Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Drunk On Disney!

Re: Disneyland Pins. How Best To Trade Them & Which won't you let go of?

Well last time I got a bunch of cheap pins from euro disney and traded them for more expensive ones. So if you don't want to trade any of your pins then look on ebay for cheap pin packs. I got like 100 for $100 and had tons of fun trading.

But mostly dont go nuts over trying to find ones that are rare or are worth more just find one that you like.

• Haunted Mansion Anyone?

In all of the Pin Trading Stores they sell locking pin backs. I think you get about eight in a bag. The come with a little tool that you have to use to lock/unlock them. These work really well for pins that you don't want to fall off.
    Wow, that was a fun ride?

What should we go on next?

BizarreSFL: How about the haunted mansion???

But we already went on it five times, haven't you had enough??

BizarreSFL: NOOOOOOO!

• aka the scorpion eater!

Pin trading is very addictive... but the rare pins are always found on ebay... I have a few Imagineer exclusives that are limited edition of 300 off of Ebay as well as a few sets of the Its a Small World Mary Blair 40th anniversary children... each child is a limited edition of 300... the real gold on ebay is always limited edition of 300! I love collecting rares and when I buy pins at Disneyland... they have to be limited edition pins and when I find those... I buy up a storm... those go on my corkboard for collection purposes only... and if you want good traders... its best to get those bags of extra pins from ebay... sort through your keepers and trade the rest... and I only trade with CMs thats where the gold is... always be sure to look for cast exclusives and whatever else you cant normally buy in a store at the park... My rule when trading is that if you can buy the pin in a store and its on the CMs lanyard... do not trade anything for it... Trading should be reserved for rarer pins that may be from another park... they dont have to be rare pins, but they should be something you cant normally get in the stores and something you may not have a good chance of getting... (for example a pin from WDW, DLP, TDR and youre trading pins at Disneyland), part of the pin collection you are aiming for (which in my case i collect pins from disney attractions in the parks), a pin from a special event (found one from Mickeys Halloween treat 2006 on my last trip), extinct attractions (I found one on a lanyard from Who wants to be a millionaire Play It on my last trip), or cast exclusives (found a DCA cast exclusive on last trip)... trading can be fun... but try only to trade with CMs... I have had many people try trading with me and they always went for the cast exclusives I had just traded for.... or they saw the extinct attractionb one I found and tried trading a common one like the common tinkerbell and walt Disney one for it... which I have in my collection.... long story short... Ill give 3 good tips... I am a newb at it though since I only have about 50-75 pins so far but once you get the hang of it... trading and collecting becomes fun!

Tips for Pin trading...

*Buy pins for your collection... through ebay or the parks and snag the rare ones... espcecilly if youre in the parks and see pins that have limited edition on them... check what limited edition it is of and never trade them or sell them unless you can make a hefty profit off the price you paid for it... some are 2500, 1000, 750, 500, 300.

*scout out ways of getting free pins to addd to your collection that are exclusive and part of your stay at the resort... If youre a passholder, I think theres a Disney Dining pin if you purchase a certain amount at a food at certain restaurants and show your AP based on availability... also Buy pins from World of Disney whenever you go to Disneyland... benefits are that you can receive an awesome limited edition Gift with purchase pin with a minimum puchase of 25 dollars in pins. Gift with purchases are exclusive pins only given by World of Disney and while they arent limited edition of 1000 or a certain number, they are limited in the fact that they cant be purchased anywhere and only are gifts with purchase of pin merchandise... Also certain events you participate in at the resort may offer free pins... I once got a free Blue Fairy pin from being a guest performer in the Parade of Stars a few years ago, and sometimes events like Super Soap Weekends at DCA had a free exclusive I got... and some shows on special days had given free pin exclusives, especsally on days of special events at the parks... all in all sometimes these free exlusives can be just as rare since you have to find ways around the resort to earn them or get them... and its part of the fun pin treasure hunt! There is also from what I heard pins given from the Dreams CMs that are exclusive to The Year of a Million dreams and there are so many free exclusives around the park youll never find them all, theres probably some I havent even heard about yet.

*Get a corkboard, it makes it easier to hold your pin collection and they are only 5 dollars at Wal Mart. plus its sexier than buying multiple lanyards or a large pin book for them and you can display them.

*research cast exclusives and if you see "ANY" and I mean any CM in the park with a blue lanyard... stalk them and track them down and when you get close go up to them (politely of course it is Disneyland and not a zoo) and ask to see their pins... scour their pins with your eyes and if you see somthing you like ask to trade because the CMs have to trade with you... and if you see a cast exclusive... make sure you trade for that exclusive... you can trade up to twice per day with each CM... follow the pin trading ettiquitte at all times and if possible sometimes CMs will ask you about your pin trading and thats part of the fun... engage in coversation since its where the true fun of pin trading comes from, youll never beleive how many CMs have gottein into their own collections and pin talk is always fun... also its never right to not follow ettiqutte no matter how much fun your pin treasure hunt brings... so if you start a conversation on pins or receive one... talk back, youll be surprised how pin talk makes the hunt more fun!

*Have fun... part of the addictiveness of pin trading is the fact that finding the pins you want is like a treasure hunt... and it makes your stay at the resort a lot more fun, since you not only will be riding rides, seeing shows, and enjoying the resort, youll also be looking for more pins to add to your collection and thus the treasure hunt begins

• rockin butter sponge!

The lanyards that only kids can trade off of have the BEST pins on them. Seriously. Because most kids will trade their brand new $12 pin just to be able to trade something. My niece and i have a naughty agreement where i give her some trading pins and we both look at the lanyards, and if i point one out to her and say "omgeez! sweetie do you have that one yet??!!" she trades a trader for it, then gives it to me, and in return, she gets to trade 2 more pins for something she likes better. It only happens occasionally, but i really have a thing for the CM Fairies pins and twice we have found them on the kids lanyards.
    Note: I am not a hardcore trader, in fact, i own less than 50 pins, but if i see one of the Fairies or foreign park pins, i am totally helpless. lol

• For You!

My kids and I have been trading for about 6 years now. It has been so much fun - we always "pre-buy" our traders - off ebay or somewhere for about $2.00 a pin. Then we go on the hunt throughout the park for whatever we decide to collect that trip. I usually go for villains, rides or big pins.

The best rule I can give you is to always be polite and ask to see a CM's lanyard - and never ever touch someone else's lanyard.

I have maybe 1 or two pins that I love - a haunted mansion pin and a POTC pin (the jail scene). The rest, I could trade, but my boys are getting rather attached.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Wow, is this a new section? It looks new. ;o)
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    Well last time I got a bunch of cheap pins from euro disney and traded them for more expensive ones. So if you don't want to trade any of your pins then look on ebay for cheap pin packs. I got like 100 for $100 and had tons of fun trading.

But mostly dont go nuts over trying to find ones that are rare or are worth more just find one that you like.
    Just to let you know that CM's hate this! These pins are called "Sedesma" pins, if I'm not mistaken...You can get like 50 for $20....a lot of pin traders will do this, than go into the park and trade them with CM's who have "cast exclusive" and really good pins...than they'll go sell the pins they get from the CM on ebay to make a profit or just keep them...It's not very cool and they actually aren't real Disney pins, they're "counterfeit" Disney pins with the Copy write Disney logo on the back, but CM's are still required to trade these..Just letting you know that CM's really dislike this though.

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Just to let you know that CM's hate this! These pins are called "Sedesma" pins, if I'm not mistaken...You can get like 50 for $20....a lot of pin traders will do this, than go into the park and trade them with CM's who have "cast exclusive" and really good pins...than they'll go sell the pins they get from the CM on ebay to make a profit or just keep them...It's not very cool and they actually aren't real Disney pins, they're "counterfeit" Disney pins with the Copy write Disney logo on the back, but CM's are still required to trade these..Just letting you know that CM's really dislike this though.
    Not only do the Cast members hate receiving these pins...so do the people that are their after these "cheap" things are put on there. I feel so guilty about putting even one out in one trip. Occasionally I get one in my trader bags and I sometimes just throw them away. I wish they would ban these from trading as they are nuisances to see on lanyards.

Another very cheap way to hold pins on without having to buy locks is to use the backer card from the more expensive pins. Use scissors to cut a square(or circle, triangle, etc) from the felt backer that includes the hole for the original pin. Make sure the backer hole isn't too loose and has some grip to it. Then place the pin through the lanyard, bag, shirt, hat etc. and use the little felt square on the other side of the pin, then place the rubber backer on and you are set! This is the cheap way of locking if you are tired of shelling out money for locks or you keep losing them.

