Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Brave creator criticizes Disney for changing Merida into a weaker, sexier charact

So...it seems to me Disney has "westernized" Merida? Aww. How boring.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

• Senior Minion

Re: Brave creator criticizes Disney for changing Merida into a weaker, sexier charact

Quote Originally Posted by j11 View Post
    So...it seems to me Disney has "westernized" Merida?
    "Westernized" isn't the word for it. Want the "Barbie bits" design recipe for Merida's makeover? Add a little fullness to the breasts. Narrow the waist, which accents the breasts and hips. Pull the dress off the shoulders and 'wayyy lower the neckline; add a brightly contrasting V-shaped accent to the dress between the breasts to suggest cleavage and draw the eye to the breasts. Widen the leather sash around the hips and tilt it at a rakish angle that accents the hips even more; decorate it with a brightly contrasting medallion that pulls the eye to the hips. Sway the dress in feminine curves to imply side-thrust of the hips and to help lead the eye to the hips. Almond-ize the eye shape and add makeup; tilt the eyes to create a V-shape that directs the viewer down the nose to the fuller, redder, more-strongly-contrasting-with-the-face lips. Shorten the neck slightly to lose the geekiness and to make a stronger thru-line from lips to cleavage. Give the hair a fashion magazine treatment that says "hot model." Finally, strike a studio publicity-style pose that says "hot movie actress."

Studio publicity departments and movie marketers have been calling this approach "lips, tits & hips" since at least the 1940s, and a more-or-less G-rated version of it is exactly what Disney did to Merida.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-14-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Merida did not have an image supportive of the gloss and glamour of the Disney Princess line. This just shows who calls the shots. Character design should not be dictated by Walt Disney Consumer Products and their hack artists who seem barely able to draw on model. Just think about that. Even if the Princesses weren't being sexed up, their official image should not come from Consumer Products. They are part of Walt Disney's animation legacy. Oh wait, they just laid off all of the true artists...

• Banned User

Maybe Disney has already shelved the new Merida:

Is Disney dropping the new controversial image of Merida from "Brave?"
    The redesigned sexier image of the spunky princess that has drawn the ire of parents (including me), is no where to be found on Disney's Merida Web page.
    Meanwhile the other 10 princesses' glamor shots (Cinderella and Belle are nearly unrecognizable from their films) all still appear there. I reached out to Disney to ask why and will let you know what I hear back.
    Could it be that Disney has rethought Merida's make over? After all, the marketers seem to have subjected her to major cosmetic surgery not to mention more glamorous hair and a generally older look.
    Last week Disney told me that the newer image still represented the "same strong and determined Merida from the move."

Is Disney dropping controversial new Merida image? - OrlandoSentinel.com

Though the new Merida spurned controversy, they went with human face characters in the parks (who are older and look like new Merida), versus a plastic foam Merida like they did with the Up characters.

I hope this doesn't mean there won't be a Brave 2!
    Last edited by chesirecat; 05-14-2013 at 11:38 AM.

The thing I don't understand is, why cant Merida be formal, girlier, and more "traditional" in this one line of merch and still be just as strong as she was in the movie? Does a star high school athlete somehow become weaker and less of a role model because she gets her hair and makeup done for prom and doesn't pose for photos with a racket, bat, or basketball? Of course not. Merida is a princess. There WILL be times when she will have to don a more traditional look. I mean, she won't be carrying her bow to a royal banquet of some sort. Does this somehow lessen everything else she has accomplished or stood for?

And what I understand the least is where are the parents these days to teach that being a human being is not a dichotomy of beautiful vs strong. Why do we support this notion? Why are we not taught to admire beauty AND strength?

This whole thing sort of reminds me of when America Ferrera lost weight. She was criticized and insulted by her fans who claimed she sold out and other mean things like that. Unfortunately this all just shows that looks matter way too much to both sides of the debate. Whether we want someone to look one way for the screen, or another way for our self esteem...I just feel like humans and their bodies are being used for other's gain.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    The thing I don't understand is, why cant Merida be formal, girlier, and more "traditional" in this one line of merch and still be just as strong as she was in the movie? Does a star high school athlete somehow become weaker and less of a role model because she gets her hair and makeup done for prom and doesn't pose for photos with a racket, bat, or basketball? Of course not. Merida is a princess. There WILL be times when she will have to don a more traditional look. I mean, she won't be carrying her bow to a royal banquet of some sort. Does this somehow lessen everything else she has accomplished or stood for?
    Like the looks for the other Princesses, this isn't a different version to be used for certain occasions. The new looks are the dominate look.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Like the looks for the other Princesses, this isn't a different version to be used for certain occasions. The new looks are the dominate look.
    There will still be tons of merch emphasizing Merida's original strength and not just this newfound "sexiness." At least with the more recent films, screen shots and renderings with the original style will still exist. T shirts of Merida with her bow and original looks will still exist. Original Merida costumes will exist. Toys and plushies that have no trace of the new look will still exist .

But I will admit the original looks are much harder to find when it comes to the classic princesses.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Senior Minion

Merida is a princess. There WILL be times when she will have to don a more traditional look. I mean, she won't be carrying her bow to a royal banquet of some sort. Does this somehow lessen everything else she has accomplished or stood for?
    If the original Merida dressed up for a royal banquet and left her bow at home, she wouldn't look anything like the Consumer Products "lips, tits & hips" redesign. Compare the original Merida to the makeover -- it's obvious that she's been Barbified into a glam babe.

As Beth Kassab wrote in the Orlando Sentinel:

Off-the-shoulder gown. Eye-liner. Lipstick. Wild red curls tamed into voluminous sexy locks. A coy expression enhanced by her new, fuller lips.

This is the Kardashian-ization of the Disney Princess.

Disney took sweet Merida and made her into a medieval siren. Merida is the only one of Disney's 11 princesses who doesn't end up with Prince Charming in the end. She bucks tradition by refusing to let her parents marry her off.

That doesn't mean she isn't feminine. Or that she isn't pretty. You can be pretty while holding a bow and arrow.

But she didn't fit the Disney princess template. In the movie Merida actually looked like the teenager that she's supposed to be, and she didn't wear makeup. Instead of falling into a prince's arms she begins to cherish her relationship with her mother.

Is it any wonder moms loved this movie? Now, though, Merida has gone sultry.

Disney apparently plans to use the cartoon marketing image on various products. That matters because those are the images we buy and bring into our homes. And the made-over image sends the message that Merida is better when she's glammed up.

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

A seven year-old (albeit under the watchful eye of a Mom who does not approve of the new Merida), calls the new Merida the "evil" Merida and said,

“The one in dark blue is smiling and her hair’s prettier 'cause it’s more like mine and 'cause the new one’s scary-pretty with all that blowy hair and cat-eyes. The new one looks mean and I don’t know her.”

Disney Princess Merida makeover: A 7-year-old’s verdict on the 'Brave' heroine - CSMonitor.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    If the original Merida dressed up for a royal banquet and left her bow at home, she wouldn't look anything like the Consumer Products "lips, tits & hips" redesign. Compare the original Merida to the makeover -- it's obvious that she's been Barbified into a glam babe.
    The biggest change is that Merida's eyes have been elongated/made bigger (what make-up does), and that she lost a small amount of weight around the waist and looks thinner in the face. Her breasts are not enlarged, based on the photos, and her hips seem to be the same size.

It could be argued that Merida has been age-enhanced, and made to look older, as others have pointed out, the Merida from Brave probably was supposed to be a young teenager, and she certainly acted like somebody who was still at home and having conflicts with her mom though I don't know why'd they'd make Merida older, though the theme park merida played by face characters sure looks a lot older than 14 and looks like new Merida.

When I saw new Merida I thought it might signal that Brave 2 would have an older Merida, perhaps one who is a queen now and having conflicts with her daughter.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

There will still be tons of merch emphasizing Merida's original strength and not just this newfound "sexiness." At least with the more recent films, screen shots and renderings with the original style will still exist. T shirts of Merida with her bow and original looks will still exist. Original Merida costumes will exist. Toys and plushies that have no trace of the new look will still exist .

But I will admit the original looks are much harder to find when it comes to the classic princesses.
    The change is new, and may be getting reconsidered. The merchandise would eventually be replaced like with the other princesses.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The biggest change is that Merida's eyes have been elongated/made bigger (what make-up does), and that she lost a small amount of weight around the waist and looks thinner in the face. Her breasts are not enlarged, based on the photos, and her hips seem to be the same size.
    In point of fact the design changes are much more numerous and all-encompassing, as I noted in my previous post. The Consumer Products "Barbified" Merida is a different character whose design details and attitude clearly communicate a different personality, age and self view. It is precisely that "I'm glamorous and sultry" self view, absent from the original Merida, which Disney has added; it is at the core of the Consumer Products design aesthetic for the Disney Princess line.

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

And what I understand the least is where are the parents these days to teach that being a human being is not a dichotomy of beautiful vs strong. Why do we support this notion? Why are we not taught to admire beauty AND strength?

This whole thing sort of reminds me of when America Ferrera lost weight. She was criticized and insulted by her fans who claimed she sold out and other mean things like that. Unfortunately this all just shows that looks matter way too much to both sides of the debate. Whether we want someone to look one way for the screen, or another way for our self esteem...I just feel like humans and their bodies are being used for other's gain.

I can see that many wanted Merida to be a sort of champion for women's rights. True that she'd didn't want to go with the arranged marriage, but what I got out of the film was the rebellious teenager and this massive power struggle with her mom, and lots of great action sequences with bears. The whole mess with the bears was Merida's doing as she sort of fell in with the bad crowd, i.e. a witch who created a monster bear to kill people just to teach him a lesson!

As anybody who has raised girls knows, they eventually want to experiment with make-up and you have to set limits. There are tons of make-up tutorials for Disney princesses online and somehow our six year knows about them and begs to watch them and we have to say no, or only for a minute and explain she is too old to put on make-up.

If she does want to dress up as Merida on Halloween with a small amount of make-up, a frilly dress, maybe a bow, then there are a lot worse princesses to dress up as, yes?

I don't necessarily agree with the "plastic surgery", but if Merida wants to lose a couple pounds by riding off on her horse and doing archery, then that would make sense as she seems to have gotten her freedom!, though Merida's change in waist seems small, and she was never overweight in the film.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 05-14-2013 at 12:32 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In point of fact the design changes are much more numerous and all-encompassing, as I noted in my previous post. The Consumer Products "Barbified" Merida is a different character whose design details and attitude clearly communicate a different personality, age and self view. It is precisely that "I'm glamorous and sultry" self view, absent from the original Merida, which Disney has added; it is at the core of the Consumer Products design aesthetic for the Disney Princess line.

Its kinda stereotyping and generalizing to look at a character and make assumptions about her self-view and personality based on appearance. By drawing conclusions about characters based on superficial appearance, Chapman and others have made the Merida debate about what she looks like, not what she does. If Merida grew older, she might look more like new Merida than the old one.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Its kinda stereotyping and generalizing to look at a character and make assumptions about her self-view and personality based on appearance. By drawing conclusions about characters based on superficial appearance, Chapman and others have made the Merida debate about what she looks like, not what she does. If Merida grew older, she might look more like new Merida than the old one.
    Walt Disney Consumer Products initiated the discussion when they changed Merida's look so that she would fit in with the other recently redesigned Princesses. She had to look different in order to be a true Disney Princess.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast