Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Shablagoo!

Re: Pixar/Cars 2 snubbed at the Oscars!

Actually there is a good reason that TinTin was not nominated. Since it was a motion capture animated film, there are rules that make those hard to get the nomination. Here are some of the rules for the animated film category.

Rule Seven: Special Rules for the Best Animated Feature Film Award

• DEFINITIONAn animated feature film is defined as a motion picture with a running time of more than 40 minutes, in which movement and characters’ performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique. Motion capture by itself is not an animation technique. In addition, a significant number of the major characters must be animated, and animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture’s running time.
    • ELIGIBILITY
      1. Except as indicated above, motion pictures in this category must meet all the requirements in Academy Awards Rules Two, Three, and Four.
      2. At least eight eligible animated features must have been theatrically released in Los Angeles County within the calendar year for this category to be activated.
    • SUBMISSION
      1. An entry form naming the intended award recipient(s) and including the signatures of all the credited producer(s) and director(s) is required. This is to insure that all parties are properly informed, and that agreement on the designated award recipient(s) is settled prior to submission.
      2. The award recipient(s) shall be designated by those responsible for the production of the film. The designated recipient(s) must be the KEY CREATIVE INDIVIDUAL most clearly responsible for the overall achievement OR a TWO-PERSON TEAM with shared and equal director credit. (The shared director credit must be approved by the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch Executive Committee.) A maximum of two statuettes will be awarded.
      3. The print or copy submitted for Academy Awards consideration must be identical in content and length to the print or copy used for the qualifying exhibition. All entries submitted must include an English-language synopsis of the film.
      4. Prints should be marked ANIMATED FEATURE FILM ENTRY and shipped PREPAID to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, 8949 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211. Those entries not chosen as nominations for final balloting will be returned to the sender at Academy expense. Prints submitted will be retained by the Academy until the voting process is completed and will not be loaned for use by others during the period of the voting process.
      5. The deadline for receiving the entry form, synopsis, cast and credits list, filmographies of the key creative individual(s) named for award purposes and stills is Tuesday November 1, 2011. The deadline for receiving the film print is Friday, November 11, 2011. Foreign entries must also comply with this rule.
      6. Films submitted in the Animated Feature Film category may qualify for Academy Awards in other categories, including Best Picture, provided they comply with the rules governing those categories.
      7. An animated feature film any be submitted in only one Awards year for Academy Awards consideration.
    • VOTING
      1. A Chairperson, appointed by the Academy President, shall head one or more Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee(s). An invitational letter will be sent from the Chairperson to a list of active and life Academy members requesting their participation. Those serving on the committee(s) will be required to see 80 percent of the submitted eligible films at meetings of the committee(s) or in a theatrical setting. Viewing Animated Feature Film entries on videocassette or DVD will NOT qualify a member for voting purposes in this category.
      2. All submissions sent to the Academy will be screened by the Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee(s). After the screenings, the committee(s) will vote by secret ballot to nominate from 2 to 5 motion pictures for this award. In any year in which 8 to 12 animated features are released in Los Angeles County, either 2 or 3 motion pictures may be nominated. In any year in which 13 to 15 films are released, a maximum of 4 motion pictures may be nominated. In any year in which 16 or more animated features are released, a maximum of 5 motion pictures may be nominated.
        1. The committee(s) will view all motion pictures entered and mark all entries 10, 9, 8, 7 or 6 with the guidelines of 10 (excellent), 8 (good), 7 (fair) or 6 (poor). Those productions receiving an average score of 7.5 or more shall be eligible for nomination.
        2. If only one production receives an average score of 7.5 or more, the Executive Committee may recommend to the Board of Governors that a Special Achievement Award for Animated Feature Film be made to that production.
        3. If no production receives an average score of 7.5 or more, the Executive Committee shall recommend to the Board of Governors that no award be made for Animated Feature Film for the current Awards year.
      3. The Short Films and Feature Animation Branch Executive Committee shall have the right and responsibility to resolve all questions of eligibility, rules interpretations and the designation of award recipients.
      4. Final voting for the Animated Feature Film award shall be restricted to active and life Academy members.

---------- Post added 01-25-2012 at 05:12 PM ----------

On another note, I loved Rango and thought it was the best animated film I saw in theaters last year. Kung Fu Panda 2 was also wonderful. I prefer both films to Cars 2. I am a little surprised that Winnie the Pooh did not get a nomination, but I am ok with it. I love that two foreign animated films got the nod.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Didn't Rango use a great deal of motion capture as well? I guess since they were animals they did a lot of new animation for it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Do you think this shows that Lassiter is not the creative genius that everyone made him out to be?
    I think he just got blinded to what would really work as a story because he liked the Cars universe so much.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• MiceChat Moderator

Okay let's say it with me. LASSETER.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm so with you on that one. When I got the soundtrack, i repeated "Life's a Happy song" and it's still the song i want to listen to. "Man or Muppet" is just... too whiney or something for my tastes to listen to. And two nominations for songs? Seriously??
    Agreed 100% "Man or Muppet" is the surprise of Jim Parsons in the movie. Once that's done, that's it. "Life's a Happy Song" could easily be one of my favorite songs for a movie, ever.

And 2 nominations? I had to check another source to make sure that was correct. It just seems odd, especially since there wasn't a lack of choices for the category.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Didn't Rango use a great deal of motion capture as well? I guess since they were animals they did a lot of new animation for it.
    Nope. They did not use motion capture on this one. What they did that was different is that they filmed the actors on a set, like the one in the finished film and had them record their dialogue there. They filmed the performances and used that as reference for the animation. This is just like what Disney would do in cases like Tinker Bell/Margaret Kerry (obviously no dialogue recording there) and other actors/actresses to get a sense of motion and emotion from the actors to their animated versions. They just take it to the next level. Here is an article and video on how they did it in Rango.

‘Rango’ Featurette – Check Out The Future Of Animated Films | Screen Rant

Motion capture uses special cameras and costumes to bring a live action performance into the film directly.

Here is a video on motion capture for those who do not understand it.

Avatar: Motion Capture Mirrors Emotions - YouTube

Since starting researching I came across an article on TinTin that says that it was not motion captured. But others say it was. So this is one I would have to research more.

Talking Re: Pixar/Cars 2 snubbed at the Oscars!

[QUOTE=Coheteboy;1056696449]Cars 2 wasn't snubbed. It didn't deserve it pure and simple. And that's fine. It's not the end of the world. They're a successful enough studio that they can keep making movies and keep making money even without the nomination.

I think too many Disney fans and maybe even Lasseter himself believe that every Pixar film is a masterpiece and deserves a nomination. Cars 2 to me felt like nothing more than a commercial for the new Cars Land at DCA. The original Cars, IMHO, was one of the weaker Pixar movies to begin with. Harmless fun, especially to watch at a drive-in (which I did). But the sequel felt like a sell out. Lets make Larry the Cable guy the star and lets use it to cross promote the new attraction. It just didn't have the great heart and story like most Pixar films, and therefore, was not deserving of a nomination .

Of all the Pixar films that is screaming for a sequel, I'd pick "The Incredibles", although getting Brad Bird back after the huge box office for MI4 might be a daydream (but THATS a post for a different day LOL)

• Travel-Sized Guardian

IMHO, I'm more upset that Winnie The Pooh didn't get an Oscar nomination at all, not even for best song, heh. ^^;

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Do you think this shows that Lassiter is not the creative genius that everyone made him out to be?
    Are you working under the assumption that creative geniuses are 100% successful in their creations?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Pixar isn't truly one man's "train set" as Orson Welles once refered to making movies. The Brain Trust is a pretty impressive group of artists whose fingerprints are on all of their feature films, shorts, TV product, etc.

How many other creative geniuses out there are producing entertainment product and spawning BILLION $ industries from them?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator

Ah i see. For Rango they filmed the actors doing their thing and recorded their voices that way. It wasn't motion capture. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianDragon_Mushu View Post
    IMHO, I'm more upset that Winnie The Pooh didn't get an Oscar nomination at all, not even for best song, heh. ^^;
    yah.. nothing for the BACKSON?? That was an awesome song... along the ranks of BLAME CANADA from South Park movie.

What gets me is how could Cars 2 not be Oscar-worthy, but Toy Story 3 could be. Can anyone care to elaborate on that?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    What gets me is how could Cars 2 not be Oscar-worthy, but Toy Story 3 could be. Can anyone care to elaborate on that?
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

But here's an elaboration. They are both Oscar-worthy. Cars 2 just didn't get nominated because they felt the other films this year were superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    I can elaborate for you. Toy Story 3 was a heartfelt study of age and the cycle of life, told from the standpoint of a group of likeable, relatable characters in an intelligent, non pandering way. Cars 2 was utter crap made for a stupid audience with no heart, no likeable characters, and basically made relatable to people who think cars eating wasabi is hysterical comedy.

Elaborate enough?

• Minion

I am okay with the nominations this year
    I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda 2 more than the original from an emotional standpoint
    However, I am confused as to why Man or Muppet made it but not Life's a Happy Song, that is seriously one of my favorite movie songs ever

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast