• Too far from Disney World

Debating on collecting Pins

Ok, I'm torn here and am looking for some advice. I'm a huge Donald Duck fan. I collect anything to do with him, Daisy, Scrooge and the nephews. I have never really gotten into the pins. I have a few special ones (a Donald pin my dad got me on our first trip to Disney World in 1994, a gold Donald Hat pin and the Orphans pin that came with my WDCC).

Now the more I look, the more interested I become in the pins. Is there anything people recommend when collecting pins? How do you guys display your pins?
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Debating on collecting Pins

You are on the right track. There are so many pins out there that I have chosen one character and only buy that character (mostly). They have great pin cases to hold them in and I have also seen people put them in frames.

Have fun!

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Yeah.. I wa sthinking about buying some cork board (they sell it home office, Target and Micheals stores in squares), cutting it to size and framing it. You'd just push the pins int he cork and frame, arranging them ghow ever you'd like!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Shablagoo!

Another Micechatter whose name I have forgotten places ribbons between 2 dowels and puts their pins on the ribbons. One of these days I really need to get something to put my pins in. Currently they are nicely packaged in a box.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I just bought a black framed corkboard, put black construction paper on it or paint the corkboard black (so you can see the pins better) and arranged the pins on it. Then I can just move them around every time I get a new one.

• Senior Minion

Corkboard is your best bet. You can place them all in one location and rearrange them as you like.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I use a shadow box to display:

Thanks guys! I've thought about corkboard and painting it Donald Orange (gotta love Disney paints!). I just know the pins can really take off once you start collecting them and I want to be able to do them justice in a nice display.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I found one few years ago that has fabric slices through it, making nice little boxes.

I've outgrown it, so I'm causally looking for another similar. I think I got it at Target or Kohl's 1/2 off at the end of the summer w/all the other back to school items.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 04-30-2007 at 03:47 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Fight On for ol' SC!

What I have done is get some already framed corkboard and just stick the pins in that way. I have already filled up two huge boards, and I am starting on my third. At this rate I'l have no more room in my room!
    To the OP: I have a couple good Donald Pins that I have found on lanyards. One is LE 500 and the other 1000. It has Donald as a navigator/pilot. The other has donald in a chair with one nephew throwing paper airplanes around. I am willing to make an easy trade for these, if you make it out to the park.(I'm not sure how far away you live)

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    What I have done is get some already framed corkboard and just stick the pins in that way. I have already filled up two huge boards, and I am starting on my third. At this rate I'l have no more room in my room!
    To the OP: I have a couple good Donald Pins that I have found on lanyards. One is LE 500 and the other 1000. It has Donald as a navigator/pilot. The other has donald in a chair with one nephew throwing paper airplanes around. I am willing to make an easy trade for these, if you make it out to the park.(I'm not sure how far away you live)
    Unfortunatly I won't be at the parks until September

• Sock Puppet

i just started a couple of months ago. So far i got about 10 disney pins and i am still continuing to shop on-line until i go to DL next year. I found great pins at Amazon.com, Mouseshoppe.com, and pincastle.com. You can also go to pinpics.com HAVE FUN COLLECTING

I made some rules for myself on collecting these.

My first one was I had to find a "duckie" lanyard to take to the park with me. I thought this would be impossible. Then I found one with the nephews that says "my first pin collection." So I bought that.

My second rule is that there has to be Donald, Daisy, Scrooge, Ludwig, Grandma Duck or the nephews on the pin. No other character unless someone gives it to me. There are 3 character exceptions & one pin/lanyard exception to this rule: Animal (the muppet), the little green aliens from the claw machine in Toy Story and Potato Heads . Or if I am lucky enough to win a Million Dreams lanyard when we go.

My third rule is that I can't buy a pin that says any park name on it unless I'm buying it in that park. This is mainly for when I ebay.

Yeah, I'm weird, but otherwise I can see this hobby as getting WAY out of control!

• I may be nutz...but...

Also check ebay for some great buys. Some are fairly priced and stay low in the auction, however, some of the auctions can go quite high as some of these pins are very collectible, but I have filled out my Beauty and the Beast collection almost to the point of having nearly EVERY Beauty and the beast and Belle and Beast pins ever made, mostly from ebay auctions and ebay Buy it Now store items. It can be a very expensive habit, er, I mean hobby. It IS addictive!!! Pins are so much fun. I cannot tell you how many new friends I have made because of Disney pins! I am going to start trading next trip, have never done it before, only have bought and collected. It will be fun! And more new friends will be made!
    Have a great time with it and really focus on one subject or character or you can go nutz! There are millions of pins out there, just be careful with whom you trade and watch for the Disney China copyright mark on the back. That is an authentic Disney pin! There are alot of fakes circulating, though I must admit I do have some Sedesma (pins made in Spain), a Propin (German) and a couple of Chinese fakes in my collection, only because I liked the pin. They will never be traded and will remain as part of my collection forever. I would NEVER take a scrapper or Propin or Sedesma to the parks to trade, ONLY authentic Disney pins! You are allowed to trade ONLY authentic Disney pins, though a while back, I heard some traders mention that Sedesma may be getting to be more acceptable as trades, I still would not trade them.
    Have a good time collecting, get the ones you like and if you find those sometimes elusive LE's see what you can trade for them or buy them on ebay.
    Have fun!
    Susabelle

• I may be nutz...but...

Forgot to mention, displaying them! There are so many different ways. You can use your imagination and discover a way you like. Some people use Disney Beach towels or those collectible Disney throws hung on a wall, many including me display on corkboards, I also do shadow boxes for my prized pins, that way they are behind glass and can avoid the fingerprints. Some sets come framed already and you just have to hang em up! You can make your own display boards by using foam core board with beautiful velvet fabric over it and then frame it or make a border with some crafting materials. Use ribbons attached to a top dowel and then secured at the bottom with another dowel. ( I saw that also on a thread here, it was great as a display) You can display them on hats or hang a Disney shirt in a shirt collectors frame and put em on the shirt. You can get those shirt display frames at Sports collectors shops or even at a craft shop. Go a local craft shop and roam the frame section and the fabric section and all the sections that have display items. You can come up with a combination of craft items to display these pins. You can really come up with some great ideas just by looking around a local craft shop or even a flea market. The only problem with shadow boxes and glass covered frames is every time you add a pin you have to take the darn thing apart. Cork boards make this an easy task, just poke it into the cork where you want it! Use your imagination and you can come up with some cool original ways to show off those pins and if you do find a cool way that is really original, please share it here, we are always looking for new ways to display our little pieces of Disney Magic!
    Susabelle