Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• ~

Re: Disney's Planes to get theatrical release

Yes. Anything released by the DisneyToon Studios is automatically golden. I'll start bracing myself for the shelves upon shelves filled with planes merchandise and the inevitable retheme of Condor Flats into "Planes Land".

Seriously though, I am a little surprised that this is getting a theatrical release. And it just strikes me odd that it's based off the original world from a Pixar film but isn't going to be Pixar film-- there's something obviously askew that signals that this really isn't a genuine effort by the world's creators to take you to another part of that universe, but rather a spin-off whose relative success can be expected due to the popularity and marketability of the franchise of which it will be a part. I don't see anything special happening here.

But the little plane is cute.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Honestly, it looks awful.

•   

Based on such a short and unsubstantive trailer I can't see how anyone can have enough info to tell if it's bad or good. Looking back at the original trailer for Cars one could have come to the same conclusion. Was this really any better of an indication of what lie ahead than the trailer for Planes?

Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

I am very interested in seeing more previews of this movie. From what I can tell it will definitely be something cute and something I can take my little brothers to see.

• Surf's Up!

Cast list and a plot synopsis from /film.com

Set “high above the world of Cars,” Planes centers on a crop duster named Dusty who unexpectedly qualifies for a prestigious around-the-world race. His competition includes French-Canadian racer Rochelle (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), RAF aircraft Bulldog (John Cleese), and his ultimate nemesis, defending World Rally champ Ripslinger (Roger Craig Smith). Fortunately, Dusty will also have plenty of supporters to help him along the way. That includes his best friend, fuel truck Chug (Brad Garrett), forklift Dottie (Teri Hatcher), and his WWII-era Corsair mentor Skipper (Stacy Keach). In addition, F-18 fighter jets Bravo and Echo (Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards) are there to help out when Dusty gets into a situation over the Pacific.

The race will take Dusty to far-off locales including Iceland, Germany, India, and Mexico, but it begins and ends in New York, the home base of Cars Racing Sports Network. Reporting on the event will be blimp Colin Cowling, voiced by ESPN host Colin Cowherd. Cedric the Entertainer (as Leadbottom), Gabriel Iglesias (Ned and Zed), Carlos Alazraqui (El Chupacabra), Priyanka Chopra (Ishani), and Sinbad (Roper) round out the rest of the cast.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

And Dane Cook replaces Jon Cryer.

Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards play jets like in Top Gun.

More here:

Look! Up in the sky! It's an exclusive peek at 'Planes'!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

What, they couldn't get Tom Cruise to do a cameo voice?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Why is it a "Plane Race" that's so derivative. This movie's not even on my radar.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• is poppin' tags

*holds nose*

This looks like a stink fest. The reason I liked CARS was because I feel that the story was engaging and it was stunning to look at. I'm not really into automobiles, but I know that a lot of people are. It appealed to many, many folks for many reasons.

But, I disliked Cars 2 a great deal. I felt that is was cheesey and the story was boring. But then again, I find Mater to be likable enough to be a sidekick, just not enough to warrant him being the star. Ew.

This Planes movie seems like a mad dash to capitalize on the idea that little kids like cars and planes and trains and whatever. What's next? Boats? *yawn*
    I might see it on RedBox, but I woun't be going to see that tripe in the theater.

Bring on Monsters University! I TRUST Pixar. I don't really have that trust for DisneyToons....and now that I know they are the ones churning out the sub-par sequels...well. That really dashes any hopes I had for this film even being 'OK'.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Lets not forget that This is the same kind of thinking people had about the direct to video Toy Story 2 which eventually was released theatrical because they felt it was to good for video. The movie ended being. Humongous success 485,000,000 big.

now I'm not saying that planes will make that much but anything is possible if marketed correctly.

the main concern I think people have is that it is made by the toon division. One positive thing is that it is being overlooked by Lassiter and Cars was his creation
    Last edited by Baloo; 03-27-2013 at 09:31 PM.

• Surf's Up!

Been out a couple of days, here's the full trailer - which seems to give a lot away but without any speech.

Bet they had fun coming up with all those plane related things, just like when they made Cars.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

There's going to be a showing of "Planes" at the D23 Expo. I think I may see it there, as it'll be a free showing, and I'll be able to gauge what the audience will think of it (then again, it'll be full of Disney fans).

Personally, I never was a big fan of planes growing up. I loved cars due to my parents, so PIXAR's CARS universe was just fine with me.

Despite it being free at the Expo, I'll think I will pass. I would rather shop or wait to view the 6:30 concert the Expo is offering that night. I really don't want to wait a couple of hours in line like I did last year for the Lion King (great film as always, but I missed a lot of the expo.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12