• Heavy Breather

Monsters University-Who's Excited?

When Monsters Inc was released in 2001 it was another smash hit by the now mega famous Pixar Animation.

It was filled with heart, humor, and topped with great voice talent and animation it was one of Pixar's best.

12 years later, we get to revisit Monstropolis, but we don't get to see Mile and Sully make energy for the city. We see the first time they meet in college(even though in the first movie Mike mentions knowing Sully since 4th grade).

At first I was very very disappointed. I wanted to see how the new laughter fueled energy worked out for the monsters, I wanted to see Boo again, I wanted to see how the story would advance after Sully opened that repaired door at the end of the first film.

But as more trailers and info was released for the movie I began to become more excited. Yet a large hint of skepticism is lingering in my subconscious.

I want to hear from all of you, what do you think? Let this thread be a discussion ground for the next two weeks and hopefully a review fueled thread following the days of the films release. Discuss away my fellow Mice-ateers, and May the Force be with you all.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Monsters University-Who's Excited?

Say it ain't so! Chris Bumbray says, "Monsters University is really lame as far as Pixar movies go."

Read the full, depressing review here: Review: Monsters University - Movie News | JoBlo.com

• Heavy Breather

It currently holds an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. So maybe it'll be better than Brave.

• Closed Account

Going tonight for a pre screening, a local newspaper had a contest running tickets to. From what I have heard so far, I am not having high expectations, especially after how bad Cars 2 was.

• Closed Account

Well, unlike Oz The Great And Powerful, I made it through the entire movie of Monster's University last night. The pre-screening was a lot of fun with contest winners from all over the area there. The free popcorn, candy, and soda vouchers for use at the concession stand made the pre-screening enjoyable. There were lots of people there with kids as young as 2, and I think the kids were the ones who got the least out of the movie. There were more kids crying than I have ever heard at a Disney movie, which was sort of surprising to me.

WARNING: THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD
    So, what did I think about it...I will try not to spoil anything. I think the concept of Monster's University was a great one. Monster's University and all of the characters that we meet along the way are bright, colorful, cheerful, and fun loving. And then there is Mike and Sulley. Call me crazy, but I wish that it would have been a stand alone movie called Monster's University and not tried to bring Mike and Sulley into it. Mike and Sulley, while there, were not lovable like in the first movie, and were actually the reason that so many kids were crying.

Their relationship was filled with "adult problems" on screen and it was really like a dramatic soap opera within a Disney movie for lack of a better way to describe it. The monsters are so well done in the movie. They are lovable, creepy, scary, funny, and everything all rolled into one. You sit on the edge of your seat, wanting to know what those monsters are going to do next. And then, there is Mike and Sulley, who don't fit into the movie, but we had to throw them in because they are what the franchise is based on. It was just so apparent that they didn't fit in to the setting.

The beginning drags on and on and on and on and on and you wonder if the movie will ever go anywhere, if there will ever be a point, or if we will be stuck in this just talking world. The idea of wanting to be scarier when you are lovable I think is what was most disturbing, because in Monster's Inc, neither Mike nor Sulley were scary but were lovable, and Mike wants to be the opposite of that, and it's almost like he's having an adult identity crisis in a kid's movie.

I felt that Monster's University transported me back in time to the 1980s and the grade b high school movies that were made, and I wonder why they tried to pull off a high school 1980s movie as an animated film. Additionally, I wondered if this film had a different name stamped on it other than Pixar, and if it was stand alone, not part of the Monster's Inc series, would the film be any good, and the answer was no. There was too much gabbing and not enough going on in the first half of the film. The film had some high points but it had ten times as many low points. It wasn't bad, it wasn't terrible, but it was a disappointment coming from the Monster's Inc series and coming from Pixar.

I wish they would have taken the characters sans Sulley and Mike and the concept of Monster's University, and made it about monsters going to school to learn to scare. Adding Mike and Sulley into this movie took away what little fun there was in the movie because they were so out of place. Even kids who like Sulley (he has way more fans than Mike it seems) were saying Sulley shouldn't be there. I talked to a five year old girl we were sitting next to who said it best "I don't get it" because she didn't get it. She loved the cheerleaders, the monsters, and everything else, but she couldn't understand how Mike and Sulley got there because it didn't make sense to her.

I was left completely underwhelmed, and wondering why I was so excited to see this film. I must say with Oz, Cars 2, and now Monster's University, I wonder where everything went wrong with Disney/Pixar, and I wonder if we will ever again see a truly great movie from either studio.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thank you for that detailed review, and thanks also for not giving away too much...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

In a time when marketing is king, the fortunes of Pixar, now owned by Disney, have risen or fallen based on the essential quality of its films. That's not because Pixar doesn't have a stellar marketing department, it does, but because that department has been able to drum up business based on the films themselves. When Pixar movies are good, we come out to see them in great numbers. When they're not as good, we come out to see them in proportionally lower numbers.

And then came "Monsters University." The sequel is a critical disappointment by Pixar standards. In fact, its 77% Rotten Tomatoes score puts it in a dismal No. 12 slot out of the 14 movies Pixar has released.

Yet it didn’t do No. 12 kind of business. It didn't even do No. 8 kind of business. "Monsters University" did No. 2 kind of business. Its $82 million in the U.S. on opening weekend is the second-biggest opening ever for a Pixar movie. Needless to say, there's never been a disconnect like this between reviewers and box office for a Pixar film.
    'Monsters University': Is Pixar's quality-success link over? - latimes.com

• Heavy Breather

Well, after seeing it this weekend. I can say that it was Ok.

I really liked it. I will be buying it on blue ray when it comes out. I was on a roll buying all the pixar movies until cars 2 which i did not like. Then brave came out which i liked but not enough to purchase but Monsters University was back up to what I expect from Pixar.

Haven't see it yet but what I always wondered was why they decided to go with a prequel instead of a sequel?? I would be much more hyped had it been a sequel.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Say it ain't so! Chris Bumbray says, "Monsters University is really lame as far as Pixar movies go."

Read the full, depressing review here: Review: Monsters University - Movie News | JoBlo.com

Just saw the film yesterday. It was the cartoon portion of my day, which included the thriller World War Z and the super action Man of Steel - all three in 3-D! The Monsters, Inc prequel was full of uncanny excitement. Just never new what was qoing to happen from one moment to the next. S

ulley and Mike (and their "scary"university friends ) got in to one engaging/suspenseful predicament after another, and they learned that success never evades those who keep on trying their best, even after stubling over mistake-ridden stumbling blocks. Give it ago everybody.

Siskel and Ebert are no longer with us! We're free to enjoy what they would give two thumbs down!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Well, after seeing it this weekend. I can say that it was Ok.
    Agree its not as good as the first....but we really liked it.
    For the love of Disney....

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
    Agree its not as good as the first....but we really liked it.
    My sentiments exactly.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!