Destiny Islands, Twilight town, Hollow Bastion... ya, i travel alot....

Fake vinylmation pins

So I was just at disneyworld and a lady there told me that some of my vinylmation pins were fake. I actualy traded for those pins withh cast members just to trade them at the dstreet store. I've had three or four of the same pin that look exactly like them so why would they be considered fake? I've never seen a fake pin that looks real. Anyone know if there have been fake vinylmation pins going around?

• For You!

Re: Fake vinylmation pins

My son was trading pins a few years ago and came across a "professional pin trader". He had been trading pins with cast members and didn't know the difference (he was 8). She informed him that all of his pins were fake and his parents need to stop buying pins off the internet. He cried. (We had bought an official disney lanyard with trader pins - no internet buying).

I have finally just decided that if the pins look cool and it makes us happy - who cares if they are fakes or not.

There are so many going around, it's almost impossible to watch anymore. I've heard if they smell like gasoline, they're fake, and so many other things.

Unless you buy them at disneyland on cards, it's hard to tell.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Destiny Islands, Twilight town, Hollow Bastion... ya, i travel alot....

That is very very true. And what a mean person! Who would tell a kid that???? That's awful!

• Minion

I find that a lot in the parks like to think they are experts on fake pins. I have had people tell me my pins are fake too and I bought them from the store. I have also had a fake pin next to a real one and had a person call out the wrong one. Just remember not all pin traders are self righteous and are nice

• Lemony Goodness

Are you talking about the 3D puffy ones? Those are harder to fake. Anything flat is up for grabs. When in doubt, check the back of the pin for the info that Disney usually puts on the back (Edition #, copyright..), but that doesn't stop people from trying to duplicate that as well. If you feel something's wrong just walk away. Do you have a picture of anything specifically?

I have been seeing a ton of counterfit pins around disney a lot. The ways you notice is smell (conveyor belt burnt smell), touch (can snap in half much easier), date/font (Most pins i see have incorrect date and edition numbers.

I think that if you like a pin (counterfit or not), you should enjoy it no matter what.

• Pin Traders

How To Spot A Counterfeit Disney Pin

Here are a few pointers to tell if a pin is a scrapper/counterfeit pin.

• Scrappers are left overs from the pin making process while counterfeits are unauthorized pins that usually made from the same molds(not always) as real pins. As such scrappers might seem unfinished and most counterfeits are made with lesser materials.
    • Look out for a dull quality, authentic pins have a shiny enamel finish with a slight polish to the the metal.
    • Look at the edges of the pin; legitimate pins usually have perfectly smooth edges. If it doesn't, this could be a scrapper.
    • Pay attention to numbered pins. If they are legitimate, they will have the number on them(ex. 18/300). If it is an unauthorized pin, it will be blank(ex. /300).
    • Take a very careful look at the back for the Disney Disney Pin Trading logo. The logo will range from slightly cloudy to clearly illegible on a fake. Also look out for uneven boxes or logos in contrast to the pin's front, it could mean its a fake pin.
    • Newer store pins have a Mickey Head Shaped layering pressed onto the back of them. The backing should run off the edges, but countefeits usually display a noticible border instead of running off.
    • When buying pins online, beware of descriptions that seem be too good to be true. There are certain words and phrases the seller may use which 9 times out of 10 will make it known that it is a fake.
      1. The phrases "all pins have the Disney Copyright" and "all pins are tradable in the park" are usually found on multi-lot scrapper/counterfeit pin sales. The words don't disclose authenticity nor where the seller got them, even fakes can have the disney copyright on them. The sad truth is that those are the minimal requirements of Cast Member trading which allows most unathorized pins to still be traded.
      2. The seller may also point out the many positive reviews that they've recieved. See if they've recieved bad reviews, they might be looking to rip you off.

• Ultimately, find out about past fake pins and follow-up on the trends. Use online sites as Pinpics or pin comparison threads to find out more information on unauthorized pins.

Be smart; do your research and you can go far and not get ripped off. If you do feel you have been ripped off, then you need to contact or return to the seller. Also, keep that these scrappers are 100% illegal.