View Poll Results: How would you rate Brave?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars

10 15.87%
  • 4 Stars

32 50.79%
  • 3 Stars

17 26.98%
  • 2 Stars

3 4.76%
  • 1 Star

1 1.59%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Inappropriate

Re: 'BRAVE' - MiceChat Reviews

I'll try to say this and have it make sense without having spoilers. Brave is the prettiest movie to look at Pixar has ever made. The visuals are so good that you have to stop and remember someone animated this! Not filmed! Someone created this! Yeah, it's breathtaking.
    The story isn't really Pixar standards, but that doesn't make it bad. Up and Ratatouille are very similar, (again, trying not to spoil) but the way they move along towards a goal and then there's finally conflict at the end. That's all I'll say. There's an awkward turn halfway through the story that was very Disney, and I wasn't counting on it, but you put your head down and power through it and it becomes very satisfying by the end.
    Also, I don't know if it was the people I was with, or the general crowd in the theater, or just me being in a good mood, but I found the first half of the movie hilarious! Anyone else?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    but you put your head down and power through it and it becomes very satisfying by the end.
    That's what she.... nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Also, I don't know if it was the people I was with, or the general crowd in the theater, or just me being in a good mood, but I found the first half of the movie hilarious! Anyone else?
    The first half is VERY enjoyable. Or the first 1/3rd, whatever it comes down to. I just think it all goes down a notch once she gets to the witch's cottage.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Ready for takeoff

I agree that it seemed more of a Disney Princess movie than Pixar. I really wanted to like it but just didn't.

The beginning was fine but I had seen all of the funny/good parts in all of the trailers and spots on the Disney Chanel.

The twist in the middle caught me off guard, and not in a good way. I see how it tied into the story but it was still underwhelming for me.

I am happy for all of those who enjoyed it, but for me, it is at the bottom of the Pixar movies along with Ratatouille and Wall-E.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yah I think it's all about expectations and that's partially the marketing's fault.

When you get a beautiful looking trailer about a girl riding a horse into mysterious forest with the tagline "If you could change your fate... would you?" And she's going against a bear and it's called BRAVE.

What do you think you're getting into? You're getting into an adventure! You're getting into something mystical. A fantasy. Something really interesting!

So what did we end up with? A great start to a mediocre story.

The essence of Brave was not changing your fate anymore. It became "i'm going to put a spell on my mum.". Not quite the adventure story we wanted because it turned into a physical comedy of hiding a bear through the castle.

They also went so far as to tell us how they were going to repair the spell, then actually doing it. Nothing was discovered. It was all spoon fed to us.

At least with Cars 2, at the heart of the spy movie, it's about being a good friend and accepting them for who they are. I still can't decide what the heart of Brave is supposed to be. Don't poison mom?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Man..the film is beautiful but.....it just to me get's boring about 30 mins in....would never thought I'd like a Cars film better but hey there is a first for everything

If the movie was a normal adventure like a Disney film then it would have been great..but sadly they waste a good main character on nothing more then a beautiful but boring fetch quest

Am I the only one that was horrified to see nudity in a Disney film!?! Yes, the story was interesting, the scenery was beautiful, the characters were entertaining. Of course there are scores of little boys that laughed at the bare bottoms parading across the screen (I should mention the animation was realistic). I am sure there were chuckles when the extremely heavy chested baker stuffed a key down her shirt and the boy later dove down her shirt to retrieve it. I missed the delightful addition of the bears turning back into boys without any clothes because WE LEFT THE THEATER. I would not dream to take my children, nor would I go myself, to a movie where a string of men showed their rear ends and I am extremely disappointed we saw it on a Disney Pixar film! I had to remind myself I wasn’t watching something from the Shrek family of films. Some would say, “It is a PG. You should have expected a step above a G film.” Intense scenes, ok...dramatic storyline, I get it. This is a completely new category for Disney AND for Pixar! I have always loved Disney animated films and I have enthusiastically praised Pixar films for their incredible stories and clever jokes. Now I see them no better than any other studio that will do whatever it takes for a laugh. I cannot adequately express my disappointment in Disney Pixar and I am appalled at the lack of outcry about this!

• Goofy

i just saw the movie and i thought the this movie came out of as a random film. it was good but the movie itself came out as if they randomly made it for no reason. but still very enjoyable though. i did like the part where the people start to fight at dinner time. cute movie though

• Ravenclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Hamilton View Post
    Am I the only one that was horrified to see nudity in a Disney film!?! Yes, the story was interesting, the scenery was beautiful, the characters were entertaining. Of course there are scores of little boys that laughed at the bare bottoms parading across the screen (I should mention the animation was realistic). I am sure there were chuckles when the extremely heavy chested baker stuffed a key down her shirt and the boy later dove down her shirt to retrieve it. I missed the delightful addition of the bears turning back into boys without any clothes because WE LEFT THE THEATER. I would not dream to take my children, nor would I go myself, to a movie where a string of men showed their rear ends and I am extremely disappointed we saw it on a Disney Pixar film! I had to remind myself I wasn’t watching something from the Shrek family of films. Some would say, “It is a PG. You should have expected a step above a G film.” Intense scenes, ok...dramatic storyline, I get it. This is a completely new category for Disney AND for Pixar! I have always loved Disney animated films and I have enthusiastically praised Pixar films for their incredible stories and clever jokes. Now I see them no better than any other studio that will do whatever it takes for a laugh. I cannot adequately express my disappointment in Disney Pixar and I am appalled at the lack of outcry about this!
    I thought the nudity was humorous, and innocent. It wasn't intended to be lewd or lascivious.
    OT: As an aside, I think the U.S. has backwards ideas about nudity in general. Kids today don't even change for gym class, or shower afterwards! A naked body is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Minion

Re: Brave MiceChat Reviews

The setup is pure Disney cliché, but the execution has some Pixar touches. Merida is a main character in the tradition of Woody, in that she had a good heart but makes a bad decision. In her zeal to be who she really is, she has no problem with trying to change who her mom really is. Pointing out that irony gives a new angle to this Princess story.

I liked that it was pretty balanced between the mom and the daughter, with neither being 100% right or 100% wrong.

The rival lords and their sons served their purpose, but they were the weak point for me. Movies with strong, action-oriented heroines often seem to surround them with males who are boorish, inept morons. (Note: all three of Merida's suitors stink at archery.) Sometimes I wonder if this is a way of saying to the fragile male egos in the audience, “Well, she's better than these losers, but if a 'real man' was there, he'd be better than her...'” (I'm a guy myself, but I wouldn't have minded seeing Merida beat a skillful male archer).

The part I didn't really care for (although again, it served its purpose) was the big slapsticky brawl between the clans.

What sold me on liking the movie (besides Merida's deservedly praised crimson locks) was the bear (and I don't mean Merdu). Pixar is brilliant at doing pantomime characters. I don't think I can say much more without spoilers...

SPOILER ALERT BELOW!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Maybe it's because I love animated animal characters, but I'm surprised to see that so many people hate the plot twist. (We just saw a commercial on The Disney Channel which spoiled the twist. Good thing we had already seen it!)

Actually, I worked out the twist before seeing the movie, from seeing the trailer with the three identical boys and three identical cubs, and then a set of stickers with the female bear character, who I guessed to be Elinor. But it was nice to be proven right .

Elinor being a bear who act like Elinor, and then reverting to a bear that acts like a bear, points up who she really is and how devastated Merida would be if she lost her mother. This premise also sets up a lot of emotional dramatic moments - a mother not recognizing her own daughter, a man nearly killing his own wife, etc.

In the plot department, it did remind me of Princess and the Frog, in that they have to go waaaaaaaaaaay out in the wilderness to find out...that they have to go back to where they started.

A lot of people (critics and posters alike) are saying they were disappointed that the witch wasn't as strong of a villain as Malificent, Syndrome, etc. But I don't think she was supposed to be a villain. (There was that one trailer that dubbed her over a scene laughing evilly...I don't think that ever happened in the movie). Who I would compare her to is Edna Mode. Like the witch, Edna appeared halfway through the story, and only in a couple of scenes, but she was way more memorable. Still, I did think that modern reference cauldron gag was really funny, because, with the vials of potion, it seemed concievable to that universe (as opposed to if they had put a number keypad on the side of the cauldron or something).

The three boys/cubs are another nice example of Pixar pantomime, but it was interesting that their transformation (and the idea that they might spend the rest of their lives as "real bears") didn't seem to carry nearly the same dramatic concern as their mothers'.

So yeah, a solid entry to the Pixar canon, but I do hope that Disney lets them do more weird premises like a rat who wants to be gourmet chef or an old man who attaches balloons to his house and flies to South America. I wonder how many of those kinds of films were in development before the official Disney purchase, and how the purchase has changed the way Pixar develops stories
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 06-29-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Re: Brave MiceChat Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by AcmePunched View Post
    This isn't to say I didn't enjoy watching the film. I've seen it twice already, so that should be some indication. It has plenty of fun moments. But I only liked it, I didn't love it, which unfortunately makes this my least favorite Pixar film. (Yes, I even loved Cars 2! Why does everyone else hate it so much? ;__; ) Come on Pixar, your first female protagonist deserves better than this!

In other news, La Luna is possibly my new MOST favorite Pixar short. Go figure.
    To start off, I also really liked La Luna, probably one of my favorite shorts as well ... I'm also a fan of Cars 2, though not as good as the first, I do like it. I've probably seen both Cars films more than 30 times, thanks to my boy.

Brave is beautifully animated, as expected from Pixar. I love all the detail in the animation. I agree with some that the film seem to start of great, then kind of got lost along the way. I did feel like I was watching two different films somehow entangled together. That said, I did like the film and gave it 4 stars. While the nudity didn't bother me so much, the name DreamWorks certainly came to mind when I saw it. I think Pixar was a little off the mark on this one, but I would still recommend seeing it.

I loved it but then the whole Merida/Elinor dynamics really resonated with me as someone who was a teen girl with a mother who just couldn't quite get me. Nor I her, at that time. I also loved that Merida didn't solve her problems by essentially becoming a boy in girl's clothing like other recent warrior princesses (*cough* Alice *cough*) tend to be. She used her archery and sword fighting skills but those were part of her and only part. I was also really relieved that the story strayed from one cliche - I was certain one of her suiters would wind up accompanying her on her quest and they'd fall in love and blah, blah, blah ... nope. They kept the focus on the relationship it needed to be on. Really loved that.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Coming in No. 3 at the domestic box office was Brave, which fell 48.7 percent in its second frame -- some box-office observers say moms were otherwise occupied with Magic Mike -- to $34 million for a 10-day domestic cume of $131.7 million.

Brave, from Disney and Pixar, also earned $6.7 million from 11 territories overseas, putting the film's early worldwide total at a pleasing $158.7 million.
    Box Office Report: 'Ted' Earns Record $54.1 Mil; 'Magic Mike' Sizzles With $39.2 Mil - The Hollywood Reporter

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

As of July 5th...

Domestic: $149,358,000 84.8%
    + Foreign: $26,800,000 15.2%

= Worldwide: $176,158,000

Time to head back to the theater and see it again.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Dave

Blog Entries

Took my daughter to see it and loved it! Also loved the Monster INc. Preview and looking forward to it!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

As of July 5th...

Domestic: $149,358,000 84.8%
    + Foreign: $26,800,000 15.2%

= Worldwide: $176,158,000

Time to head back to the theater and see it again.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Weakest performing Pixar film to date as far as the box office goes. Got some work to do.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast