View Poll Results: Should Disney discontinue Pin Trading for good??

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, most definitely and pin traders should get a life.

10 15.38%
  • No, simply because pin trading is some people's life and Disney's rice and beans.

37 56.92%
  • I don't care either way. Does not hurt me if it did or not.

18 27.69%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Dreamer

Stockton, CA..350 mi away from DLR but that never stops us!

Re: Pull the plug on Pin Trading??

Theres some old guy in a Lark-thing with a sunshade on it at DLR thats a real grinch. He parks himself in Frontierland and opens his many albums. He wont trade with you unless you have something he needs off of his checklists he carries. Ive even seen him make a young girl go buy him a pin that he needed so he would trade her.
    I dont know if he cruises these forums and I dont really care if he does because he needs to hear this one...Its people like this that turn a harmless hobby into an obsession and kills the fun for everyone. If you are going to be that sharky and greedy about something like pin trading, thats very sad.
    "Whether in his movies or in his theme parks, Disney always promised a fantasy in which one could exercise the privileges of childhood - privileges he never abandoned in his own life. This will to power took the inanimate and brought it to life, or the illusion of like. In animation one could exercise the power of a god." - Neal Gabler, writer-'Walt Disney, The Triumph of The American Imagination'

• Mickey Mouse Slave

60% of the CMs now do not do the pin trading... too much drama... :\
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

I'd like to see them evaluate the program and make some changes so that it is more fun for everyone again. The counterfeits and scrapper remain a big concern, but they have taken steps in other areas to improve the experience. I like the idea of RSPs for limited releases and have heard that they are better monitoring the trading areas now to avoid bullying of novices.

For me, pin trading is something that enhances the theme park experience similar to how some people got really into Virtual Magic Kingdom. Looking for something you like on CM lanyards is fun. Also, I think the little hip pouches CMs wear now eliminate some of the aesthetic concerns about the lanyards. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they sold those. I don't like wearing a lanyard and the mini-pin bag I carry around makes it look like I'm carrying a purse.

• Budding Pin Trader

About 30 min. away from Disneyland, California

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    So, what is your arguement for getting rid of Pin Trading?

Not all cast members wear lanyards for pin trading. Some pin traders are fanatics, but it's a very small number.

Pins fill a certain niche for Disney collectors. The size of pins are convenient for travelers, who don't have much luggage space, or room at home for larger collectables. Pins are the merchandise that have collectability for nearly every sort of WDW, DL, Disney collector, as Disney can offer the widest variety of items that offer something for nearly every attraction, anniversary, character, holiday, parade, show, or other event. Pins also are one of the very few things left that offer that souvenier which is specific to that particular park, and usually doesn't carry the assinine generic "Disney Parks" logo.
    I have to agree with this. I'm a budding pin trader, I've only traded a handful of times. I'm not obsessive about my trading. I think Disney should just leave pin trading the way it is. Don't stereotype all traders because of a few crazies.
    "Wow, time flies when you're obsessively looking at pins."

• Disney Night Owl

It took me awhile to get into the pin craze. I never thought much of it when pins started to come out everywhere and it somewhat turned me off when it blew up. However, the curiosity grew and I ended up giving in. I started buying some here and there because I liked them and pins don't take up nearly as much space as other souvenirs I used to buy to commemorate my trips. It didn't matter to me if it was an LE or open edition, as long as it meant something to me.

After buying a small handful, I then resorted to getting a lot of fairly cheap pins off eBay to give trading a try. While not really my thing, it was fun to do on a couple trips. What really made it special was being able to trade with a little girl who desperately wanted a certain pin I had. Little moments like these made me happy to be wearing a lanyard with several pins.

Sure it's a fad and a popular one but there's no harm just as in there's no harm with pressed pennies, Pook-a-Looz, Vinylmation or any other trend. Collecting stuff has been a fun hobby for almost everyone...especially Disney fans. I most certainly do not believe anyone needs to "get a life" if this is something that truly makes them happy. If you don't wish to see those who get obsessive, then turn a blind eye and collect the things you cherish.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• Banned User

We used to be big pin traders way before we had kids about 6 years ago and we recently pulled out our pin bag and went through them all (after we decided we were going to take them with us next month and give it another little try with our kids). My husband is really excited about it and I'm just a little scared. I really want our kids to enjoy it and my 5 year old is going to give it a try if he's interested but I really really dispise those pin traders we used to see in little groups. I just think the majority of them are so snotty and arrogant, they won't trade and they totally screw over all beginners if they get the chance with crappy rack pins for a really good trade. Since we haven't been in the circuit for a while I'm just worried that my husband will try to trade with one of them and they'll see all our really old 2002 pins and try to trade with him for something that he wouldn't know is a bad trade.