• Senior Minion

You could also find some decently priced (as well as collectible) pins at this place if you live near Los Angeles: Frank & Sons

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    You could also find some decently priced (as well as collectible) pins at this place if you live near Los Angeles: Frank & Sons
    I use to go here often, until I learned the operations all of the people have. Some will charge 2.00 a pin for some people, and 3.00-4.00 for other people. Personally the quality of their pins is not worth the drive to Walnut, and the guessing you'll have to do at what price you'll be paying for them. My advice: avoid frank and sons!

If you want good pins at cheap prices go to Company D, where you know they are legit pins for 3.00 all the time.

• For You!

If you can get into company D!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    If you can get into company D!
    heh! How soon I forget. When you have a connection at any time you don't think. If were the CM I'd let you in, I'd let everyone in!

• Laughing Last..

Quote Originally Posted by aenobarbe View Post
    On a side note, I just got some neat pins for my work bag, and I already lost one while running. Any suggestions on how to keep these buggers on my bag and not on the ground?
    The resort sells pin backs that use a small brass cable ferrule with a small set screw in it. These are wonderful for pins that you don't want to risk losing and are on a lanyard/bag that gets moved around a lot. I wear a lanyard at work and change my pins around to adjust to the seasons (baseball right now) and have lost a "mike" pin, one of my favs. I've gone to using the locking pin backs and they are extremely secure.
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

• Longtime Lurker

Greetings all. This is my first post in MiceAge (after several years at MousePad and DizPins boards) and I have to clarify some things about pin trading, as I have been bitten by the bug and have been a Disney pin collector and trader for more than five years. (I've been collecting other pins for longer, including an Irwindale Raiders pin, but I digress). I have more than 1,000 pins in my personal collection, some with edition sizes of 100. I have more than 150 for trade at any time and I have traded with fans as far away as Germany, Japan and with someone in almost every state.

GIFT WITH PURCHASE PINS: World of Disney is not the only store which offers this. On the first Sunday of every month, you will received one free pin for every $20 in pins or pin merchandise (bags, locking backs, etc.). It is not your choice, but a pin that belongs to a set for that six month stretch. Through June, the pins feature "beloved Disney characters colorfully depicted in a style reminiscent of Evyind Earle." A map/card is available the first month of new set to display your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    These pins are called "Sedesma" pins, if I'm not mistaken...It's not very cool and they actually aren't real Disney pins, they're "counterfeit" Disney pins with the Copy write Disney logo on the back, but CM's are still required to trade these..
    Sedesma pins are NOT counterfeits. Sedesma was the Spanish company Disney contracted with when EuroDisney opened to create pins. The copyright is valid, however pin traders (and CMs) do not like the pins because of their quality. CMs have to trade them because they must accept pins with a (C) Disney logo on the back. And true, they don't like it. I traded with a CM one time who put the pin I traded him in his pocket instead on his lanyard. He thought it was a Sedesma, but I informed him it was Disney Store from way back (again, the quality was not up today's standards).

This is not to say there are not counterfeit pins out there, sometimes referred to as scrappers. Counterfeit pins (and bootlegs) look like popular Disney pins, but the backstamp is wrong or off in some way. Scrappers are usually low quality pins, but the look (and backstamp) is dead on. The metal color or color on the pin is off from the original.

Fantasy or unauthorized pins vary in quality, but some are quite good. I have one which features Stitch under the Sorcerer's hat under a palm tree. I've seen some with Mickey Mouse and Marilyn Monroe and some X-rated Jessica Rabbit pins.

Web sites to checkout:
    Disneypins.com (the official Disney pin site)
    Pinpics.com (large 50,000+ database of pins, 99 percent Disney)
    Dizpins.com (unofficial Disney pin news, with message board: I post under JohnGar67 there)

Enjoy. It can be addicting, but I've many tons of friends at the parks and through e-mail. One of my pin-trading friends lives in Texas and has APs to both WDW and DLR and visits each regularly.

And tamasurvivor, I think you must have been following me around collecting pins: I traded the 2006 Halloween event pins to CMs (purchased for a discount at the Disney Warehouse in Orange) and the Millionaire pins that I friend gave me since he no longer wanted them. He kept the hat and shirt; I got 10 pins and a lanyard.

• Sock Puppet

i was wondering is it better to buy pins before you go and while you are their. Is there any good place on the internet to buy disney pins besides disneyshopping.com or ebay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast