Thread: New to The

New to The

hey everyone...

i just started collecting pins... and I am somewhat confused by the pin trading concept. How does trading at the park work? Are cast members required to trade with you. Also, if I purchase a pin, its one i like so I wouldnt want to trade it.

Sorry for the ignorance of my post... but this seems like such a fun hobby, I want to get started. I love the attraction pins.

• Too far from Disney World

Re: New to The

Don't feel bad! I'm new to pin trading too!

Our trip in September was our first pin trading experience for us. My boyfriend REALLY got into hunting duck pins as I collect Donald Duck and family stuff. The cast members were really friendly and explained it to us.

Cast members have to trade with you if you have a tradable pin. You can trade up to two pins with each cast member that has a lanyard or side pouch. Watch the lanyard colors. Blue (for adults) can trade with blue and green (for kids) can only trade with green. Pin trading guides/rules are posted at most of the pin stores and kiosks we visited. We'd just walk up and ask to see the CM's pins. If we found one we wanted we'd point at the one we were willing to trade on one of our lanyards and ask if they'd trade for the one we wanted on theirs.

Now, we bought pins that I liked for me and we didn't want to trade. But there were some mystery tins that we bought to try to get the Donald pins out of and we wound up with other characters, so we traded those for duck pins. We also went to the character warehouse and picked up some discounted pins for cheap and used those for trade. There's also ebay that you can get some pins for cheap to use as trades. Trust me, once you get to the park you will want some pins you don't really care about to use for trades for the ones you want! We left our house with 4 pins and came home with over 50! Just have fun with it and don't be afraid to ask people how it works.
    Last edited by FantasticDuck; 10-17-2007 at 05:09 AM. Reason: forgot something
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

My 300th post!!!!

My mom, stepdad and I started pin trading about 5 years ago. They have 5 of those pin bags/books filled with pins. I have about 2 bags filled. My mom tends to collect the special event and party pins like MNSSHParty, MVMCParty, and Epcot's F&W festival. She also collects the resort pins and restaurant pins. My stepdad tries to do sets at a time. He also collects all Haunted Mansion, Alice in Wonderland, and villains.

I am trying to stick to Disney dogs/cats, Stitch, Ariel, special event/party, holiday, and Chip and Dale. Oh, and anything else I think is cute! There are 1000's of pins available, and collecting can get out of hand if you aren't careful. Just start small, like with a certain favorite chracter and go from there.

Most of all, have fun with it!
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

• Do You know?

The 2 websites that helped me out when I was starting was

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/index
    this site is run by Disney and they will show you which pins are coming up and it has a great FAQ section that will answer alot of your questions.

The other great website that alot of traders use is
    http://pinpics.com/

They show you which pins have been released and to verify the type of pin.

• Senior Minion

A good way to get pins you want to trade are by purchsing those mystery boxes. They tend to come with two pins, then you can trade for any pins you see that are to your liking.

If I see a Cast Member with a lanyard I always stop them and ask if I may see their pins. I look for anything I might like and if not say thanks and go on with my day. Sometimes you will see Cast Members by the Pin Trading Cart in Main Street (Disneyland) with books full of pins to trade.

thanks for the responses everyone!!

so just to clarify... what if the cast member doesn't want to part with their pin and how is a trade defined as even. Do 2 for 1 trades ever go down?

I can't believe its taken me so long to get in on the pin trading fun.

• Senior Minion

Cast Members (CM) cannot refuse to trade with you. You trade one pin of yours for one of theirs, unless they are not official Disney pins - then a CM will refuse the trade. CM trades are always 1 for 1. Remember though that you can only trade two pins per lanyard or book.

Two for one trades though, probably occur when you trade with other guests. Guests tend to be a bit more choosy about whay you trade with them so 2 for 1 will most likely happen with them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Cast Members (CM) cannot refuse to trade with you. You trade one pin of yours for one of theirs, unless they are not official Disney pins - then a CM will refuse the trade. CM trades are always 1 for 1. Remember though that you can only trade two pins per lanyard or book.

Two for one trades though, probably occur when you trade with other guests. Guests tend to be a bit more choosy about whay you trade with them so 2 for 1 will most likely happen with them.
    Also, I know in WDW at least, not sure if DL does this, if the cast member is wearing a green lanyard, the pins will only be traded to a child under 7. Blue lanyards are what anyone can trade with.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Also, I know in WDW at least, not sure if DL does this, if the cast member is wearing a green lanyard, the pins will only be traded to a child under 7. Blue lanyards are what anyone can trade with.
    Actually, it is under 12.

Quote Originally Posted by From Disney's Official Pin Trading site:
    WHY ARE SOME CAST MEMBERS WEARING GREEN/TEAL LANYARDS?
    Disney Pin Trading is fun for people of all ages. However, kids, ages 3-12, get an extra trading treat. Look for Kids Only lanyards - Disneyland® Resort uses "teal" lanyards and Walt Disney World® Resort uses "green" lanyards. This means that Kids are the only Guests allowed to trade from these special lanyards. Kids can also trade from Cast Members wearing blue lanyards.
    Which made me happy because my 9 year old was thinking of trying pin trading on our next trip!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinkermonkey View Post
    Actually, it is under 12.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about the age, just that I couldn't do it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Breedsnonpedigreedmoney

Also interested in starting pin trading. Is anyone on this forum a WDW regular?