View Poll Results: Should Disney discontinue Pin Trading for good??

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, most definitely and pin traders should get a life.

10 15.38%
  • No, simply because pin trading is some people's life and Disney's rice and beans.

37 56.92%
  • I don't care either way. Does not hurt me if it did or not.

18 27.69%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Pull the plug on Pin Trading??

I do love pins and buy the most unique ones when I can, but I have to agree with the OP about how tacky they make the cast members look. I miss the polished costumed look so absent now - between the lanyards, the cast member IDs hanging from the waist, and - worst of all - the cast members who wear their costumes all around Orange County before/after work...it's really deteriorized the whole "Disney Look".
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

I don't think they should necessarily pull the plug on pin trading. I think they should scale it back a bit. Instead of pin trading nights every month, how about one ginormous pin event every year? Make the pin trading a little more special.

Too many times have I seen the same traders being sharks (buying pins then selling them on ebay or offering a trade for two pins each.) Let everyone have a chance. Limit the special pins to one per person.

And yeah, some of them need to get a life. Pin trading can be fun, but when you get up at 4am to get to a theme park to get a special limited edition pin, you may be out of your head a little. Move out from your mother's basement.
    Monster please! Arghh! Thank You!

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh dear Aimster! Please do not hurt yourself due to others' addiction!!!
    If people want keep wasting own money, so be it!
    I do think very must addiction and crazy what they paid for them thing!
    pure money in Disney Pocket
    I just ask when have a group thing ,do it outside of the parks out of the way of others........
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by mickola View Post
    I don't think they should necessarily pull the plug on pin trading. I think they should scale it back a bit. Instead of pin trading nights every month, how about one ginormous pin event every year? Make the pin trading a little more special.

Too many times have I seen the same traders being sharks (buying pins then selling them on ebay or offering a trade for two pins each.) Let everyone have a chance. Limit the special pins to one per person.

And yeah, some of them need to get a life. Pin trading can be fun, but when you get up at 4am to get to a theme park to get a special limited edition pin, you may be out of your head a little. Move out from your mother's basement.
    But those pins have pieces of Pirates of the Caribbean, Sleeping Beauty Castle and Jungle Cruise inside of them!

If only I were free on Sundays, I'd go and line up too!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I find the argument against pin trading unpersuasive. While some pin traders are pitiable, if you aren't into it, the pins sales and pin traders are easy to ignore. Collecting pins can be fun, especially if you aren't too into it, and the CM interaction is really great for families with young kids.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

I really like to collect pins and i have a rather large collection now..but i like them so much im really not interested in trading. I never wear my lanyard when i got to the parks since i dont wanna be rude and say "no" if im asked to trade. I consider them a very pretty (and expensive sometimes) souvenir that have a special meaning to me so i dont like the idea of giving them away. My vote is to keep pin trading at the parks because i will continue getting some more every time i visit!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I find the argument against pin trading unpersuasive. While some pin traders are pitiable, if you aren't into it, the pins sales and pin traders are easy to ignore. Collecting pins can be fun, especially if you aren't too into it, and the CM interaction is really great for families with young kids.
    Exactly. Its like many other things in life that you do have a choice over. Don't like it? Cool, don't buy pins and try to trade them. I collect pins, ones I think are neat looking, but I completely ignore and walk past the traders that are set up in the parks. They enjoy their day, and I still enjoy mine.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I enjoy collecting pins and I also enjoy trading pins. I have never been to DLR so I cannot comment on the pin trading there but when at WDW (which is at least once a year), I trade pins with the CMs only. I do not search out the traders in DTD or the ones set up in Epcot. I think that is is a wonderful way to interact with people from all over the world. Also, I am not out to get super rare or expensive pins off of the lanyards - it is like a scavenger hunt for me. I agree with penguinsoda - you can ignore all aspects of pins/trading if that is not something you are into.

Pin trading has also allowed me to make great new friends - some from this board.

Quote Originally Posted by mickola View Post

I like the fact that pin trading is available with the CMs all year long. As someone who likes to go in September, I am unable to make it in June to the Pin Trading event at WDW. So I would be out of luck for trading.

Also, for some collectors, there is fun in lining up, meeting old friends and pin trading in line. There are some releases that I would have waited in line for if I had lived closer to the park - and no, I do not live in my mother's basement.

• die hard disney fan !!

