View Poll Results: Love pin trading/collecting, or hate it!

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • love pin trading/collecting

23 74.19%
  • hate it, thinks it's nerdy

9 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pin trading…

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Re: Pin trading…

Ok, I just bought a random lot of 30 pins on ebay for $30, did I get a good deal? I'm just wondering when the pins are a few dollars a piece or more, how are they selling them so cheap?
    Yaye!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    Ok, I just bought a random lot of 30 pins on ebay for $30, did I get a good deal? I'm just wondering when the pins are a few dollars a piece or more, how are they selling them so cheap?
    They are likely all to be fake pins. They are made cheaply, then sold to people who resell them on ebay. They look just like the real ones, but usually there are problems, like the paint is not filled in completely, or the metal they are made of is not as good of quality.

Here is an example of a "scrapper" I was traded.

There are some dips in the paint near Donalds eyebrow. Also the stars are smaller than on the real pin.

Here here is a picture of a Jessica Rabbit pin. In this case I have the real pin too.

This one is easy to tell from the cheap metal back. I bought the bad one on ebay several years ago. From the front there is nto as much detail in the eye.
    Last edited by Melonballer; 03-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Oh, which one is the fake one? It said they are official disney pins, if they are not can I send them back and get a refund you think? The seller has like 2k good reviews. If they are fakes then she can't trade them in the park right?
    Yaye!

Blog Entries

Oh I just checked 5000 good reviews.
    Yaye!

• Once upon a dream

Quote Originally Posted by padgerfan View Post
    Just got started on my last trip. only have 3 pins right now. any tips on specific times of the year where i can trade for some special pins?
    if you check Official Disney Pin Trading they have trading nights on there where you can go that night and trade pins with a bunch of people. Other than that no. Some pins are special are released randomly, like todays 3/3/10 Indiana Jones Fastpass. Hopefully I can get this on my trip this saturday

~babs

Thank you Solitary!

• ohai

I like to collect them, for their designs, but trading them is a little loserish (no offense, it's just not my Forte)

• Es-ca-pay!

Pin collecting is fun, but it can be kinda addicting.I bought a bunch of pins the last time I visited. I was never into the trading aspect of it though. I only bought the pins I really liked, so trading them away seemed silly to me.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    Oh, which one is the fake one? It said they are official disney pins, if they are not can I send them back and get a refund you think? The seller has like 2k good reviews. If they are fakes then she can't trade them in the park right?
    I do not know how the individual seller does business. It is generally buyer beware. it is possible that the pins are real, it is just that most of the time, those big pin lots are mostly, if not all, fakes.

Just because they have lots of positive reviews does not mean they do not sell scrappers. I bought the Jessica (it is the one on the right) pin from a reputable dealer with a ton of positive reviews. The seller could very well sell some legit pins as well.

Your daugther will probably be able to trade them. Even if they are fake, Disney still takes them.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    ohh i have a malificent pin.. she is a Limited edition.. one of 300..she is a really big pin. gorgeous pin, it shows her coming out of fire! really neat and cool,,.found her on disneystore.com
    ooo do you have any pictures? I'd love to see what it looks like =D

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by padgerfan View Post
    Just got started on my last trip. only have 3 pins right now. any tips on specific times of the year where i can trade for some special pins?

you need to track down when they have the pin trading events.. they just had one like at the DLR hotel, it WAS all pin trading.. like alot of vendors..that is what you should look out for..and specific holidays--as sometimes they neat/limited edition ones come out then also..but just keep looking everytime you go, eventually you will find the ones you want to buy and keep! hey i just finised my first lanyard..and i have had it for 1 year!

• Banned User

Smile Re: Pin trading…

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGhost View Post
    I just started sorta collecting them. I probably won't try to get all of them in a huge collection, but if I see some cool ones I like, I'll probably get them (like the VMK ones)

that is how i started out..with a few.. then a few became 10 and then 10 became 25.. etc, etc..

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    I have only bought a couple. What scares me are the people who are in the park every Sunday with these HUGE albums of them.

!!!! don't be scared of them!!! those are the pin traders.. and if you have any to trade those are the people to see--other then cast members lanyards.. you do realize that eventually all those pins become worth something some day!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    ooo do you have any pictures? I'd love to see what it looks like =D
    i dont have a photo of her.. but i will get one up soon! she is at home right now in her case..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12