Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 'CARS 2' box office race

So, is it me or is this potentially going to gross as much (or right around as much) in the States as Ratatouille did? I wasn't a huge fan of Cars 2, but I'm genuinely surprised that it hasn't done as well as the first film did.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• DLR Cast Member

It's made over $350 million. That's pretty respectible.

I'm not saying it's not respectable (and certainly, Disney-Pixar will make tons of money from the merchandising), but that number--which is the current worldwide take, not the domestic take--makes Cars 2, at this point, the lowest-grossing Pixar movie worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo. As I said before, I didn't think a lot of Cars 2, but even still, I assumed it would make a lot more money, if only because the movie's settings are more international, thus drawing in a more diverse worldwide audience. (The first Cars didn't do as well as, say, Ratatouille or Up overseas.)

In the States, Ratatouille made $206 million in 2007; Cars 2, even with the projected weekend take, is just over $180 million in the States. This is not meant to be a judgment on the film's quality, mind you. (There are a lot of movies I like that do pitifully at the box office, and movies I don't like that do amazingly.) I'm just seriously surprised it's not doing as well as even its predecessor, in the States.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Fourth on the weekend was Pixar’s Cars 2, which bagged $30 million from 39 offshore territories representing about 88% of the 3D animation’s foreign run potential, as per distributor Disney. Overseas b.o. cume stands at $217.6 million accumulated over six rounds.

Cars 2 had three key openings. In France the No. 1 market launch generated $9 million from some 422 locations. The No. 2 Germany take was $6.7 million from 553 venues while a Japan bow yielded $5.8 million.

Openings in Denmark, Norway and Sweden are due this week.
    Box Office Report: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2' Still Tops Overseas, Sets Warner Bros. Record - The Hollywood Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by mousterpiece View Post
    I'm not saying it's not respectable (and certainly, Disney-Pixar will make tons of money from the merchandising), but that number--which is the current worldwide take, not the domestic take--makes Cars 2, at this point, the lowest-grossing Pixar movie worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo. As I said before, I didn't think a lot of Cars 2, but even still, I assumed it would make a lot more money, if only because the movie's settings are more international, thus drawing in a more diverse worldwide audience. (The first Cars didn't do as well as, say, Ratatouille or Up overseas.)

In the States, Ratatouille made $206 million in 2007; Cars 2, even with the projected weekend take, is just over $180 million in the States. This is not meant to be a judgment on the film's quality, mind you. (There are a lot of movies I like that do pitifully at the box office, and movies I don't like that do amazingly.) I'm just seriously surprised it's not doing as well as even its predecessor, in the States.
    Also, you have to throw in the 3D, which "padded" the figures more on Cars 2 (probably 10+%). Personally... First Pixar movie I'm waiting for on Video... decided to skip it in the theaters.

You bring up a great point; I'd forgotten about the 3D. Even though I'm not a big fan of bringing inflation into most box-office discussion, I'm sure that if we inflated Toy Story and A Bug's Life to 2011 ticket prices, they'd have made far more money than Cars 2.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Pixar’s Cars registered$20.1 million in its seventh weekend on the foreign circuit, “representing approximately 91% of our potential (overseas) performance,” said distributor Disney. Foreign cume stands at $258.4 million while the 3D animation’s worldwide take comes in at about $443.1million.

International Box Office: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2' Tops Foreign Box Office For Fourth Straight Weekend - The Hollywood Reporter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Pixar’s Cars 2 from Disney drew $10 million on its ninth round on the foreign circuit, lifting its overseas cume to $314.4 million.

Global take is $501.3 million.
    Foreign Box Office: 'The Smurfs' Beat the Heat and Emerge No. 1 - The Hollywood Reporter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

coming in at $6.5 million on the weekend was Pixar/Disney’s Cars 2, which played in 53 territories, and pushed its foreign cume to $351.7 million (versus $188.6 million domestic).
    Foreign Box Office Report: Record Summer Box Office Looms as 'The Smurfs' Takes No. 1 Spot Again - The Hollywood Reporter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Other international cumes: Pixar Disney’s Cars 2, $358 million

($547 million worldwide)
    Foreign Box Office: 'The Smurfs' Squeak Out Another Victory Overseas - The Hollywood Reporter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Blog Entries

theres another good thread in the movies section, with an interview with john lassetter, denying rumors that cars 2 stunk because disney had a hand in it. how pathetic is that? imho, cars 2 is the least solid story from the pixar storytellers. this really was a feature length "tall tale," versus the beautiful complete film that the original was. Cars could have been a successful live action film, needing just a few tweaks, but cars 2 is totally unbelievable. Can you imagine someone like Mater actually being mistaken for a secret agent?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Cars a live action film? Maybe Paul Walker could've played Lightning with Vin Diesel portraying Mater.

Quote Originally Posted by infaMOUSEproject View Post
    Can you imagine someone like Mater actually being mistaken for a secret agent?
    Or a rat named Remy becoming the finest chef in France....
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Why not?

have you not seen any of Mr. Beans movies -- dingbat passes off as secret agent
    or Get smart - another dingbat passing off as an agent.

Maters character kind of reminded me of hose characters.

Yes the storyline was not as great as other pixar movies but the movie was not as bad as some people make it out to be. I mean it is a movie about a world inhabited by talking Cars, planes and automobiles how serious or believable should it be?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast