Comedian Dane Cook (Planes) Angers Hometown of Boston

The one and only reason I posted this here is because of Disney's new film Planes out in August has the comedian Dane Cook providing the voice for the main character. I'm kind of iffy on being a Cook fan, I've only seen him in one film. That "orientation video" for Costco otherwise known as Employee of the Month. But for Disney's sake, I hope this blows over before August, otherwise I don't think the film will do too well in the Boston area if movie goers find out who stars in the film.

Yahoo! (Not sure why the link says just that. But it does go to the story. Otherwise, just read the excerpt below.)

I won't quote box the whole article because it also discusses other highlights of the charity event. But the first part of it discussed the hatred towards one of Boston's own.

The Boston Strong benefit concert that streamed over the web Thursday night was notable for appearances by homegrown artists ranging from Aerosmith to the reunited New Kids on the Block. But the most talked about act of the night was Dane Cook... and not because America suddenly fell in love with him all over again.

The hostility toward Cook toward the end of the show became rampant enough that the comedian became a trending topic on Twitter out of sheer contempt. He's always been a polarizing comic, but what caused him to become a social media supervillain on a night devoted to charity and good vibes? Just this: The web feed being viewed by millions went dead as soon as he took the stage and came back on as soon as he left, leading to rampant speculation that he had disallowed organizers from sending his set over the web like everyone else's.

Eventually Cook confirmed it himself, sounding blithe about the rampant contempt directed his way: "Hey everyone sorry my set was not a part of the live stream or televised! I didn't want any of the new material to hit the airwaves yet! I can't wait to share it soon!"

If the marathon bombings made Bostonians mad, Cook's "Dane Cook move" (as one angry tweeter put it) might have been the one thing that could have enraged locals even more. Jeff Howe, a sports writer for the Boston Herald, unleashed a series of tweets bashing the comic. "Couldn't imagine turning on a city the way @DaneCook did tonight. I know that's not how it goes here in Massachusetts... I'll admit, I used to think he was hilarious, but turning your back on your state makes you look like a squirrel... Why use a tragedy to tease your career?"

Other Boston residents or sympathizers joined in on Twitter: "I have loved Dane Cook since day 1, but I am just speechless on what he did tonight. Feel betrayed"... "If this rumor is true about Dane Cook blocking the stream of his performance for a charity show, he should rot in hell asap"... "Dane Cook right up the with Onizneb as the shame of Massachusetts"... "We will always forgive Doug Flutie for the gym shorts, but we will never forgive Dane Cook for being Dane Cook"... "If Dane Cook wasn't just censored and he blocked it himself, he has become public enemy number 1"... "I hear Dane Cook earned $100,000 for Boston charities by auctioning off his exit from the stage"... And so on.

Cook did allow himself to appear on camera for the all-star finale, joining Aerosmith for the the classic rock song "Dirty Water" and wielding Steven Tyler's mic stand, apparently unaware of the fact that he'd just become the most discussed alleged evildoer in America. As one tweeter wrote, "Watching Dane Cook sing and dance oblivious to the fact Boston hates him is the funniest thing he has done in years!"

At first, viewers figured there might be technical difficulties when the feed dropped out moments after Cook came on stage, since the first third of the five-hour-plus concert was plagued by streaming difficulties that rendered the show virtually unwatchable. That buffering disaster caused untold thousands to tune out of the broadcast and stirred up its own social-media firestorm, until the streaming finally smoothed out at about the time Jason Aldean took the stage two hours into the show.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Comedian Dane Cook (Planes) Angers Hometown of Boston

Actually, Planes is not a Pixar movie, it is a DisneyToon Studios movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Actually, Planes is not a Pixar movie, it is a DisneyToon Studios movie.
    Oops. My only mistake. Posting it in the wrong area. I know I didn't use the word Pixar in the post.

It can be moved to the correct one.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• i believe in faeries.

i wonder if it'll make a big difference in regards to planes... i've seen dane cook's standup (for example), and it can get pretttttyyyyy raunchy. but i would still let my son watch planes, mainly because he's into planes.

things like this might hurt cook's career, though.

Well I am sure his performance in it is very clean. My post was in regards to his reputation and marketability for the film when it comes closer to release. Boston has been through a lot and don't take kindly to disrespect. If they hold a grudge, I can't see the film doing to well there if they see that he's the main voice in the film. Though a lot would still go see it for the family or entertainment value since it is Disney. But they could still lose $ for it. Yes he would hurt from it, and Disney may or may not have to do some damage control for it.

• Heavy Breather

I don't see this little incident affecting Planes performance at all. It's still gonna be a terrible movie though. Brought to us by the same people who brought us such "classics" as Hunchback II and Cinderella III, everybody loved those movies, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I don't see this little incident affecting Planes performance at all. It's still gonna be a terrible movie though. Brought to us by the same people who brought us such "classics" as Hunchback II and Cinderella III, everybody loved those movies, right?
    One thing I fear is that Brent Musburger (however you spell it) will be doing a voice in it. Probably the Cars equivalent to Bob "Cutlass". I don't care for Brent, especially since his whole Ms Alabama incident. One funny note is that both Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards will also be doing guest voices in it, as a pair of Super Hornets. Hmmm, gee I wonder why? Guess their more aptly known co-star was lost in oblivion and couldn't make it.

• Heavy Breather

I don't think Tom Cruise would settle for co-star status.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I don't think Tom Cruise would settle for co-star status.
    He made a co-star cameo appearance in Tropic Thunder.

Or at least as a supporting actor.

• Disney Dork

I don't think this will have much effect on Planes as there's plenty else to carry the film. And I'm certainly no Dane Cook fan, but as a comedian, I can see why he may not have had a choice in the matter. It takes 2-3 years to write an hour of material. And if he's selling his new special to HBO or whoever, then they won't want that material on TV before the special comes out. Comedy is a perishable item.

What he should have done was write a few minutes of stuff to do just for that special and not have to black himself out.

Hey I'm just surprised this thread made this week's round up. I wasn't expecting it.