Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Re: Attention Pin Traders!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I have a knack for picking the fake ones for some reason. I trade what I like, and then I always find out it's fake afterwards. I still like the pin, so I would not trade it back, but it is disappointing to get a fake pin.

The best place to check is http://pinpics.com

And I don't think it's necessarily fair to blame the cms. Many of them don't realize which are fakes and which are not. I think at the end of the day they should go through lanyards, but is there time for that? When I see a Living Seas pin with a Hong Kong Disneyland backstamp, that is when it's easy to spot, but some of the counterfeits are getting pretty close to the real thing too.
    I agree with checking out this site. I usually check my pins on this web site when I get home.
    Last edited by WheresMickey; 06-21-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Bad spelling
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

Quote Originally Posted by gRuMpEe View Post
    I usually try to trade for the ones I know are real!!!

I'm fairly new to pin trading but try to keep an eye out!!!

As a matter of fact I don't even like the Disney Store pins!!!
    There was this one incident when I traded a pin and when I chcek it, it was a Disney Store pin. One CM said they are not suppose to accept Disney Store pins becuase before Disney Store and Disneyland was not the same company. But they traded still.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeek View Post
    At my location I will go through every few weeks and maintain all the pins we have to look for fake pins. As a CM, I do accept fake pins. I will get them off of my lanyard as soon as possible and put something else on. If you just started pin trading and the next CM you go to refuses to trade pins with you since your pins are fake, then the chances are you will be turned off of pin trading. Terrifying young guests or even new pin traders with the fact that they have something that is not a real pin is not my goal. I want them to have a positive experience. Some guests perfer the fake pins on occasion and don't care if they are fake or not.
    At the end of the day, does all the landyard get turn in and restock with new pins? Or are the pins just use over and over? What does Disneyland do with all the pins?

Quote Originally Posted by WDWImagineer View Post
    I traded with a CM one time for this really neat pin. When I flipped it over there was no Disney Trading Pin stanp. Nilch, notta! Let's just say I had traded a very expensive "real" pin! I looked everywhere online and kept showing up as a fake. I had to go through 2 CMs before anyone would take it.
    I notice this also, a lot of CM are now checking the back of the pins with the Pin Trading Symbol.

• Sock Puppet

I am also pretty new in collecting pins. I get my pins off of ebay. When i go to Disneyland, i want to trade with CM's. Now i want to make sure they i don't get a fake. There has been some hints on this thread on what to look for such as smell of gasoline, pin trading backstamp, thickness, and looking on pinpics.com

Is their any other way to see if it is fake or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    I am also pretty new in collecting pins. I get my pins off of ebay. When i go to Disneyland, i want to trade with CM's. Now i want to make sure they i don't get a fake. There has been some hints on this thread on what to look for such as smell of gasoline, pin trading backstamp, thickness, and looking on pinpics.com

Is their any other way to see if it is fake or not?
    I hate to tell you this, but if you buy "Lots" on eBay (meaning set of 100 pins), most of the pins you will receive will be fake. I am not saying all of the pins, but most of them. The way you can tell is when you have them all together, you can smell gasoline or turpentine.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WheresMickey View Post
    There was this one incident when I traded a pin and when I chcek it, it was a Disney Store pin. One CM said they are not suppose to accept Disney Store pins becuase before Disney Store and Disneyland was not the same company. But they traded still.
    I trade Disney Store pins all the time. It's a great way to get many (real) pins cheap. I have never been turned away or questioned when using them.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I'm a pretty avid pin buyer (not trader). How can you tell a real pin from a fake one and who makes these counterfeits?
    As I said 2 posts above yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    The best way is the smell of gasoline, but that's hard to tell from a lanyard lol
    It's hard to tell because they look so real. We just look them up on pinpics after. Counterfeits will have off colors or gold vs. silver backs. Sometimes they're thinner. Usually the back markings are the same but sometimes they're different. Unless you're looking for a certain pin and know its colors and markings, it's tough.
    The counterfeits, from what I've been told, are made by the people who make the pins for real - they steal the mold and make their own.

I hate to tell you this, but if you buy "Lots" on eBay (meaning set of 100 pins), most of the pins you will receive will be fake. I am not saying all of the pins, but most of them. The way you can tell is when you have them all together, you can smell gasoline or turpentine.
    WheresMickey, I want to alert you to the "multi-quote" feature. If you want to quote more than one post in a thread, click the button the the right of the "quote" button on each post. This marks the post, so that when you press reply, it quotes every post. Easier for you to do, easier to organize your thoughts and it's a nice thing to do so people don't just scroll through your posts.

In reply, that's very true - you just have to find some good sellers and stick with them. If you buy a lot and they are all the same pin or the same set of pins (like, 25 pins all the same set) then they're probably fake.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Sock Puppet

I never buy lots because i know that i will get fakes. I only buy singles and the ones that i want off of ebay

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

At the end of the day, does all the landyard get turn in and restock with new pins? Or are the pins just use over and over? What does Disneyland do with all the pins?
    It varies by location. Essentially not though. We send the pins back, but I;m not sure what Disney does with them in the end.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    The counterfeits, from what I've been told, are made by the people who make the pins for real - they steal the mold and make their own.
    Ok, I want to clear a few things up that irk me with the pin traders. They call ever bad pin a counterfeit, but there are a few different terms that I like to use because they are all not "counterfeit" per say.

There are one out there that are called scrappers. Often these will be the "Hidden Mickey" pins that you must trade CMs for. They are ones that Disney ordered and had made and shipped to the US, but did not pass their quality control. Color might be off or there is metal fill in spots where there should not be. Ideally, they should stay in the Disney warehouse until they are taken and distorted, but there was a problem last summer where one employee at the Ontario warehouse was stealing them and selling them cheep or so the rumor has it. Rumor also has it that said employee was caught in a sting and termed. But we never really know. But the scrappers did stop showing up in such quantity after that supposed sting and term.

Scrappers is also used to define those same pins that someone is buying from the manufacturer in China. They may have thousands more already made but Disney tells them to destroy them (ie, "scrap" them) because they did not pass quality in the initial batch and want them fixed. So the factory has the option to trash them or sell them off to someone under the table.

Ok, so I have no real official story for the above ones, but that is generally believed by all the traders I know. Not really counterfeit by the true meaning of the word, but more ill-gotten pins.

Then there are the "Sedesma" and "ProPin" pins. They are not really counterfeit either. Those are manufacturers that, AFAIK, originally had licensees to make Disney pins, but they have since lost them. But they still make the pins with the Disney copyright on the back. These pins often just look cheep compared to normal Disney pins. Sometimes, they are even plastic and not metal. Not counterfeit, just not well made or made legally from what I know.

And last, but not least, are the "Fantasy" pins. These are just fun pins that someone made or had made and are often just one-offs. They are usually subject matters that Disney would NEVER put on a pin. The one often described to new traders is the one of Jessica, naked, on a Motorcycle. That is also one of the more tasteless ones that I know of. Some are rather nicely done and tasteful, just an image Disney would never do. I know a guy who has a pin of Alice kissing the Hatter. Its not sexual or obscene, but still something that would never be made.

But I guess I forgot to mention that there are sometimes just real counterfeit pins out there. Though I see them less than just the scrappers and such as I mentioned above.

And I know that when I get crap pins and such, I just throw them away as fast as possible. Im sure if you were to go foraging in the bushes down by the DTD Pin Traders, you would find a lot of pins out there. I know I've thrown my fair share of sedesmas and such over the edge.

So, yeah, it just irks me when someone calls any bad pin a counterfeit one. Sometimes they are, but most of the time, they just want to seem to call them that rather than really define what it is.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    So, yeah, it just irks me when someone calls any bad pin a counterfeit one. Sometimes they are, but most of the time, they just want to seem to call them that rather than really define what it is.
    For simplicity's sake, counterfeit works just as well. If they are not officially produced by Disney, then they are counterfeit. I believe sedesma and propins are not included, because they are just made by separate companies. So, these are not really what we are discussing, since they are allowed to be traded.

Just because we call them counterfeits, the scappers, does not mean we don't know the details.

http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm
    Last edited by yoyoflamingo; 06-21-2008 at 04:47 PM.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    For simplicity's sake, counterfeit works just as well. If they are not officially produced by Disney, then they are counterfeit. I believe sedesma and propins are not included, because they are just made by separate companies. So, these are not really what we are discussing, since they are allowed to be traded.

Just because we call them counterfeits, the scappers, does not mean we don't know the details.

http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm
    Intresting, thanks for the information.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    And I know that when I get crap pins and such, I just throw them away as fast as possible. Im sure if you were to go foraging in the bushes down by the DTD Pin Traders, you would find a lot of pins out there. I know I've thrown my fair share of sedesmas and such over the edge.
    Are there no trash cans available?
    I want my cake back!

• Sock Puppet

What is DTD pin traders?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast