Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pixar/Cars 2 snubbed at the Oscars!

But Kung Fu Panda 2 made it in??? Nominated for Best Animated Film? Really? I'm not a huge fan of Cars or Cars 2 but, COME ON!!!

Having said all of this, I think this is a good indication, even to John Lasseter, that Cars 2 should never have been made. Or should have sent it direct to DVD.

Also, Tin Tin wasn't nominated either. But Kung Fu Panda 2 was??? I think that's the hardest part I'm having with the nominations. Not that Pixar was NOT nominated but the Panda was!!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Pixar/Cars 2 snubbed at the Oscars!

I'm not surprised at all that Cars II was not nominated. It was not Oscar worthy.

What is killing me is that Rio was not nominated! To me it was by far the best animated movie of 2011. It was original, funny, great characters, artwork, storyline, music etc. My kids LOVED it.

I am also astounded that Tintin was not nominated.

Those are 2 huge snubs in the animation category.

We hated Rango and I don't understand the hype for it at all. I've never heard of the two foreign films nominated.
    Last edited by Tinkbelle; 01-24-2012 at 09:08 AM.

• Golden State of Mind

Another year that the Academy displays just how out of touch they really are.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I'm not surprised at all that Cars II was not nominated. It was not Oscar worthy.

What is killing me is that Rio was not nominated! To me it was by far the best animated movie of 2011. It was original, funny, great characters, artwork, storyline, music etc. My kids LOVED it.

I am also astounded that Tintin was not nominated.

Those are 2 huge snubs in the animation category.

We hated Rango and I don't understand the hype for it at all. I've never heard of the two foreign films nominated.
    I agree. Cars 2 was a fun flick, but not Oscar worthy. Too much of a wheeling and dealing green energy underlying message, and too little emphasis put on fun antics as in the first film. DLR's Cars Land is going to be a full-on, fuel-run "step on the gas" blast....inspite of Cars 2.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-25-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Quoted for truth.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Launch sequence engaged

When it boils down to sequels, Kung Fu Panda 2 was far and away a better candidate for animated feature than Cars 2. I thought it was a worthy follow-up, emotional, and another milestone in Dreamworks improving their animation.

That being said, the omission of Tintin (and Andy Serkis) from an Oscar is absurd. The Academy must hate motion capture technology. Jerks!
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
    When it boils down to sequels, Kung Fu Panda 2 was far and away a better candidate for animated feature than Cars 2. I thought it was a worthy follow-up, emotional, and another milestone in Dreamworks improving their animation.
    i agree with this. Kung Fu Panda 2 was not as good as the first film, but it was still a good one.

i thought i read a while back that the Academy didn't consider MoCap as animation. which i kind of agree with.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Except all the other years when a Disney/Pixar film won or if they agree with your choices...

For those that don't know, the people that vote for the the animated feature category nominees work in the animation industry. 'Cars 2' could've missed the 5 nominee list by one vote or a dozen, we'll never know.

'La Luna', the animated short by Enrico Casarosa that will run with 'Brave', received a nomination for Short (Animated Film).
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Cars 2 wasn't snubbed. It didn't deserve it pure and simple. And that's fine. It's not the end of the world. They're a successful enough studio that they can keep making movies and keep making money even without the nomination.

But Adventures of Tintin really deserved more attention than just John Williams' score, which is good, but not the best he's done.

Arthur Christmas had nothing but positive reviews so I thought that would be nominated.

Winnie the Pooh probably wasn't even submitted (alias, do you know for sure?), which shows how out of touch Disney is.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is an amazing film regardless of it being a sequel. It has a lot of heart, action, and really well made. I think I prefer it over Puss n Boots.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I'm upset "Life's a Happy Song" wasn't nominated. IMO a much better song than "Man or Muppet"
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I'm upset "Life's a Happy Song" wasn't nominated. IMO a much better song than "Man or Muppet"

I'm so with you on that one. When I got the soundtrack, i repeated "Life's a Happy song" and it's still the song i want to listen to. "Man or Muppet" is just... too whiney or something for my tastes to listen to. And two nominations for songs? Seriously??

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Life's A Happy Song was magicly inspered, and highly uplifting. It should have been given a nomination. Man or Muppet was hilarious, unique and memorable. I believe both will get there just due in recognition over the years in DVD and whatever new media arises.

---------- Post added 01-25-2012 at 03:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Cars 2 wasn't snubbed. It didn't deserve it pure and simple. And that's fine. It's not the end of the world. They're a successful enough studio that they can keep making movies and keep making money even without the nomination.

But Adventures of Tintin really deserved more attention than just John Williams' score, which is good, but not the best he's done.

Arthur Christmas had nothing but positive reviews so I thought that would be nominated.

Winnie the Pooh probably wasn't even submitted (alias, do you know for sure?), which shows how out of touch Disney is.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is an amazing film regardless of it being a sequel. It has a lot of heart, action, and really well made. I think I prefer it over Puss n Boots.
    Kung Fu Panda 2 and Tin Tin both deserved nominations (guess I'm into double nomies tonight). The mediocre music score was the only non-exceptional element about it. For a serious cartoon, I found myself in more suspense than many live-action flicks. Didn't even think I'd care for it much when I decided to give it a chance.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator

I was EXTREMELY hung over when I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 but it kept my attention the entire way and almost moved me to tears. That's how good it was.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

'Winnie The Pooh' was submitted by the studio along with their 3 other animated feature releases.

And totally agree on 'KFP2'.The character and production designs were exceptional and expanded greatly from the first film.

BTW - According to The Hollywood Reporter, 'KFP2' made Jennifer Yuh Nelson the highest-grossing female director of all-time with $663 million at the box office alone, the original made $631.7 million.

And she's only the second female director to solely direct an animated feature theatrical film from a major studio. The first was Jun Falkenstein with Disney's 'The Tigger Movie' in 2000.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-25-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Do you think this shows that Lassiter is not the creative genius that everyone made him out to be?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast