how do you use the locking backs?

I posted this in the lounge not seeing the pin trading threads, oops.
    Anyway, my 3 & 6 year olds are just getting into the pin trading. They kept losing pins with the mickey black backs. So a CM recommended we purchase the locking backs, but now I can not figure out how to use them.

They were purchased at Disneyland it is a small bag that contains 10 gold locking pin backs. Also included is a small L shaped locking wrench. Anyone used these?
    Any help would be great, thanks.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• Do You know?

Re: how do you use the locking backs?

You take the black L shaped wrench that is included (do NOT loose this like I did) to loosen the locking pin. Insert the wrench into the black part of the locking back and it will come up like a screw. When the screw is loosened it will allow you to insert the pin into it. Then just tighten the screw with the wrench and it will lock into place. The only way to get it off is with the wrench, so do not loose this- believe me.
    Last edited by Disney1978; 06-15-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: can't spell

•   
    • Senior Minion

Pretty much like Disney1978 posted, that's what you do. On the pin backs though, make sure the black screw thingy is on the part of the pin back attached to the pin - not the sharp end. Otherwise you will be putting it on the wrong way. You can use either end of the L shaped tool to screw on the pin back as well.

I've used them many times and haven't had a problem with them. And, if you want to make sure you are doing it right you can always ask a CM at the park to show you the proper way to attach them as well.

They are definately worth the extra $. We put locking backs on all of our pins, usually before we get further than a few feet from the store they were bought from. That way we don't have to worry about them getting lost on rides.
    Last edited by JangoFett; 06-17-2007 at 07:51 AM.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Here's a much cheaper way to lock your backs onto lanyards. Using the black felt backers that the pins come attached to, poke the back of the pin through the black felt and cut out a square around the hole and then put the pin on the lanyard and put the felt square between the lanyard and rubber backer. it works and is much cheaper than the locking backs.

• is too darn hot.

IK found a way not to lose the allen wrench that comes with the backs. I worked it into the mesh of my pin hat, that way it's always available.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!