Upland,ca moving to the magical kingdom next year

im not a trader but more of a collector
    i buy the pinsthat i like so why would i trade ?
    ~the lowcarb sensation~

i've bought a couple of pins i thought were cool, but nothing extreme.

i only have issues with the people who DEMAND that you trade with them. this happened to me about a month ago. This family of 4 were yelling for the one pin i was wearing. my gf and i just walked off, laughing a little as the nearby cast member tried to get them to calm down.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Once upon a dream

Quote Originally Posted by disneydiva21 View Post
    im not a trader but more of a collector
    i buy the pinsthat i like so why would i trade ?

SAME HERE!

Except If I get a double of a pin like a Mickey Monorail one Ill trade a CM for another I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    i've bought a couple of pins i thought were cool, but nothing extreme.

i only have issues with the people who DEMAND that you trade with them. this happened to me about a month ago. This family of 4 were yelling for the one pin i was wearing. my gf and i just walked off, laughing a little as the nearby cast member tried to get them to calm down.
    lol too funny. Yeah I dont want them to stop It is so fun to collect them

~babs

• Shifting cargo

I couldn't bear the thought of no more pin trading! They're the first things that I look for when shopping at DL, DCA, or DTD. They make my trip! Even though I don't always trade them, it's fun Disney merchandise to wear and people to stare jealously at.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Everyone knows that Disney has capitalized on the Pin craze for the past 10 years now. It's been a bonanza of money for the company and a source of frustration, business gain and bankrupcy for some fanatics of this pin collecting hobby. And while Disney may argue that the real point of Pin Trading is for guests and CMs to be able to interact, many of us agree that the bottom line is about how much money they can squeeze out of the many people who may enjoy getting caught in this little "activity". Me for one.. I much rather see a CM do something extraordinary for an unsuspecting guest than to see a 'forced' and carefully staged interaction by the feeble excuse of trading a pin... which again is staged to get people caught up in pin collecting and spend more money on that. Now of course, this is not to just pinpoint WDW's saturation with pin trading because ALL of the other Disney resorts are as guilty of doing Pin Trading as well. Except Tokyo, where the good folks of OLC saw thru this and deemed it an unnecesary hazzard and banned it from the property, banning CMs from wearing unsightly pin lanyards and returning their constumed Disney look to pristine form. I too would love to see all of the other Disney resorts go back to that standard. Of course, TDR still sells pins, and very nice ones at that mind you, but at least, we don't have to put up with pin trading and ugly pin kiosks like that one grazing CommuniCORE Plaza at EPCOT Center.

So I ask of you.. should Disney pull the plug on Pin Trading?

Simple answer NO. UK have just launched Pin Trading and everyone is excited about it. Even if Disney are making bundles from it, so what! you don't have to buy them.
    As for the unsightly kiosks or CM's wearing lanyards, I don't see anything wrong with this, I and thousands more guests enjoy the interaction with the CM's.
    As a veteran collector/trader it makes my time at the parks enjoyable.

Lindsay UK Pin Trader
    http://dzny-pins-uk.webs.com/

I DO NOT!!! Think that they should pull the plug on Pin trading. Pin trading is a fun way to not only interact with CMs, but to get small souvenirs with your favorite characters, or something that could remind you of a special memory. There are pins for everyone...and there are styles of pin trading for everyone. There are the people that have to have as many pins as they can, and make money from them. Then there are the people like me, who trade casually and collect the ones that they like. Both types of pin traders enjoy it, even if it is putting money in disney's pocket. Heck. going to a disney theme park is putting bundles and bundles of cash in Disney's pocket.

Also, yes, the CMs are basically forced to trade with you, but that doesn't mean it's "I'll trade you that pin there for this one." "ok" "bye". There have been countless times that I have traded with CMs and got into long conversations with them, discussing anything from the history of something to do with the pin, to the attraction we're standing near, to how they got their job. It really is a lot of fun.

I think Pin Trading needs to stay around for a long time. The people that do it enjoy it. The interaction with CMs is priceless, and I feel it's worth "dumping money in disney's pockets"/

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I say end it. Not because anyone needs to "get a life", but because soon they'll be calling it "Scrapper Trading" since just about 90% of CM Lanyard Hidden Mickey and Lanyard pins are scrappers. CM's do nothing to stop this. I've witnessed it first hand. Eventually something will give.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast