Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Brave creator criticizes Disney for changing Merida into a weaker, sexier charact

Re: Brave creator criticizes Disney for changing Merida into a weaker, sexier charact

Sounds like the kind of thing they come up with a bit later to deflect criticism to me. But am I the only one who finds some of the comments troubling, like wearing dresses and wanting to be feminine is evil or something? I get that it's not Merida's style and it homogenizes her with the other girls, but let's not pretend that she's the super-feminist role model (and why is it only girls who need role models, anyways? You never hear about the Princes being male role models) just because she didn't want to wear a dress or marry a lunkheaded boy. There's a bit more to it than that.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You're right. I was being wry.

Nobody's saying that it's wrong to wear dresses, to be pretty, or be sexy.

Just that that's not the only way to be, and the Disney princess line seems to only put out that one image. Barbie-skinny, the "I'm available" eyes, and all the rest.

It's like saying vanilla is the only flavor. What's wrong with vanilla? Nothing. But there are other great flavors. There's nothing wrong with a woman (or a teen girl) feeling and being pretty and sexy, but dude. There's more to us than that.

I think the princes aren't male role models in part because boys have *lots* of examples of adult men that they could emulate. Girls? Not so much. It's getting better, but our expected roles are still narrower than that of boys.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Awesome post!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

Just that that's not the only way to be, and the Disney princess line seems to only put out that one image. Barbie-skinny, the "I'm available" eyes, and all the rest.

It's like saying vanilla is the only flavor. What's wrong with vanilla? Nothing. But there are other great flavors. There's nothing wrong with a woman (or a teen girl) feeling and being pretty and sexy, but dude. There's more to us than that.

I think the princes aren't male role models in part because boys have *lots* of examples of adult men that they could emulate. Girls? Not so much. It's getting better, but our expected roles are still narrower than that of boys.

Brilliantly said.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    Sexism is always a general issue in every society, and in addition it works both ways. For example, Chapman clearly implied that she had a problem with being replaced as director by a man--not necessarily because he was a hack (and his reputation would suggest otherwise), but specifically because of his gender. Did she feel that only a woman could have successfully directed this movie?
    Yes, but it tends to run far more in one direction than in the other. In regards to Chapman's comment, it helps to take into consideration the current state of Hollywood. Count the number of female directors who have directed a major motion picture in 2012 and then count the male ones. There aren't many of the former, are there? I took Chapman's comment as her pointing out that Disney just followed the status quo.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Nail on the head right here. 100% spot on and well said.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Yeah, the curves are a bit weird since she's REALLY young in the movie. I don't see "I'm available" come-hither eyes on the new design, though- I'm not sure where people are getting that from. Many of the other Princesses also just have big wide-open innocent eyes, so it's not all of them with that look (the new Belle looks quite seductive, though). Merida just looks like they did the standard 2-d transition from 3-d, eye-wise.

Agreed- it's my biggest issue with the whole design change. Merida is the one Princess who's NOT like that, and they gussied her up with the standard superfeminine design. I'm still waiting to see what the rest of the design stuff looks like- the bow may not be entirely missing.

I think every female since Ariel (who was criticized for man-chasing) has been a "role model" character, save maybe Rapunzel (who was idealistic but silly). I don't see a lot of role model types for boys these days either, though they were once quite common. Now mostly we get Dopey Dads and Dumb Older Brother characters for the boys. Or just super-heroes . Of course, most super-heroes are hyper-aggressive or sarcastic, so may not be ideal for kids to look up to.

Hm, having checked out some of the dolls myself, I don't think the Barbification was complete, and she isn't super-sexualized. I didn't even see the 2-D art in question that set off many people on any of the packages. Merida's got a BIT of a bustline, and her lips are more defined, but there's definitely no "come hither" eyes, and one of the dolls even keeps the bow (another has the brothers I think, and another has the horse). Her head is also still pretty huge, making it clear she's a kid compared to the other girls.

There's still sparkly dress-looking things, but they're a bit different than the ballroom gowns (or the super-tight head-covering thingie the movie had) the other Princesses have.

So at least doll-wise, I don't think this was so bad.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Hm, having checked out some of the dolls myself, I don't think the Barbification was complete, and she isn't super-sexualized.
    She doesn't have to be "super" sexualized to perpetuate the gender stereotype that if you're a girl, what counts most is how you look.

As was well stated in this CNN op-ed piece, "For strong daughters, stop with the sex stereotypes"...

(CNN) -- When the rocket scientist Yvonne Brill died in March, The New York Times celebrated her as the maker of a "mean beef stroganoff" and "the world's best mother." When my 4-year-old daughter, Ellie, a wildly creative and interesting girl, finished a year of preschool last week, her teachers gave her an award for being the best dressed.

A few years ago at my son's preschool camp award ceremony, I sat silently as well-meaning counselors called each child forward. Girls: best hair, best clothes, best friend, best helper and best artist. Boys: best runner, best climber, best builder and best thrower. My son won best soccer player. In general, girls received awards for their personalities and appearance and boys for their actions and physical attributes.

It was similar at my daughter's ceremony, where the teacher told us that all the children were so excited to see what award they would receive; it had obviously been built up as a big deal. The gender disparity was subtle but present.

A boy received best engineer. A girl got best friend. Another girl was the best helper, and another most compassionate. A boy received best break dancer. A girl was named most athletic, and the teacher told us how when all the class raced around the track this girl "beat everyone! Even the boys!" And then my daughter got her certificate, showing her in a funky orange sweater, tight pants, and holding a bowling ball. Her award -- best dressed.

Many decades after the feminist movement of the 1960s, why are we still stuck in this gender-norming rut?

...Our culture constantly projects the message that only appearances matter, and this message is aimed squarely at our children. We can fight this only by working against the grain, resisting gendered language and emphasizing the internal over the external.

Sadly, what Disney Consumer products did with their makeover of Merida is exactly the opposite: emphasizing the external over the internal.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

And those subtle messages have an effect. Best tactic is open discussion, bring it into the realm of the conscious realm, where it can be handled with logic. Otherwise it sits in the unconscious, and gets internalized, and is invisible.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678