining for, so I can't say I have any negative impressions...as far as CM's trading, it looks more like its about kids and my kids like to do it. We don't spend much on pins but get plenty of pleasure out of it.

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMoose View Post

I have no idea. TDL fan said they banned them, which they did. I'm not sure of their current status though.

My biggest issue is the big azz hat at the Studios park... it's just a glorified pin store!
    It won't be there for longgggggggg

one hundred and one

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMoose View Post
    Read my initial post again. They are selling pins at TDR...and some are recycled from the overstock at the US parks, and some are very unique to TDR, but there is NO pin trading at TDR allowed, and CMs do not wear lanyards. They even have posted signs in areas where pins are sold reminding guests that "Pin Trading is not permitted at TDR".

• Occasional Reader

Show me an adult that didn't collect something as a child .... trading cards, erasers, dolls, pirates, soap, etc, etc...

Company sells things to make money, disney do things better than the competition, I like how they sell you 2 so you can trade one away, fantastic. Why not buy one and then buy another different one, same net result.

Personally pin trading does absolutely nothing for me, but who am I to stop children enjoying it, because I don't like the way it makes the park/cast look.

Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Another trip down I-4

While I don't care for the lanyard looks (it reminds me of office buildings where everyone needs a badge - I go to Disney to escape that), it doesn't detract from my specific experience. More than likely, eventually it'll die a natural death and the pin stores will fade away.

I think part of the attraction for adults is ride or character specificity - now that just about every store sells the same plushes and shirts, the only place you can get that keepsake related to your favorite attraction is on a pin.

• Too far from Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post

I think part of the attraction for adults is ride or character specificity - now that just about every store sells the same plushes and shirts, the only place you can get that keepsake related to your favorite attraction is on a pin.
    That's what it is for me. Donald and Si & Am. Yes, there is some Donald stuff, but nowhere near the variety of figures, plushes and the like. The pins offer a great variety in the Donald area.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    So, what is your arguement for getting rid of Pin Trading?

Not all cast members wear lanyards for pin trading. Some pin traders are fanatics, but it's a very small number.

Pins fill a certain niche for Disney collectors. The size of pins are convenient for travelers, who don't have much luggage space, or room at home for larger collectables. Pins are the merchandise that have collectability for nearly every sort of WDW, DL, Disney collector, as Disney can offer the widest variety of items that offer something for nearly every attraction, anniversary, character, holiday, parade, show, or other event. Pins also are one of the very few things left that offer that souvenier which is specific to that particular park, and usually doesn't carry the assinine generic "Disney Parks" logo.
    Totally agree. They're my favorite souvenir at the moment for these reasons. Not that Disney shouldn't do a better job on their other merchandise, but I digress...

You can also take advantage of outlet stores. Prior to my last trip I bought packages of High School Musical pins, for something like $2 for four pins. Took those to Disneyland, and traded for some very inexpensive souvenirs.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• we jumped out a window

I take it that this thread was moved into the Pin Trading section from somewhere else?

I voted "no" but do not really like the way that option was worded.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I take it that this thread was moved into the Pin Trading section from somewhere else?

I voted "no" but do not really like the way that option was worded.
    Ah, yes, I probably should have posted a note. it was in the WDW forum originally but since it is about pin trading in general, I moved it here!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    I actually don't mind the CM interaction that much, but the pin trading overall is become complete overkill...the trading areas out in the middle of the parks, the people (sharks?) who sit there with huge books of them and are allowed by Disney to be there.

Plus there's just an incredible amount of pins...how many tens of thousands of kinds have been made so far? And they're probably 95% profit for the ones they sell.
    Aaahhh yes. The old men who sit in front of the store in frontierland or at the exit of Buzz Lightyear. Some even dress like they work there and have name tags. To me it seems like they won't even trade either. It is just to show how many pins they have. I won't let my kids near them. I think to myself "Old man hanging out at DL with items to lure kids to me".
    Seems strange.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I think the pins are overpriced, but it is neat to see some of the unique ones they have, my daughter loves stitch so she was so excited to get 4 of them last trip we went down! I say, let it go as it is, when people tire of it, profits will drop and they will think of another idea to make money.
    Yaye!

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Aaahhh yes. The old men who sit in front of the store in frontierland or at the exit of Buzz Lightyear. Some even dress like they work there and have name tags. To me it seems like they won't even trade either. It is just to show how many pins they have. I won't let my kids near them. I think to myself "Old man hanging out at DL with items to lure kids to me".
    Seems strange.
    Just to be fair, there are equal numbers, if not more, of women, both older and younger as well as younger males that set up shop around the trading areas.

While I'm going to extend the benefit of a doubt to those "older men" that you mentioned and not speculate on any ulterior motives, it tends to be rather difficult to trade with them. But then again, that goes for just about all of the "regular" pin traders that set up shop as they're looking for lopsided trades in their favor.

Also with regards to that Frontierland pin trading area, I usually see security around there and there are two CM's that bring out trading books on weekend afternoons so one would be foolhardy as to try to attempt anything inappropriate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast