View Poll Results: How would you rate Brave?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars

10 15.87%
  • 4 Stars

32 50.79%
  • 3 Stars

17 26.98%
  • 2 Stars

3 4.76%
  • 1 Star

1 1.59%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Brave MiceChat Reviews

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know (seeing it on Monday) but the reviews for this movie on rottentomatoes.com and elsewhere seem to lead one to believe this is more of a good Disney princess movie rather than a true Pixar original story. Not sure if that's fair or not. John Lasseter is the chief creative officer of both Pixar animation and Disney animation. Wonder if the lines are getting blurred.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'BRAVE' - MiceChat Reviews

'Brave' had a $24.5 million opening day Friday, shooting for a $67 million projected weekend take. Last year's 'Cars 2' opened to $25.7 million.

More at:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/06/2...-office-brave/
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-23-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I thought it was visually stunning and I loved the mother/daughter storyline. I really enjoyed the characters -- I think they could do more later on with Merida and her family. I absolutely loved both Merida and Elinor -- both strong, capable women who can hold their own!

I didn't feel that it was traditional Disney/Pixar, but I thought it was highly entertaining, and I was not at all disappointed!

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, I just watched the movie CARS on TV...and I wanna tell ya when you watch it again you'll gain a whole new appreciation for the delightful details found in the new CARS LAND at Disney's California Adventure...well done Disney/Pixar...well done!

And, speaking of well done...let's talk some more about the great new movie BRAVE. If you have not been to see it yet...my gosh...go! It's a fantastic adventure set in and around Castle DunBroch in the Highlands of long ago Scotland. Tis here that we meet King Fergus, Queen Elinor, Princes Harnish, Hubert and Harris (identical triplets with a knack for mischief), and Princess Merida, a free and adventurous spirit, head strong, and determined to follow her own path no matter what.

Tis here that we are for the gatherin' of the Dingwall, MacGuffin, Macintosh, and DunBroch Clans. Tis here that we learn ancient legends...and, with Merida, follow mysterious will o' the wisps deep into the forest...

Ahhh...tis a wonderful adventure...a celebration of the spirit!

Go...and follow Merida on her journey. This film hits the bulls eye! A shere delight it is!

And...like I said earlier...be sure to stay till the very end of the credits...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm leaning between 3.5-4 stars so i just gave it 4.

Liked it but I wanted to love it. I think it feels a bit disjointed, characters not really fleshed out (besides merida and the queen), and not that much story to tell.

The movie isn't short at an hour forty, but it somehow feels short.
    It's actually 93 minutes (counting credits), La Luna just boosts the running time. That's Pixar's shortest film since Monsters Inc.

And yeah... it's short, zippy but overall kind of lacking. The climax is rather ordinary compared to the twists and turns that most Pixar films pack in. Even the dreadful Cars 2 had a decent one.

Totally agreed on characters not being fleshed out, not to mention the seeming half-hearted attempts on evoking old-fashioned Disney tropes. The witch seemed like a total afterthought, along with her talking crow.

I like Merida, but she's the strongest thing about the movie. The triplets were fun but underdone, and the dad was funny but his character seemed wonky at times. (especially towards the end) They try to explain things with a throwaway "Fergus doesn't believe in magic" line but it's so thrown in there randomly towards the beginning that they never truly hit on that angle. The director just really hopes you remember that one line that drives the entire last thirty minutes.

That's uh... not very good or strong storytelling.

Gotta give it a 3/5. Not Pixar's finest... better than Cars 2.

Bring on the return of the Monsters, see if they finally get Pixar back up and running. Please don't tell me Toy Story 3 was their last hurrah in making great films.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Brave was a great movie. The cgi was well done and some of the best I have ever seen. They were moments when you would think it was really footage of a horse or mountains or the river. Pixar has come along way since animating the sea in finding nemo. I give it 4/5 stars. The story is the first attempt by Pixar at a princess movie and I think everyone will be pleasantly suprised by the plot and the outcome. Do I think some of the characters could have had more depth ? yes ! But those problems were minimal to not take away from the heart of the story. . Kudos to Brenda Chapman, the first female lead director on a pixar film. I look forward to seeing whats next from pixar

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Brave' opens at #1 with $66.7 million at the domestic box office in it's opening weekend:

Brave" is the latest hit for Disney's Pixar animation unit, which has a nearly impeccable track record at the box office. The movie got off to a slightly better start than the company's last release, "Cars 2," which opened with $66.1 million last summer and was one of the only Pixar releases that didn't receive overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Critics were far kinder to "Brave," and moviegoers also loved the film, assigning it an average grade of A, according to market research firm CinemaScore. The movie stars Pixar's first female protagonist, a Scottish teenage princess named Merida whose defiant nature creates trouble within her kingdom.

While the film's advertising campaign attempted to play up Merida's more tomboyish traits, like the fact that her favorite pasttime is archery, the movie still appealed mostly to young girls this weekend. Roughly 57% of the audience for "Brave" was female, and two-thirds of the crowd was comprised of parents with their children.

While seven of the top 10 highest-grossing theaters for the film were in California, the movie also did particularly well in family-skewing markets like Orlando, Seattle and Salt Like City, where ticket sales were 53% above the norm.

Overseas, "Brave" debuted in 10 foreign markets including Russia and China and grossed $13.5 million in total. The film will not open in Scotland, where it is set, until mid-August.
    'Brave' slays 'Vampire Hunter' at box office - latimes.com
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-24-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Howdy Pards,

Ahhhh....tis a wonderful tale of spirit and spunk direct from the Scottish Highlands it is! Tis no wonder it was Number One by far at the Box Office this last weekend! No wonder at all!

If you haven't seen it yet...it is time! Yes, time to experience the story of a firey, young, red-headed princess...destined, now, to live for all time as one of the most beloved of all! The finest archer/princesses ever to ride a huge Clydesdale horse as fast as the wind!!! You'll find yourself loving the whole family...Mum, Dad, and the three little brothers...triplets...Princes Hamish, Hubert, and Harris...who have a particular fondness for muffins, muffins, and more muffins...oh...yes...and mischief too. Plenty of that...

You'll hear legends...experience magic, action and adventure...and be thoroughly delighted by the journey. I know I was...and I reckon I'll be returnin' to Castle DunBroch tomorrow...to see it again!

Wild Ol' Dan

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

So there is a fair comparison at the start: to me, Pixar’s strongest films to date are Toy Story 2 and 3, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille.

Cars and Cars 2 make the bottom due to increasingly juvenile story.

With Brave, honestly, it’s just disappointing what the final result is. Pixar once more proves they can nail technical aspects and sheer beauty, and tie in story strongly to intense, relate-able human emotion with the characters involved. But for how strong Meridia and her mother (the Queen’s) connection is and how it changes, the rest is just a muddled mess as far as story and tone.

I truly think it feels like Pixar just couldn’t decide what the movie should end up being, and it shows. Interesting stuff (the Scottish folklore aspects and exactly how the magic at play in this universe effects the wider story, and more screentime with the very appealing and goodhearted yet low-on-decorum King Fergus) are shoved aside in favor of an uneven, middling story and rather bizarre story-shift which mainly is played for maybe 15 minutes for unfunny slapstick/fish out of water nonsense before attempting to be tied back into the core emotional depth which is the goal of the film.

The ‘witch’ character and her talking raven to me were solidly bland/pointlessly eccentric and like something straight out of a Dreamworks movie. They are not funny, not threatening and not even very interesting: feels like a plot device character basically there because something has to make Meridia change her mind/actions and relationship choices. Malificent, Scar, or Syndrome it isn’t by any stretch of the imagination.

The rest of the film is a very weird combo, the Pixar beauty of animation and solid emotional core muddied with Disney fairy tale style slapstick/cute animal sidekicks and a out-of-left-field menace with scarcely visited backstory, and then an almost cringe-worthy unfunny Dreamworks style ‘modern’ joke plopped in the middle along with very modern-sounding arrangements of songs with lyrics played over a fairy-tale style environment and action. It was basically just a hot mess to me, and strong elements bogged down by indecisive and bland mediocrity.

Pixar can (and has) done better. Forgettable film, and that’s truly a shame.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

To me, this film starts great and coasts at "good" for the remainder of the running time. When you're at the climactic finale, you actually don't realize it because it doesn't feel like you've reached it narratively and emotionally.

There's a lot more that should have been done with the other bear, Mor'du or whatever. And I just never felt as if the mother was in any danger.

Fergus is a caricature and treated as such throughout the film. They even make him incompetent as a king. I was actually annoyed at that.

The gags definitely felt as if they were more "dreamworks" and there was a lot more male nudity than I want to see in any film, animated or not.

The tag at the bottom of the end credits did answer something I was thinking about throughout the film and that was the delivery of every carved piece that merida bought. But now I'm actually wishing the end end bit was the Witch discovering that her home is completely destroyed.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

No comment one way or another. Just a different perspective.

Could the heroine of Pixar's 'Brave' be gay? (Warning: Spoilers!) | PopWatch | EW.com
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Went ahead and merged the two threads with the same name.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Howdy Pards,

Well, I've just returned from seeing BRAVE for the second time. Now, you may recall, that the very first time I saw it I rated it 5 stars and more on a scale of one to five. Reading some of your posts and looking at the poll I wondered if perhaps we had watched two different movies...most of you rated it four stars and some even rated it 3 stars.

So, like I say, I went again...and...I enjoyed it again...maybe even more the second time than I did the first. Of course, understand that I have to admit to loving everything PIXAR has ever done on that big screen...including CARS 2 which I also found to be an absolute delight.

Anyways the story of Merida is a fun filled, free spirited adventure...a real delight set in the Scottish Highlands...it's the story of a teenage red-headed girl growing up. It's the story of a Mom trying to help her grow up... It's a story of a family, a delightful, loving family. It's a story of Scotland in the days of castles and kings.

I'm not really sure which film you folks saw, but the one I saw...the one called BRAVE is
    a delightful adventure...a delightful addition to the PIXAR world-wide Blockbuster film library. Watch the box office grow once again...and after a spectacular season of success...let's hope BRAVE becomes THE Christmas video/DVD of 2012! I know I'll be buyin' it the very minute it arrives on the shelves!

If you haven't seen the film yet...GO! It's a wonderful journey you will not soon forget...

Wild Ol' Dan

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

For Pixar, 3D is a lesser priority

Pics score big at B.O. but don't do as well as rival toons in 3D
    By Andrew Stewart
    Variety

Pixar built Hollywood's most consistent animation shop by balancing interest from families and adults. But that brand strength doesn't always translate to 3D success: Last weekend, "Brave" yielded a 3D share of only 34% for its domestic B.O. tally -- a new low for stereo toons.

That result can only stoke Hollywood's concerns about the format's place in animation, once seen as the vanguard of the 3D revival. While the gap between 3D toons and their live-action counterparts widens and execs seek to understand why foreign auds spark to the format more than Americans, they're faced with a more ominous question: Are animated 3D films becoming an exception, or signaling a deepening domestic erosion?

It's no secret that 3D shares have slowly declined for both family and fanboy fare. Recent toons by DreamWorks Animation and Sony Pictures Animation have outpaced Pixar in domestic opening 3D shares. DWA's most recent offering, "Madagascar 3," saw 45% of grosses from the premium format, but by comparison, the studio's "How to Train Your Dragon" in 2010 commanded 67% of its B.O. from 3D -- the highest for any toon since 3D began making its comeback.

Pixar has trailed its animated competition going back to its first 3D release, "Up," which grossed 53% of its opening from 3D in 2009 (that same year, "Monsters vs. Aliens," from Paramount-DWA, debuted domestically with a 58% 3D share; Sony's "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" rang up 60%).

While DWA's Jeffrey Katzenberg has been at the forefront of the modern 3D resurgence -- having vowed since "Monsters" to make every pic in stereo -- Pixar chiefs have downplayed the format's significance from creative to marketing. Around the time "Up" was released, Pixar stereoscopic supervisor Bob Whitehall said the studio takes a conservative approach with 3D, emphasizing story and emotion over depth and gimmickry.

Still, the company has released all four of its last films -- "Up," "Toy Story 3," "Cars 2" and "Brave" -- in 3D. Studio has even committed to re-releasing 3D versions of "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters, Inc.," which weren't originally envisioned for stereo, according to Disney.

The fact that Pixar falls behind in 3D shares -- at the domestic B.O. at least -- has some bizzers scratching their heads, since the studio's films play extraordinarily well with teens and adults, even more so than the pics from other animation shops. Still, when it comes to families, parents are increasingly wary of paying 3D premiums unless word of mouth suggests that the format is highly additive.
    full article at:
    For Pixar, 3D is a lesser priority - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

---------- Post added 06-25-2012 at 07:59 PM ----------

I'll be signing my Limited Edition "Brave" print at the El Capitan theater this Sunday at 7pm! Come by and say hello!
    FYI - Victoria Ying is a Visual Development Artist at Walt Disney Animation Studios ('Tangled', 'Paperman' short) and Disney Fine Art Storyteller

Disney Fine Art

• Ravenclaw

Quote Originally Posted by AcmePunched View Post
    I gave it 3 stars.

I (and many of my animation friends as well) were actually rather disappointed with this one. We all wanted to love it but it never really came together by the end. The beginning was great, and really brought the mother/daughter dynamic to life, but the process by which they finally resolve the issue feels flat and inorganic. The flowy-language'd voiceovers that bookend the film and the constant repetition of the word "fate", to me, just seemed out of place and silly especially when I felt the story really wasn't about fate at all. And I hated the fact that Merida's totallyawesome archery skills didn't have any sort of spotlight or large role in the climax.

The visual artistry is top-rate, of course. Like everyone says, Merida's hair is pretty much a reason to see this movie in and of itself. But that's not the equivalent of a good story, and this story feels like something we've seen time and time again. Treading familiar ground can be done awesomely *cough*howtotrainyourdragon*cough*, but unfortunately this movie didn't reach that point.

This isn't to say I didn't enjoy watching the film. I've seen it twice already, so that should be some indication. It has plenty of fun moments. But I only liked it, I didn't love it, which unfortunately makes this my least favorite Pixar film. (Yes, I even loved Cars 2! Why does everyone else hate it so much? ;__; ) Come on Pixar, your first female protagonist deserves better than this!

In other news, La Luna is possibly my new MOST favorite Pixar short. Go figure.

The adults in How To Train Your Dragon are Vikings with Scottish accents. The Viking kids do not have Scottish accents. Everyone in Brave is Scottish with a Scottish accent. Other than that, what similarities were there between the two? There's no dragon in Brave, either.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast