View Poll Results: Should Disney discontinue Pin Trading for good??

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, most definitely and pin traders should get a life.

10 15.38%
  • No, simply because pin trading is some people's life and Disney's rice and beans.

37 56.92%
  • I don't care either way. Does not hurt me if it did or not.

18 27.69%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Pull the plug on Pin Trading??

Why end it?
    If you don't like it, don't get involved.

Lindsay UK Pin Trader
    http://dzny-pins-uk.webs.com/

• Shablagoo!

I think she is suggesting to end it given that most of the CM lanyards are full of scrappers. Let's face it, the main reason so many scrappers are in circulation is because of the lanyard trading. People buy them cheap on ebay and then trade them onto the lanyards, leaving nothing of value.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I think she is suggesting to end it given that most of the CM lanyards are full of scrappers. Let's face it, the main reason so many scrappers are in circulation is because of the lanyard trading. People buy them cheap on ebay and then trade them onto the lanyards, leaving nothing of value.
    Thank you Mellonballer. I know I for one am so sick and tired of seeing scrapper after scrapper on CM lanyards and they do nothing about it. I've even seen a person before me trade an obvious scrapper and the CM takes it and when I point out the one they just received is a fake they say...and I quote "we get that alot...."

Pin trading has just turned into money makers for the bad guy. And that's my opinion. Will I still do it...yeah. Mainly because my son loves interacting with the CM's. Did I ever say I didn't like it...nope. I said to end it for reasons I stated above. It used to be a great hobby back in 05, 06, but now..its just a money maker for the wrong persons.

I actually really enjoy pin trading. I don't spend TONS of money on it but I always have pins everytime we go. It might start forced conversations with CM's but, for me anyway, it has also started really nice talks with other guest while in lines. I'm one of those people that enjoy the added "games" with Disney. I trade pins and search for Hidden Mickeys.. Maybe I'm strange but I do like it.
    *Under Construction...*

• Banned User

thats what they should do with the innoventions building: all of the pin trading/purchasing centers be housed there.

the attractions/stores/restaurants/facilities that currently have the pin racks would then be remagineered. like for instance the shop in new orleans square that is now a pin trading location, remagineer it to be what it used to be a mask/costume/souvenir shop. the porch of the plaza inn when the inn is not open? use it for what it is intended *slaps forehead* A PORCH!!!!!!!! actually sarcasm aside, it is a photo opportunity. believe it or not, I dont just walk past the buildings while I am at the resort. I am actually kind of a shutterbug.

the shop in main street, what used to be new century time pieces now is foruosity shop, the annex to the right if you are facing the door back out to main street, put it back to the way it was, selling unique souveniers.

any other location that the pin racks would be relocated, dont just water down the souvenir selection with what is already out there but unique original, souvenir choices like there used to be.

dont get me wrong, I am a pin collector, BUT in EVERY SHOP???????? did pressler/harris/eisner ever leave or are they still working at disneyland?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

And I have seen CMs and leads in both WDW and DL care about the scrappers.
    It seems like Disney as a company doesn't care since they don;t appear to be doing much to stop the production of these pins.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Circle of Ancients

Last time we were at DL, the Pin Traders were taking over the ENTIRE Frontierland entrance where the Pin Trading station is. I don't mind them trading, but they should do it out of the way from everybody else.

When I walked by I said "Why don't you take up the ENTIRE walkway next time". I thought they were going to stab me with their pins.

• we jumped out a window

^sir clinksalot, did one of them look like Rousseau from Lost?

• Wishing upon a star....

My husband and I love pin trading and we love wearing our lanyards. We don't care that it makes us look a bit dorky. We don't spend too much on them but we do treat ourselves every once in awhile. We do like to trade with CMs but we are always polite and wait our turn. We have some great conversations with CMs because of pins. We stay far away from those people with the books and we have never had someone ask us or pressure us to trade. We just interact with the CMs,when it comes to trading. It makes me sad that scrappers are out there but we try not to worry about it too much. If we like the pin, we are happy to have it and add it to our collection at home. We don't live locally, so going through our pins is a great way to remember our last trip or to get excited for an upcoming trip.

• Awaken the spirits

I love pin trading. So far I think I've received two scrappers, and at first I was upset about it but I decided that I like the pin and I had fun trading and interacting with the CMs so it's no big deal (even if it sucks that I spent a bunch of money on pins and got scrapper in return).

One thing I've noticed though is how differently some CMs treat me if I have my lanyard. Are a lot of pin traders rude? The first time I noticed was in a pin store in NOS the CM saw me and moved his lanyard out of sight. I bought a 55th anniversary pin and got talking to him about pin trading and asked if I could please see his lanyard. He seemed startled for a second and then said "...wow. I'm really impressed, you said please! Since you asked so politely, I'll show you my pins. Most pin traders just demand pins, I'm glad to see some polite pin traders still exist!"

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Madame_Leota View Post
    I love pin trading. So far I think I've received two scrappers, and at first I was upset about it but I decided that I like the pin and I had fun trading and interacting with the CMs so it's no big deal (even if it sucks that I spent a bunch of money on pins and got scrapper in return).

One thing I've noticed though is how differently some CMs treat me if I have my lanyard. Are a lot of pin traders rude? The first time I noticed was in a pin store in NOS the CM saw me and moved his lanyard out of sight. I bought a 55th anniversary pin and got talking to him about pin trading and asked if I could please see his lanyard. He seemed startled for a second and then said "...wow. I'm really impressed, you said please! Since you asked so politely, I'll show you my pins. Most pin traders just demand pins, I'm glad to see some polite pin traders still exist!"
    Hmmm I wanna say...he was joking? Because all the CM's who I pin trade with were never rude in the slightest. But I always say please and thank you when I trade and have taught my son to do so as well. So maybe just the general populous is rude to CM's..which isn't surprising really.

• Awaken the spirits

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    So maybe just the general populous is rude to CM's..which isn't surprising really.
    It's always so weird for me to think of being rude, selfish, demanding, etc. etc., but then I see people acting rude on a daily basis and I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I can't really judge them though, because I don't know what their life is like to make them that way.

I personally love pin trading. I've only ever done it on one trip, but I enjoyed being able to start up a conversation with not only the CMs, but also other guests in line or around the park. Pins can sometimes start a conversation with a complete stranger, and I like that.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yes, many of the hardcore pin traders are rude and demanding. And many of them wear lanyards, so I can see how you could have been mistaken for one based on looks I stay very far away from them... they creep me out, and I know I don't have any pins they would want anyway!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Mortals pay a token fee.

I've stopped wearing my lanyard mostly for that reason (wrong first impressions), and only started wearing it recently again with the encouragement of friends. Whenever I'm with someone new to trading and we're trading with a CM, I make sure they say please and thank you to the CM. It's only best to be polite! You're making a reputation for yourself every time you trade, so why make it a bad one?

Pin Trading Rocks Love it! even with scrappers floating around, you'll soon get to know what they are and just give them a miss.

A happy pin trader.

Lindsay UK Pin Trader
    http://dzny-pins-uk.webs.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast