Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

Re: Seaworld San Diego: When Killer Whales go wild

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    they eat/play with the birds all the time there. Some have learned how to regurgitate fish and when the birds land in the water to eat it they attack the birds.

here's a baby orca playing with a seagull it caught. (san deigo)

How cute. We were there on Monday and wondering about the sea birds as possible prey for the orcas - only because one seagull came in a little too close at feeding time.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I tell ya, we're all sadistic, We root for the giant killer whale, not the bird...

But that's OK, God made them big for a reason.

• Rather Be At Disneyland

I work at Sea World, and although i've never witnessed the whales catching a bird I know it happens every so often. Like some one else said, the whales are really well fd o they aren't looking to eat the birds, it's like a toy landed in the water and they want to play with it.

I've also heard of the Polar Bears baiting the birds. A co-worker told me of how one of the bears, spit some food out and pretended to be asleep. When the bird landed to eat the food, WHAM went the huge bear paw, and the bird was no more :P

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    Random note: I tend not to use the name Killer Whale since they are not really whales, rather they are large dolphins. However, the "Killer" part of their secondary name does fit. They are awesome creatures, if I don't say so myself.
    Although Killer Whales are dolphins, they are still whales because Dolphins are actually considered whales. All Dolphins are whales, but not all whales are dolphins.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRoyalty View Post
    I've also heard of the Polar Bears baiting the birds. A co-worker told me of how one of the bears, spit some food out and pretended to be asleep. When the bird landed to eat the food, WHAM went the huge bear paw, and the bird was no more :P
    That is one sneaky bear!

And the Orca Motto is:
    Humans are friends, not food.

• Rides against injustice

I'm sorry but I started laughing when i read that. It just reminds me of the old time Looney Tunes cartoons or something..
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Hall Of Promise

Although Killer Whales are dolphins, they are still whales because Dolphins are actually considered whales. All Dolphins are whales, but not all whales are dolphins.
    I see where you're coming from and is correct in a terminology point of view. However it is not correct in a biological standpoint. Dolphins, whales, and porpoises are all part of the cetacea order, just like lemurs, monkeys, and apes are all part of the primate order. Yes, a lot of the species within the cetacea order could be considered whales, but calling them all whales is like calling all primates apes.

Order: Cetacea > Suborder: Odontoceti > Family: Delphinidae > Genus: Orcinus

• Rather Be At Disneyland

I might be a tad confused.

Yes, all lemurs, ares, monkeys, etc are Primates.

Killer Whales, Sperm Whales, Dolphins, etc. are all Cetaceans.

Like you said, it goes: Order: Cetacea > Suborder: Odontoceti > Family: Delphinidae > Genus: Orcinus Which means they are Cetaceans, and Cetus is Latin and is used in biological names to mean Whale. So, just like all apes are primates, all Dolphins are Cetaceans, which, in effect, means whale. So, Killer Whales are indeed dolphins, but are under the bigger order of Whale. So, all dolphins are whales..

That's how I see it, I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

• Ravenclaw

There was a really interesting show on the BBC about killer whale culture, and more specifically how it relates to the whales at SeaWorld. In short, it showed that there are pods of whales who feed exclusively on mammals and pods that feed exclusively on fish. The particular feeding culture of the respective pods are thought to be genetic, and it seems that the wild-caught whales of SeaWorld belonged to fish-eating pods, who then passed on this particular proclivity to their offspring.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    There was a really interesting show on the BBC about killer whale culture, and more specifically how it relates to the whales at SeaWorld. In short, it showed that there are pods of whales who feed exclusively on mammals and pods that feed exclusively on fish. The particular feeding culture of the respective pods are thought to be genetic, and it seems that the wild-caught whales of SeaWorld belonged to fish-eating pods, who then passed on this particular proclivity to their offspring.
    Cause it would be really sad to see the trainers throw the old clyde or seymore to them during Believe!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12