Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Re: Do you collect and trade for fun or for value?

Didn't actually start trading until about 2 yrs ago and I still don't really like doing it.
    I initially started buying pins because i thought they were cool. Picked out ones that interested me because I liked them! That's really all there is to it. I still have certain pins that i buy regardless of cost because I like them. i don't plan on ever selling or doing anything w/ them ^_^

• Senior Minion

Trade for fun, love the challenge of finding particular pins on lanyards.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Second Star to the right.

Second Star to the Right and Straight on Till Morning

I do both. I have value pins that I won't trade, but I buy pin sets when we go. I normally trade for series pins that I like.
    Check out my flickr photos!

I collect things because they appeal to me on an aesthetic level. I hardly ever get rid of anything, so it is unlikely I would ever profit from a value-based collection.

But OOO baby, do I have a set of really rare Mickey Mouse comics you could buy for a song.....

Just kidding!

• "I Break Things"

I collect what I like, but my budget is limited. I just sent something to a fellow MC and realized I should have posted it here as well so here it goes.

I had 3 pins that I wore on my collar at Jungle. The boat was from the "land's" set. I also had a compass rose from the Peter Pan set. The 3rd one meant the most though. I was with my Mom (who at the time was a CM) and a group of other Skips in the pin meeting area by Coke Corner. I was asking about an old mini pin that is nearly impossible to find. It's a tiny hippo, for some reason I never bothered to pick it up before. One of the traders had it so I was showing it to the other Skips. Right before we left an older AP walked up behind me and tapped my shoulder. "Sir, you're one of the older Skips... I think you should have this." And he handed me the hippo pin. He wouldn't accept money, or anything. I later gave him some cast exclusive pins and had to plead with him to take those. So those were my 3, a boat, a hippo and a compass. I have other Jungle Cruise pins in my collection, but I wore those while I was a Skip. Even now they are right here... next to my pc.

Some sometimes value is meaningless compared to the thought and memories behind it. IF that person is on here... THANK YOU so much for a memento of many wonderful cruises.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett View Post
    I'm not into trading. We only get to DLR once a year for a few days so I buy only the pins I like and they get put on my lanyard for that trip with locking backs. I'll spend upwards of $200 per trip on pins and I have all of my lanyards from past trips hanging in my office.
    My family is right there with you. It is the same with us, we get to the park once a year and before we go we peruse the online pin store buy what appeals to us then at the park spend a few buck-a-rinos on pins we can only find at the park. This last trip in August we had a lot of people looking at our pins wanting to trade - we never had so many people interested in our pins. I had to say sorry we are selfish, we like our pins and do not trade, we buy because we like them. A couple of kids I felt bad saying no, because the kids were cute. They took it well though, one said, "Well, it seems you are happy with your collection", I don't think he could have been more than 10. They saw us a bit later in the park and even said 'Hi" to us again.
    But, yeah, we wear the lanyands with some really nice pins and it is really just for show.

• Disney Night Owl

I trade for fun only. I have traded away many pins of value and received worthless ones...but they are just way cooler to me. However, I must admit that I get psyched when ones I love are LE ones, but I don't collect them just for that.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• i FOUND nemo!!

I collect for fun. I'm never going to sell them so I don't care about how much they're worth. To be honest I don't even trade, I get so attached to them.
    "behind the orange curtain it's not so bad"

Hi there... how do you know which ones are valuable? Is there a site or a way to know if the pins that I have are worth actually something or if i should just trade them?

I'd appreciate any advice... :o)

• Think lovely thoughts...

I trade for fun and for the pleasure. I love my pins and I trade them if I see one I love more. I keep the pins that are dear to me at home but I take my "trading pins" with me when I visit the Magic Kingdom. But I don't trade for value. I have fun doing it!
    Dream a fantastic dream...

• I may be nutz...but...

Some are collected for fun, some are kept in showcases if they are Very Rare or LEs. I like collecting pins of all kinds so my collection varies from the simple traders to the very Hard to Find Rare LE 50 pins. This is my favorite collecting hobby, collecting Disney pins. I have several thousand pins at this point and usually will buy at least 500.00 worth of pins or pin sets or framed sets each trip.
    susabelle

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Fun
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Fun, me too

I just collect Pooh and Piglet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123