• Dreamer

Stockton, CA..350 mi away from DLR but that never stops us!

Question Unauthorized Chinese Pins...questions

So, I bought a lot of pins and it turns out, after researching pinpics, that most of what I was sold were "unauthorized chinese pins". Some are very easy to spot, ie, colors off, missing print, physical size difference, etc. and some are not so easy.

Heres my question..are these so prevalent that Disney and collectors don't care anymore or what? Is this kind of counterfeiting going to kill pin trading altogether?

Unless I have my laptop with me to look up pins before I make a trade, what do I do??? I dont want to perpetuate a problem by bringing these into the park to trade with cast members, thereby putting scrappers into circulation.

Why doesnt Disney do something about all of the scrappers and counterfeits floating around?
    "Whether in his movies or in his theme parks, Disney always promised a fantasy in which one could exercise the privileges of childhood - privileges he never abandoned in his own life. This will to power took the inanimate and brought it to life, or the illusion of like. In animation one could exercise the power of a god." - Neal Gabler, writer-'Walt Disney, The Triumph of The American Imagination'

• Shablagoo!

Re: Unauthorized Chinese Pins...questions

I would say that collectors care quite a bit. Most of the fake pins come into circulation from people who do not know any better or for people who don't care.

I am not sure why Disney does not do anything. Recently a friend suggested that they may leave those out there because they hope that it will eventually cause people to stop buying from sources other than Disney.

Probably they only way they could stop the scrappers is to shut down pin trading as most of the scrappers are sold in lots for people to trade in the parks with the CMs.

I don't buy pins from ebay anymore. Nor do I trade with people I do not already know. There are so many fakes out there it is not worth it.

Major piece of advice: DON'T BUY BIG LOTS! They are often full of scrappers. Try to buy individual pins! If you are buying from auction sites etc.,
    When trading at the parks either with CMs or other traders do research before you go via pinpics.com this may help you in the future. Good Luck

Lindsay UK Pin Trader
    http://dzny-pins-uk.webs.com/

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dzny-pins-uk View Post
    Major piece of advice: DON'T BUY BIG LOTS! They are often full of scrappers. Try to buy individual pins! If you are buying from auction sites etc.,
    When trading at the parks either with CMs or other traders do research before you go via pinpics.com this may help you in the future. Good Luck
    Well we arent buying lots anymore. I've bought a few individual LE pins and a couple HM set finishers but its just difficult to be in the hobby if you want to be involved but its really one of those "rich man's hobbys". We cant go to the park and drop 2-300 bucks on pins every time. We are constantly looking for deals so that we can trade in the parks.
    We werent crazy pin traders like the ones you see with the binders and binders and bags and backpacks FULL of random pins. We liked specific pins and occasionally finding a set of hidden mickeys. We just liked trading with cast members and other guests, it made it more 'interactive'.

Oh well...theres always VINYLMATION..UGH!
    "Whether in his movies or in his theme parks, Disney always promised a fantasy in which one could exercise the privileges of childhood - privileges he never abandoned in his own life. This will to power took the inanimate and brought it to life, or the illusion of like. In animation one could exercise the power of a god." - Neal Gabler, writer-'Walt Disney, The Triumph of The American Imagination'

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I have never bought pins before in the park or out. On our last trip we were given a complimentary pin from AAA and my daughter was able to trade it with a CM. Not knowing anything I bought some, a small lot, from Ebay and then came upon this thread. It never occurred to me that there are fraudulent pins out there. The ebay seller has great ratings and says there is a money back guarantee that they are authentic pins. I am just wondering though if they are or aren't and if they are tradable in the park.
    Yaye!

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    I have never bought pins before in the park or out. On our last trip we were given a complimentary pin from AAA and my daughter was able to trade it with a CM. Not knowing anything I bought some, a small lot, from Ebay and then came upon this thread. It never occurred to me that there are fraudulent pins out there. The ebay seller has great ratings and says there is a money back guarantee that they are authentic pins. I am just wondering though if they are or aren't and if they are tradable in the park.
    Theres an entire writeup from eBay about fradulent pin sellers.
    eBay Guides - Official Disney Pin Buying Guide for Beginners

Also, if you aren't sure about the pins you purchased, check pinpics.com for the ones you have.
    Some are extremely difficult to determine authenticity and the eBay sellers use deceiving wording in the auctions. ie, park tradeable, individually unique, etc.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the seller had 5000+ good reviews, and said they were 100% guaranteed, I looked at the pinpics website, and they all match up but it only shows the fronts of pins, and I would think the backs would have more tell tale signs. My big concern is, if my daughter tries to trade one and one if a fake, will they make a big deal or just say sorry no it's a fake? I would just hate for her to be embarrassed over something like that when for us it is a innocent mistake. I didn't know the pin trading thing was such a big deal totally shows what newbies we are in the Disney world, lol!
    Yaye!

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    Yeah, the seller had 5000+ good reviews, and said they were 100% guaranteed, I looked at the pinpics website, and they all match up but it only shows the fronts of pins, and I would think the backs would have more tell tale signs. My big concern is, if my daughter tries to trade one and one if a fake, will they make a big deal or just say sorry no it's a fake? I would just hate for her to be embarrassed over something like that when for us it is a innocent mistake. I didn't know the pin trading thing was such a big deal totally shows what newbies we are in the Disney world, lol!
    Really, unless its a cast member that's really really into pin trading themselves, they wont know. And besides, some of the cast members have "kid only" lanyards(light blue) and wont trade with anyone but the kids. They wont turn her away.
    Honestly, alot of the fakes are so good now that you would have to sit at a computer, look them up or do a real/fake comparison side-by-side to tell. So, buy em, give them to your daughter and let her have fun!

Blog Entries

Thanks Jess!! Can't wait to get there and just have some fun!
    Yaye!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

If they catch it as fake, they will confiscate the pin but still let her trade.

I wish they had the backs of pins on pinpics too or better pics/descriptions. But since it is fan based, there isn't much of a choice. I am just glad the resource is there
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

A lot of the Ebay sellers say that their pins are 100% guaranteed to be tradeable, which is semi-true since the cast members will usually accept all pins as long as they meet the criteria of being metal and having a Disney copyright on the back. That is why they get the good ratings on Ebay since most of the people buying the pins have no problems trading them (unless they try to trade with other collectors). When you see the fakes side by side with the real ones the difference is very apparent. When I was new to trading I bought a lot from Ebay as well and after discovering they were fake, I decided to do the right thing and not trade them, even though I knew I could pawn them off onto CM lanyards. Take a second to look at the pin after you trade with a CM to make sure it is legit. Usually it is obvious (it will be lighter, metal thinner, defects, etc.), although the Hidden Mickey pins, which are usually smaller and, IMO, sometimes not up to the same quality control standards are risky since they are popular pins to be counterfeited and are the hardest to tell apart from the real thing.

I think it is pretty easy to figure out who is selling authentic Disney pins vs those that are selling "Scrapper" pins.

Go to any Disney resort and find a pin that sells for under $4.00 ea... Now go to ebay and see who is selling lots at around $1.00 ea. No one in their right mind is going to lose $3.00 per pin, you will never make that money back in volume

Do not be fooled, there are alot of long time pin traders out there trading scrapper pins with cast members, I have seen a number of these guys running thru DLR and DCA with a cloth bag filled with pins hitting up every cast member in site dumping their cheap pins.... Only to see them at the old trading tables a few hours later, then over to paradise pier for a pin trading night.