As far as "scrappers", I didn't even know that existed, I'll have to do some research so we won't get tricked into trading for any of those.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Then don't trade with those people (I never would!) Just trade with CMs and you have less to worry about
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I think they should pull the rug out from under the grown up freaks who sit outside the pin store in Frontier Land and in front of Buzz Lightyear. My daughter loves to trade pins, but she's only allowed to do so with cast members. She's also 7, not 47. Those people creep me out, and even my daughter thinks they look weird. *Shudders*

• Pretty in Pink Princess

Quote Originally Posted by TypeSJess View Post
    Theres some old guy in a Lark-thing with a sunshade on it at DLR thats a real grinch. He parks himself in Frontierland and opens his many albums. He wont trade with you unless you have something he needs off of his checklists he carries. Ive even seen him make a young girl go buy him a pin that he needed so he would trade her.
    I dont know if he cruises these forums and I dont really care if he does because he needs to hear this one...Its people like this that turn a harmless hobby into an obsession and kills the fun for everyone. If you are going to be that sharky and greedy about something like pin trading, thats very sad.
    I think I have seen the old creepy guy that sits in front of westward ho. I stay away from those guys but I love to sport my pins more than anything. I have got some good pins from cast members. Some little will come and trade me, I try to make sure I can give them a nice one thats not from my collectable sets. I have pins I trade and I have pins that I absolutely refuse to trade.

I have slowed way down on collecting/trading pins at the park, I have limited myself to maybe buying a limited pin or say a holiday if Im there that day! Tho I have been collecting pins since the 84 olympics, I like them, but considering how much I have spent and got caught up in it, I realized I needed to stop! My son used to love it, but stopped altogether now.......it isnt that out of hand, so I say keep it going!

I can't believe that I am jumping in here with my first post on this thread! I mean, it is already 5 pages, what more could I add? However, I did not read every page, so I will say this - I am 41, my DH is 42 and our children are 9. We all collect and trade. Like another poster mentioned, we all wait our turn to speak to a CM and if approached by another guest, then I consider very carefully what they offer and try to make a trade. I have even sat on a bus next to a 12 year old special needs child who said she wanted to trade but was scared. So, I gave her one of my lanyards and 4 or 5 pins to get her started. She was thrilled. Her parents were thankful that we interacted with her and treated her like anyone else and my children and I were also touched by her excitement.

Having said all of that, why do other people care what my family spends our money on? If we are rude or impolite, then by all means, get annoyed. But if you feel the need to avoid us collectors/traders, do so, just like I avoid those who smoke, use foul language and push strollers like they are in the Indy 500!

Now, everybody smile big :o) and LET THE MAGIC BEGIN!!!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

I think it is good if someone just buys pins but trading them is something I don't understand. You payed money for a pin and your just going to give it away for another one that is probably worth less money than the one you had before. The only exeption I have to pin trading is cast lanyard/hidden mickey pins.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• AP holder 400 miles away

me and my friends just recently got into it. we dont care about "value" or "LE value" of the pins we do it cuz its a certain pin we want. like i did last night at the pin trader event i was trading lavender pins for lower pins because it was the type of pins i wanted (anything toy story im after haha) i do it cuz its fun to find a certain one not cuz i wanna one day sell them and make a profit. as with anything in life a whole of people shouldnt be judged by a few crazies

• illest since '86

Ive had a creepy pin collector guy (w/ a HUGE binder of pins in hand and like 5 lanyards full of pins around his neck) stand over my shoulder as I opened a vinylmation pin box. as soon as i opened it he was trying to bargin and trade pins with me. It was really annoying and just to piss him off i gave the one he wanted to a little girl looking at pins. Then he tried to get it off of her and her parents got mad at the dude. LOL

• Former Epcot CM

I don't understand how a poster on here is allowed to get away with suggesting an enormous section of people who visit Disney parks need to get a life.

What would happen if someone suggested that someone taking photos on a cell phone of the recently laid new floor outside of the castle at the Magic Kingdom needed to get a life? Would they get away with it? I don't know.

I think people need to be more tolerant of what others are interested in and take enjoyment from.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California