Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SeaWorld California to get Blue Horizons in 2010

Sources have told us that SeaWorld California has been given the final green light to update their current Dolphin show into a new version of Blue Horizons, a mixture of a dolphin and Cirque style show experience that opened at SeaWorld Orlando about four years ago. SeaWorld Texas also created a similar show the year before Orlando did and called it Viva. I don’t know if the new San Diego show will keep the Blue Horizons name or come up with a new one, but we’ve heard that it will likely be a fairly major overhaul to the facility.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: SeaWorld California to get Blue Horizons in 2010

Yes indeed. I meant to post this last week. Here's what we have learned so far from a respected source.

The new attraction is a part of the Blue Horizons dolphin show. The show will get a new set built on a truly gigantic scale. Show elements are expected to include bungee and trapeze artists, high divers, birds, and moving scenic elements. In addition, there will be water sprayers and in-pool fountains. The stadium is slated to add an extra tier of seating above what is there now to accommodate the expected increase in attendance.

Dolphin Discovery is slated to close right after Labor Day to accommodate construction and re-open with the new Blue Horizons on May 29th.

It is unknown what will happen in terms of an interim dolphin show, but there has been some discussion that the dolphins and pilot whales could be moved to the Shamu Close-Up tank during the renovation period, making a small temporary show possible.

We'll find out more in early or mid-August when this is officially announced.

Sounds like a great enhancement to the dolphin show!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Cars Land Rocks!

Sounds great. I try to make a trip to Sea World at least once a year.

• Ravenclaw

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hKCnjzwI4I]YouTube - Blue Horizons at Sea World Orlando (part 1 of 3)[/ame]

something like this...
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• C4C6C

Cool....The old show was getting boring anyways.

• Ravenclaw

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzdh9AIrhMI]YouTube - NEW DOLPHIN SHOW AT SEAWORLD[/ame]

The official announcement!

• Ravenclaw

SOMETHING NEW ON THE HORIZON AT SEAWORLD SAN DIEGO:
    NEW DOLPHIN SHOW IS THEATRICAL SPECTACULAR
    SAN DIEGO (Aug. 5, 2009) –
    There’s something new on the horizon at SeaWorld: a breakthrough theatrical spectacular that unites sea and sky with visions of Broadway as it showcases majestic animals and spirited performers. “Blue Horizons” — featuring energetic bottlenose dolphins, a colorful array of exotic birds and amazing acrobatic performers — is scheduled to open May 2010 at SeaWorld San Diego. “We’re delighted to bring ‘Blue Horizons’ to SeaWorld,” says the park’s general manager and executive vice president, Andy Fichthorn. “Dolphins are one of the most beloved and adored animals in the world, and it’s exciting to combine the grace and energy of such an amazing creature with a theatrical production that will be truly spectacular. We believe our guests will love this new and fantastic show. "To create “Blue Horizons,” SeaWorld collaborated with the entertainment industry’s
    most inventive and artistic experts, marrying great theatrical extravagance — seen in the larger-than-life set, dramatic costuming and intriguing show development — with the aweinspiring feats of SeaWorld animals and trainers.
    At the center of “Blue Horizons” is Marina, a young girl whose vivid imagination sets the stage for an extravaganza of graceful dolphins, magnificent pilot whales and a rainbow of exotic birds. “Blue Horizons” features action both above and under the water, as a cast of divers and aerialists, dressed in eye-catching costumes symbolizing sea and sky, plunge off the elaborate set into, and also propel out of, the deep blue water. “ ‘Blue Horizons’ is truly unique as it seamlessly blends the amazing power and grace of SeaWorld’s dolphins and pilot whales with the lavish splendor of Broadway,” said Stanley Meyer, “Blue Horizons” set designer and show consultant. Meyer, best known for his work designing the Broadway musical ”Beauty and the Beast,” created the set for SeaWorld Orlando’s “Blue Horizons,” which has been a hit with audiences there since 2005. “Only SeaWorld could create such a spectacular concept, a type of show that can be seen nowhere else in the world,” said Meyer. “It sets a completely new benchmark for aweinspiring entertainment.” Using elements of the sea and sky — and a young girl’s vivid imagination — as his inspiration, Meyer designed a whimsical, yet dramatic, atmosphere with an immense rising

SOMETHING NEW ON THE HORIZON AT SEAWORLD
    Page 2

sun, hundreds of iridescent bubbles, and an elaborate, 40-foot-high framework which
    envelops the pool and balances divers and aerialists as they plunge from bungees and soar
    on “cloud swings.” While these characters sway through the sky and dive off the set, the true stars of the show grace the waters below. SeaWorld’s dolphins and pilot whales leap their way into this dreamy adventure. African crowned cranes, coral bills, black vultures and other bird species soar over the audience as they ascend toward the horizon. The stirring, original musical score for “Blue Horizons” is performed by the Seattle Symphony Orchestra. At SeaWorld San Diego, Dolphin Stadium will be completely transformed for “Blue Horizons,” including an entirely new set; trusses, diving boards and bungee swings for the aerialists and divers; a new sound system; high-tech water features; and an additional 700 seats for guests.
    SeaWorld’s current dolphin show, “Dolphin Discovery,” debuted in 1996 and is one of the longest running shows in the park’s 45-year history. It showcases SeaWorld’s family of bottlenose dolphins and pilot whales in a high-energy show with some surprise comic moments. The “Dolphin Discovery” finale will take place Labor Day weekend so that construction can begin. During construction, guests will still be able to enjoy a special dolphin show, which will take place at Shamu Stadium beginning in late November 2009.

SeaWorld San Diego is one of 10 Worlds of Discovery operated by Busch Entertainment Corporation, the family entertainment division of Anheuser-Busch InBev. Other Worlds of Discovery include SeaWorld parks in Orlando, Fla. and San Antonio; Busch Gardens Africa in Tampa, Fla. and Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg, Va.; Discovery Cove in Orlando; Sesame Place in Langhorne, Pa. near Philadelphia; Aquatica, SeaWorld’s water park in Orlando; and water parks Adventure Island in Tampa and Water Country USA in Williamsburg. Worlds of Discovery, based in Orlando, play host to more than 25 million guests each year and employ more than 21,000 people nationwide. Leaders in conservation and education, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Discovery Cove care for the largest animal collection in the world and offer an education Web site especially for students and teachers at www.seaworld.org. Information on the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund is at www.swbg-conservationfund.org. General park information is found at www.seaworld.com.
    --SeaWorld--
    Last edited by Exprmnt626; 08-08-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: formatting....

Oh no, I thought they were going to be getting away from this, I really hate it at the park. I knew when the moved the comersons dolphins over to that new ride things were a changing for a direction I did not like. I miss the old water ski show too.
    I like acrobats and all but the costumes and music gets old in a hurry for me. Oh well thats why the SD Zoological society gets my membership money. Well them and Disney.

• Seasick

I saw this show in 2006, and I still listen to the soundtrack. Wonderful music.

Not really my type of show to be honest, I prefer my animal shows to be less theatrical and more focused on the educational aspect.

But, this show is really well done for what it is.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Misses WDW

I'm all for a new show, but they can't get rid of the lighthouse keeper who sings the "SeaWorld Wet" song...

Say it ain't so!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhanasRules View Post
    I'm all for a new show, but they can't get rid of the lighthouse keeper who sings the "SeaWorld Wet" song...

Say it ain't so!

If you're sittin' in the first 12 rows
    There's somthin' you ought to know
    There's a 50/50 bet
    You'll get 100% WET

And don't look so surprised (oh my hair)
    When the water get's in your eyes
    We just thought you'd want to know
    About the imminent H2O!

I love that song too
    Find us on Facebook:

• www.JonAutopsy.com

A good friend of mine is one of the dolphin show "hosts" at SW San Diego. I'll try to get some details from him and see what he thinks of the whole idea.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Ravenclaw

it's too bad the show hosts won't be part of Blue Horizons.

• DTL= Disney Thug Love

Quote Originally Posted by OhanasRules View Post

Say it ain't so!

Thanks guys! I'm one of the last 4 lighthouse keepers left, we're all out of the job in 2 weeks. :-/ Thanks for the support!
    DTL

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gray View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm one of the last 4 lighthouse keepers left, we're all out of the job in 2 weeks. :-/ Thanks for the support!
    I'm so sorry to hear that Mr.Gray! Are their other performer spots open for you at the park? If not, we wish you well in your search. And thank you for warning us about the impending H2O for all these years!!!
    Find us on Facebook:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast