• Joe Flowers

Joe's quick Pixar In Concert at the Hollywood Bowl trip report - with a few photos

We love hearing Disney music played live so when we saw that the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra would be playing music from all our favorite Pixar movies, we were in! A quick call to some friends and we'll have some great company as well!

It's tradition to take food with you to the Hollywood Bowl, so we all stopped at Trader Joes to grab dinner.

We made it up to the Bowl in great time considering it was a Friday afternoon and we were driving through downtown.

As the sun started to go down, it started to cool off. Good thing we brought blankets.

Awesome!!!

As a surprise, John Lassater came out and said a few words. Some of his first words were "Hello again!" to many of the members of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. Over half of them performing tonight were involved in recording the music for many of Pixar films.

We started where Pixar started. The original Toy Story.

That was followed with music from Cars, Wall-e, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Ratatouille and Finding Nemo.

What really moved me the most though and make me all emotional and misty eyed is the music from Up. That waltz at the beginning of the movie just takes you through so many emotions. From excitement, hope, sorrow, and everything else. I'll admit, that I had a few tears while it was playing.

We took a quick intermission, then were back.

Again John Lassater came out and spoke to us. He told us how special it was to be here listening to music being played live. Some of his favorite memories as a director were going to the recording studio and hearing an orchestra play original music just for his movie.

He then introduced us to one of his favorite movies, The Incredibles! I should mention, that all during this music, clips from the movie were playing on the big screens. It was great seeing all the movie clips we love with the music to accompany them. During the second half, we also heard music from Monsters Inc and Cars 2.

Now, ever since Brave came out, we've been listening to the soundtrack whenever we have a longer drive. Theresa kept telling me over and over that even thought it's not normally part of an orchestra, she really really wanted them to bring out bagpipes when they play music from Brave.

She got her wish! Not only are we getting bagpipes, but they're going to be played by the same person who played it in the movie.

The last song was from Toy Story 3, and included the dramatic part of the movie where the whole gang is in great peril in the trash furnace. It also included the beautiful ending where Andy gives his toys to Bonnie, and again I'm getting misty eyed.

They finished the evening with a great montage of clips from all the Pixar movies and show the composers who created the music from each movie. Fantastic!

Theresa said she absolutely loved the music tonight and was also moved to tears at least 3 times. During Finding Nemo, Up of course, and even A Bug's Life.

We're definitely glad we came here tonight. We left with huge smiles on our faces!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Joe's quick Pixar In Concert at the Hollywood Bowl trip report - with a few photo

So awesome! I heard of other people who went to this and it just makes me sad I'm no longer living in the So Cal area to be able to go to things like this!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Joe's quick Pixar In Concert at the Hollywood Bowl trip report - with a few photo

What a great report and fantastic photos!

Unfortunately for me I've become an "orchestra-snob" and found that the Hollywood Bowl was unsuitable venue to "listen" to live orchestras. But I can't deny how fun it is to go out and watch musicians nonetheless.

What surprises me actually about this Pixar concert is how they completely ignored the shorts. There's some GREAT music in the Pixar shorts and it would have been wonderful to get a medley of some of the more memorable ones (one man band? come on!).

I can buy all the soundtracks to the films and blast it... but own nothing of the shorts.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "The Musical Quil"

This looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

• Disneyland Man

This was a great show. Thanx for sharing some photos. The Bowl is always treat.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    So awesome! I heard of other people who went to this and it just makes me sad I'm no longer living in the So Cal area to be able to go to things like this!
    Looks like you just missed it in your neck of the woods too. They played up in San Francisco on July 28th and 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    What a great report and fantastic photos!

Unfortunately for me I've become an "orchestra-snob" and found that the Hollywood Bowl was unsuitable venue to "listen" to live orchestras. But I can't deny how fun it is to go out and watch musicians nonetheless.

What surprises me actually about this Pixar concert is how they completely ignored the shorts. There's some GREAT music in the Pixar shorts and it would have been wonderful to get a medley of some of the more memorable ones (one man band? come on!).

I can buy all the soundtracks to the films and blast it... but own nothing of the shorts.
    For us the music is great, but the company we go to see it with is even better. Disney just happens to be something we all love and will go see together. We're heading right back up to the Bowl at the end of the month as well to listen to John Williams play music from all his top movies.

We had a really awesome time, and I heard that the Friday showing was unique that it had John Lasseter. I have friends who went to the Saturday and Sunday shows who said he might have been in the audience, but he didn't speak to them from the stage.