Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Talking Disneyland Pins. How Best To Trade Them & Which won't you let go of?

So far I've got pins from both Disneyland and WDW and now have about 37 pins. Some I don't want to part with yet others I can do without. Any tips on how to properly trade for pins... maybe pin trading etiquette?

And what pin are you most proud of and not willing to let go no matter what the cost. Post pictures of pin if possible.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland Pins. How Best To Trade Them & Which won't you let go of?

To be honest, i've never understood the whole pin-trading thing. I've bought a few, but just ones that I want to keep for a collection.

What exactly is it?
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

Here's some of the basics for trading at the parks.

CM's have two types of lanyards. Blue, which means anybody can trade pins on that lanyard. Teal, only children are allowed to trade pins off teal lanyards.

You can only trade for TWO pins on each lanyard or pin book that a CM has.

I've only been to Disneyland, and some of the best places for pins and trading are as follows:

Main Street - Pin cart right outside of Coke Corner. Let me also add that trading with CM's is easier then with pin traders. CM's will trade their pins for whatever pin you offer, the regular folks there are a bit more picky though.

Tomorrowland - Little Green Men shop. They have a good assortment of pins you can purchase. Also lots of CM's with lanyards and at times folks outside trading pins.

Frontierland - Silver Spur. I mostly do trades with the CM's here.

P.T. Flea Market in DCA - Good place to shop and trade.

As for a pin I would never trade/sell. Would have to be my Stitch Leo pin.

• Princess Mouse Ears

Here are a few etiquette rules

"To trade pins, one has simply to approach another pin-displaying guest or Disney Cast Member and request a trade. A guest can, of course, decline, but Disney Cast Members at the parks or resorts must trade the pins displayed on their official lanyard. In fact they are required to make up to two trades per day with any given guest. Proper Disney pin trading etiquette mandates that no one touches anyone else's pins or lanyard, and when an exchange is agreed on, the pins are handed over with the the backs on. In addition to wearing pins on lanyards, guests may wear pins on hats, vests, or sashes. Cast Members may wear their pins on a hip lanyard, which is a square of canvas clipped to a belt. "

There is a website that has a pin database, pinpics.com , they have pictures and descriptions of different pins and also wants and trades rations.

When I started trading I felt overwhelmed. I liked all of the pins, but in order to keep my sanity I decided to only collect Daisy Duck pins. Collect pins that you like and you wont be disappointed.

Also, on Dizpins.com they have a trading and sale forum. You can get inexpensive traders off their sale board ($2-$5).

I hope that helps.
    So many mouse ears, so little time...

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Pin Trading is very addictive. I think I am up to about 300 pins in my own collection and probably another 100 in trading books and such. Some are easy to come by and others are difficult.
    I recently bought the I Was There pin and would NEVER trade it or sell it. Many "trader" pins sell for 1.50-2.50 and are more economical for trading than 6.95 pins. CM's can not refuse a trade, but guests can.
    Your best bet for finding good pins is at Pin Trading Night. usually held at Paradise pier hotel once a month. April 20th this month.

• :)

trade with CM's they have great pins..but some of the information above is incorrect, I was a CM for quiet a while and did pin trading and here are some tips ---

Alot of CM's "update" their lanyard frequently with new and great pins

They aren't required to trade two pins a day.

They have to trade, you tell them which pin you like on their lanyard and they'll trade any pin that you have (must be a disney one)

you cant trade them one pin for a pin you have which is already displayed on their lanyard

you can only trade up to two pins with each individual CM at one time

CM's are required to have a minimum of 12 pins on their lanyard

You can trade them a "pixie dust pin" for any pin displayed on their lanyard, as long as they dont have it already displayed on their lanyard.

• Do You know?

The pins that I would never never trade are my annual passholders pins. It is a great reminder of how many years I have had my pass.

• Minion

Also, your pin should be in good condition. Pin trading can be fun if you're looking for something in particular. I think pins from Tokyo are exciting to find. Don't feel like you have to trade, its just there for the fun of it, for those who like it.

• Minion

I am not really into pin trading, but do it occasionally (I like the pins I have and would hate to depart with them, but lately I buy doubles) Anywho, the pins I won't depart with are: my DCA oppenig day ones, passholder ones (from a few yrs ago), and my Club 33 33rd anniv pin. I will never trade the Club 33 one! (Will try and get a pic of it someday)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I would sell any of my pins for the right price! But none of them are worth as much as I'd want to ell them for

The DL page has some great pin trading tips! It's a lot of fun!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I have a pin that isn't a traditional pin that says "Fantasyland" on it. I think is was a give away in the 70's (?) It doesn't have a stick through backing on it, its made like a broach. My daughter has it on one of her lanyards and has strict instructions to never trade it to anyone.

• Haunted Mansion Anyone?

To be honest, some of the best trading I have ever done with CM's was at DCA. On a couple of trips i ended up finding a lot of good ones. Also in the main gate of Disneyland. I have found a lot of good Cast Lanyard Pins there.
    Wow, that was a fun ride?

What should we go on next?

BizarreSFL: How about the haunted mansion???

But we already went on it five times, haven't you had enough??

BizarreSFL: NOOOOOOO!

• Haunted Mansion Anyone?

Oh, one more thing. On any given day there are insane pin traders sitting somewhere in the park with four or five pin bags full of them. Ask these people questions about pin trading and any other thing you are interested in. Most of them will be more than happy to help you out.
    Wow, that was a fun ride?

What should we go on next?

BizarreSFL: How about the haunted mansion???

But we already went on it five times, haven't you had enough??

BizarreSFL: NOOOOOOO!

• Cast Member

Hello there,
    As a cast member as well, I'd like to add another benefit not mentioned with trading with a cast member. We sometimes have pins that are exclusive for the cast member lanyards that can not be purchased at any store! We don't have to identify them to a guest, and I usually don't volunteer the info but let the guest now what they got once they pick it out! Regular pin traders know what to look for and quickly "scan" my lanyard but we add them all the time so keep you eye open. Sometimes you can tell if it's one for they might have a small "hidden" mickey on it as well. Have fun!

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

On a side note, I just got some neat pins for my work bag, and I already lost one while running. Any suggestions on how to keep these buggers on my bag and not on the ground?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast